HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:57 PM

Thanks. I should clarify that we don't want to spend that much, we're just forced to in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebubu View Post
For $1800/month you can live like a king in Winnipeg. Housing is relativley cheap, some of the lowest in western Canada.
I also appreciate the info about Osborne Village... if you've been to NYC, you probably know that we have crazy and drunk people everywhere - even in the nicest neighborhoods - so we're kind of used to this.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 7:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

won't be anything like ny but it will be winnipeg

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 10:23 PM
I Like It When You Hit Me

attitudes like this are so lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskyscraper View Post
note about Osborne Village:

its cool but there are lots of losers and trash around there too.

quite frankly your best bet is anywhere between Hugo and Wilton off of Corydon.

Crescentwood, especially with your finances.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 11:30 PM
A long time gone

Hi I moved to study at UoM 3 years ago from Italy, so my impressions might be interesting to you...

I've lived in Osborne Village and yes there is more life around but really it's just a section of a street... The commercial buildings are just cardboard boxes (very dull) and the housing buildings are either apartment blocks or very old houses not very well kept... Also I agree with who said is very trashy, and unsafe in my opinion.

I'd say if you want something reminiscent of an urban experience just live anywhere downtown, like close to the Assiniboine River, the Exchange, West End, etc.
If you want a typical Winnipeg experience = elm trees dotted streets and old, beautiful houses but very little street life, then either River Heights, Corydon, Wolseley or South Osborne (the last one not well connected by transit to UoM though).

But I'd like to warn you that there is no "real" urban experience in Winnipeg, nothing like a bustling street where you need to walk through people, or where you can just stroll looking at shops, Winnipeg is (still) very suburban and you'll need a car. I don't have one and after moving from Fort Richmond to Osborne Village to Old St. Vital to Crescent Park desperately looking for that urban experience, I'll end up living in South Pembina close to UoM, a wasteland indeed but the only true comfortable option for people without a car who attend UoM and don't want to spend hours getting to grocery store, a shop or to work.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 11:35 PM
I am a typical

"you'll need a car."

I live in Thunder Bay, and I don't need a car. Public transit, biking and walking are enough to get me where I need to go. The only time I have really needed a vehicle in the past 3 years is when I moved.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 1:25 AM

Spirited Energy, is there a grocery store within walking distance to where you live?
Thanks for your perspective. I took a lovely trip to Torino last year.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 7:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

nothing compares to ny winnipeg is more laid back cosy feeling u get chubks of the urban feel in difrent parts of town

osborn village has a safeway locaded just off osborn on river witch makes it esayer for not needing a car ur connected to the transit and the bike trails and still close to the forks and the river walk when its not flooded

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 6:52 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
Hi I moved to study at UoM 3 years ago from Italy, so my impressions might be interesting to you...

I've lived in Osborne Village and yes there is more life around but really it's just a section of a street... The commercial buildings are just cardboard boxes (very dull) and the housing buildings are either apartment blocks or very old houses not very well kept... Also I agree with who said is very trashy, and unsafe in my opinion.

I'd say if you want something reminiscent of an urban experience just live anywhere downtown, like close to the Assiniboine River, the Exchange, West End, etc.
If you want a typical Winnipeg experience = elm trees dotted streets and old, beautiful houses but very little street life, then either River Heights, Corydon, Wolseley or South Osborne (the last one not well connected by transit to UoM though).

But I'd like to warn you that there is no "real" urban experience in Winnipeg, nothing like a bustling street where you need to walk through people, or where you can just stroll looking at shops, Winnipeg is (still) very suburban and you'll need a car. I don't have one and after moving from Fort Richmond to Osborne Village to Old St. Vital to Crescent Park desperately looking for that urban experience, I'll end up living in South Pembina close to UoM, a wasteland indeed but the only true comfortable option for people without a car who attend UoM and don't want to spend hours getting to grocery store, a shop or to work.
That about sums it up. But that's not to say that this is anything at all like some U.S. city with nothing but freeways and no one on the streets but bums. In fact there are no freeways at all (the largest city in North America, by far, without any) and some very pleasant areas on a human scale that are kind of lacking in actual humans to try them out. I would still say that you'd probably best be looking at Crescentwood, a bit away from the "street life" of Osborne Village but close enough to walk there in 5-10 minutes. It is a very nice looking area, especially in wintertime.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 1:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

best sujestion would be to take a couple days trip maybe a week and check the city out

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 6:32 AM
Back from the dead

I don't know....I"m going to Changchun , China for about a year and when I get back , I plan to call Fort Rouge my home. Fort Rouge is basically the area around Osborne Village nycer. It's about as urban as you'll get in this city which is mostly to say that you'll never forget that you're not the only person alive for a thousand miles in any direction.

Just remember , don't come looking for a slice of New York...you just won't find it in Winnipeg. Winnipeg is one of those cities that you can only appreciate by not comparing it to somewhere else. Once you realize this , you'll see it's a gem. Besides...there aren't really many places on earth that can compare to New York.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 3:47 PM

Thanks. I don't expect any place to be like NYC... just looking for an area where I could walk around a bit and buy a few things without having a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I don't know....I"m going to Changchun , China for about a year and when I get back , I plan to call Fort Rouge my home. Fort Rouge is basically the area around Osborne Village nycer. It's about as urban as you'll get in this city which is mostly to say that you'll never forget that you're not the only person alive for a thousand miles in any direction.

Just remember , don't come looking for a slice of New York...you just won't find it in Winnipeg. Winnipeg is one of those cities that you can only appreciate by not comparing it to somewhere else. Once you realize this , you'll see it's a gem. Besides...there aren't really many places on earth that can compare to New York.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post
attitudes like this are so lame.
your signature is lame, real classy.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:15 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskyscraper View Post
your signature is lame, real classy.
All you gotta do is dig a little deeper, my friend:

"My Favorite Chords" by The Weakerthans

They're tearing up streets again.
They're building a new hotel.
The Mayor's out killing kids to keep taxes down,
and me and my anger sit folding a paper bird,
letting the curtains turn to beating wings.

Wish I had a socket-set to dismantle this morning.
And just one pair of clean socks.
And a photo of you.

When you get off work tonight,
meet me at the construction site,
and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines,
like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard.
We hope you get to be happy sometimes."

Bring your swiss-army knife, and a bottle of something,
and I'll bring some spraypaint and a new deck of cards.
Hey I found the safest place to keep all our tenderness.
Keep all our bad ideas. Keep all our hope.

It's here in the smallest bones, the feet and the inner-ear.
It's such an enormous thing to walk and to listen.
I'd like to fall asleep to the beat of you breathing
in a room near a truckstop on a highway somewhere.

You are a radio. You are an open door.
I am a faulty string of blue christmas lights.
You swim through frequencies.
You let that stranger in, as I'm blinking off and on and off again.
We've got a lot of time.
Or maybe we don't, but I'd like to think so, so let me pretend.

These are my favourite chords.
I know you like them too.
When I get a new guitar, you can have this one and sing me a lullaby.
Sing me the alphabet.
Sing me a story I haven't heard yet.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:16 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Winnipeg is one of those cities that you can only appreciate by not comparing it to somewhere else. Once you realize this , you'll see it's a gem. Besides...there aren't really many places on earth that can compare to New York.
I completely disagree ... Winnipeg holds its own against most other cities.

I love NYC and while nobody would confuse Winnipeg with NYC ... thats not to suggest it still has its own charm. Winnipeg has its share of culture, business, history, heritage, sports and recreaction, just on a smaller scale to that of the city many consider the premier city of the world.

I would also suggest that parts of the exchange could be interchanged with Soho with the slightest amount of imagination.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 3:43 AM
surely you agree with me

yeah, winnipeg isnt new york, but its urban form and quality stacks up against any city of a million people or less in north america....to be honest it is more urban than many cities several times larger in the states, outside of the eastern seaboard.

i would put its residential neighbourhoods (wolseley, river heights, crescentwood, riverview, wildwood) up against those in any city on this continent.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 4:07 AM

thank you, I look forward to visiting and checking out the various neighborhoods you all have recommended.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 6:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

can i add a bike tour to list of offers?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 3:27 PM

Just as long as it's not during the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
can i add a bike tour to list of offers?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 4:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hahah sure though we do have a large number of winter cyclists lol

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 6:12 PM
I am a typical

He can take a bike ride threw winnipeg!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan