HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #361  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:15 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 537
HDRC staff recommends approval.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #362  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:23 PM
Runner Runner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 65
If you don't like what's going on in San Antonio then by all means please move to Dallas or Houston!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #363  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 3:02 PM
micahinsa micahinsa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 186
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the relationships here, but Zachry is simply the operator/contractor for the development, right?

Those renderings had Overland on them, so it would appear Zachry hired Overland for the design phase. So surely if there’s enough displeasure voiced, Zachry could choose a different firm to do the designs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #364  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:52 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
HDRC staff recommends approval.
That statement seems off to me. Who said this?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #365  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:54 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If you don't like what's going on in San Antonio then by all means please move to Dallas or Houston!
Oh, yeah, that's the spirit. If you don't like something, get out! LOL

I don't know how to express myself as a normal person and I like anything that gets developed, so get out! LOL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #366  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:55 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,433
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #367  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 6:17 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
https://tce-live2.s3.amazonaws.com/m...6f6189096d.jpg[/QUOTE]


Upon looking at this, I have that face that Charlie Brown gave after reading "Forget, Kid" from a heart candy on Valentine's day.

That is one ugly building, regardless of height.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #368  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:08 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
That statement seems off to me. Who said this?
Read the agenda item.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #369  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 9:38 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 753
I think the first story of the two mixed use buildings is actually really cool and unique (with the limestone/brick facades and arches and stuff). I also dig the barrel vault ceiling thing going on with the market building. The other 90% of this I'm not crazy about, but I can live with it. As others said, it's very "safe". Maybe the residential component will be a little more interesting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #370  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 9:56 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the relationships here, but Zachry is simply the operator/contractor for the development, right?

Those renderings had Overland on them, so it would appear Zachry hired Overland for the design phase. So surely if there’s enough displeasure voiced, Zachry could choose a different firm to do the designs.
Don't count on it. The park redevelopment is all an inside job, with no obligation to public accountability. Quoting a comment somebody wrote about this development on another website:

"The Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation (HPARC, the corporation the City of San Antonio created to oversee the development of Hemisfair Park in 2009) awarded this development contract to a partnership between Zachry Hospitality and the NRP Group. David Zachry, current CEO of Zachry Hospitality, sat on the original board of directors of HPARC.

I’ll repeat that: HPARC awarded this development contract to the company of one of its former board members.

Additionally, I’m sure this part is just a coincidence but I’ll go ahead and mention it here anyway: Zachry Hospitality (an organization within the Zachry Corporation) was formed in 2009, the same year the City organized the Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp. and named David Zachry as a board member."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #371  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 1:29 AM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
umm... okay. As a published writer, I guess I still have a lot to learn, though I do not see how either "for" or "in" are wrong or right in context. Aside from grammar correcting, do you have something to add to the "opinion" of mine or are you just trying to incite soliloquy through use of grammar correction?

I'll wait.

Hilarious
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #372  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 3:23 AM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Don't count on it. The park redevelopment is all an inside job, with no obligation to public accountability. Quoting a comment somebody wrote about this development on another website:

"The Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation (HPARC, the corporation the City of San Antonio created to oversee the development of Hemisfair Park in 2009) awarded this development contract to a partnership between Zachry Hospitality and the NRP Group. David Zachry, current CEO of Zachry Hospitality, sat on the original board of directors of HPARC.

I’ll repeat that: HPARC awarded this development contract to the company of one of its former board members.

Additionally, I’m sure this part is just a coincidence but I’ll go ahead and mention it here anyway: Zachry Hospitality (an organization within the Zachry Corporation) was formed in 2009, the same year the City organized the Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp. and named David Zachry as a board member."
Sometimes it takes someone writing out what we all know for it to really kick in. This is obscene. Horrible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #373  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 4:44 AM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 537
Graft and cronyism

"Omar Gonzalez, director of real estate for HPARC, said it was clear Zachry was the right pick for the public-private projects. “The Zachry group met all of our criteria and in fact exceeded our criteria in some places,” he said.

The fact that one developer has been selected for the multiple projects is expected to create continuity in the connection with Hemisfair’s planned civic park and other green spaces. “Having a single developer gives us a single vision,” HPARC’s Drew Hicks said. “It lets these spaces work together.”

Zachry has turned to San Antonio-based Overland Partners to design the multistructure development, which also includes two levels of underground parking with 800 spaces connected to the hotel and office building. “We looked across the country. But we wanted someone that had the qualifications — which they do by far — and also someone who understood San Antonio,” Garcia said. “Our focus was not another development that is for tourists. This is genuinely about creating a destination spot for our community.”"

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...hemisfair.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #374  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 8:20 AM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Graft and cronyism

"Omar Gonzalez, director of real estate for HPARC, said it was clear Zachry was the right pick for the public-private projects. “The Zachry group met all of our criteria and in fact exceeded our criteria in some places,” he said.

The fact that one developer has been selected for the multiple projects is expected to create continuity in the connection with Hemisfair’s planned civic park and other green spaces. “Having a single developer gives us a single vision,” HPARC’s Drew Hicks said. “It lets these spaces work together.”

Zachry has turned to San Antonio-based Overland Partners to design the multistructure development, which also includes two levels of underground parking with 800 spaces connected to the hotel and office building. “We looked across the country. But we wanted someone that had the qualifications — which they do by far — and also someone who understood San Antonio,” Garcia said. “Our focus was not another development that is for tourists. This is genuinely about creating a destination spot for our community.”"

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...hemisfair.html
Is this a city project, like the Grand Hyatt? If so, no surprise we'll pay out the nose for an inferior product.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #375  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 3:21 PM
JRG1974 JRG1974 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Graft and cronyism

"Omar Gonzalez, director of real estate for HPARC, said it was clear Zachry was the right pick for the public-private projects. “The Zachry group met all of our criteria and in fact exceeded our criteria in some places,” he said.

The fact that one developer has been selected for the multiple projects is expected to create continuity in the connection with Hemisfair’s planned civic park and other green spaces. “Having a single developer gives us a single vision,” HPARC’s Drew Hicks said. “It lets these spaces work together.”

Zachry has turned to San Antonio-based Overland Partners to design the multistructure development, which also includes two levels of underground parking with 800 spaces connected to the hotel and office building. “We looked across the country. But we wanted someone that had the qualifications — which they do by far — and also someone who understood San Antonio,” Garcia said. “Our focus was not another development that is for tourists. This is genuinely about creating a destination spot for our community.”"

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...hemisfair.html
This is a blatant attempt by Zachry Hospitality to protect their asset, the Hilton Palacio del Rio. Most design proposals (even theirs) called for a large, tall hotel on the Northwest corner of the property. This would have obscured the view of the Hilton, not to mention the ability of people to see it (red and green lights at Christmas). Now this revised design comes out. The building is shorter, and the massing is moved to the south, and it is bent back away from the street on the north end. I am sure that this will ensure that most, if not the whole Hilton will continue to have a view of the tower and the park for events like new year's fireworks. Zachry also owns the tower life that is so prominent in the main picture. I had hopes that the selection of Zachry would be a good choice. I am sure that the office space that was shown on the north end, as part of the future development, will end up being shorter than was originally indicated to protect the view of the Hilton as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #376  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 5:17 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If you don't like what's going on in San Antonio then by all means please move to Dallas or Houston!
Please just stop with the all or nothing, us against them statements like this. This forum is to discuss buildings and developments. People are allowed to have opinions... that's what half of the discussions are comprised of. You can disagree with others, or you can choose to possibly be a little enlightened by something someone else says. In any case, please be civil about it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #377  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 6:20 PM
UltraDanPrime's Avatar
UltraDanPrime UltraDanPrime is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 166
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I am on the side that really likes this. I think this might be one of those times when its all said & done, its going to turn out a lot nicer & more modern than the renderings show. Love all the opinions & information thoigh. Keep them coming! That's why were here!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #378  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 6:45 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I am on the side that really likes this. I think this might be one of those times when its all said & done, its going to turn out a lot nicer & more modern than the renderings show. Love all the opinions & information thoigh. Keep them coming! That's why were here!
(like button)

Welcome to the forum and I hope you're right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #379  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 8:17 PM
SA_Pride28's Avatar
SA_Pride28 SA_Pride28 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 49
As a person passionate about urban design, and a long-time (every day) reader of this forum, this particular topic has caused me to finally weigh in with my two cents.
I think these designs would be a huge mistake. Upon first glance, I thought these were renderings for a suburban office park or other low-density development. In fact, they would actually work really well as such. But they don't belong in this space. This design should be world-class, cutting-edge, inspiring. Not all designs need to be, but this one, which represents Hemisfair Park and the future of San Antonio, definitely should. And this plays it too safe, to say the least. It's just all-around disappointing. Also, why are they cheating us on the height again? Not that it needs to be a skyscraper, but once again here we see a plan for a shorter, fatter, wider building that obstructs views instead of something more slender that adds to the skyline. Why?? The previous rendering showed a much better design IMO. Don't get me wrong, I actually kind of like the glass designs, especially the shorter marketplace building, but I'd like to see it maybe on Broadway or somewhere in the museum reach, somewhere to add to the surrounding density. But this is the wrong place to put these designs. I hope HDRC rejects this and seeks something with more character, integrity, and impact on the downtown image.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #380  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 8:26 PM
N8TVTXN N8TVTXN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3
I completely agree with SA_Pride28. This space will be the heart of San Antonio. The proposed structures are ordinary at best and completely misplaced. These buildings look like they should be a part of the Landmark development off of I10/1604, NOT a place that will become the living room of San Antonio.

An earlier post showed the Toronto City Hall buildings...consider that these buildings are far superior to the hotel that is planned AND those buildings were conceived and constructed in the 1960s! San Antonio deserves something that it can be proud of, but sadly yet again we are left to wait and wonder what could have been.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:22 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.