HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 4:07 PM
Go Pens!

Dubai just gets too overwhelming for me. Yeah they have a ton of huge buildings but it seems too overdone - it has no substance.

There's so many buildings that it's unexciting to me when they get another 20 supertalls, and have to build mega-talls just to make a break in the skyline.

I look at it kind of like Las Vegas, but in the east. If there's a city for excessiveness, then both of those are definitely the appropriate candidates.

I think in Duba's case, everything is pretty new, thus you get less variation in building design.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 7:48 PM
Guess Who's Back?

I quite like the first building. Looks like another 700m+ tower if you include the pinnacle. The second one's freaky lookin', which normally means it will probably get built!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 8:18 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ I estimate 580m for the first one.

Actually all the dubai towers built so far seem fairly normal, I also recon some of the weirdest proposals will get redesigned if they want to build them

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKofMANHATTAN View Post
I think in Duba's case, everything is pretty new, thus you get less variation in building design.

im sorry did you just look at those two pictures and decide that dubai need MORE variety??

As with most people here i think the first one looks great, the second is just a step too far really

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics.. even if you win your still a retard"

(spot the deliberate mistake)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 6:08 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
im sorry did you just look at those two pictures and decide that dubai need MORE variety??

As with most people here i think the first one looks great, the second is just a step too far really
Yes, that's what i did.

No, was merely saying that the fact of the matter is, older cities have more variation - i meant through time, building styles/materials change. Not between the buildings themselves in Dubai, of course they vary regardless unless they get the multi-tower syndrome where they like to build 2-10 of the same damn thing.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 6:55 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I'm not too fond of either proposal. The first looks good by itsself but doesn't fit into the context (dwarfs all the szr towers) and doesn't have much that's special about it. A nice tower but pretty boring
The second is certainly not boring and definitely makes a statement but goes a tad too far. Some people like to compare architecture with sculpture or some other art but it really is not the same. Why? Because if you make something ugly people will go to the museum and either say "yuck" or "hmm, interesting" or "wow, what a change from the norm" but once they leave the museum everything is back to normal. With a building, especially a tall one the general public will have to endure your piece of shit for decades and there's no escaping it. I know if I was a kid this thing would scare the shit out of me, I could easily imagine a kid walking out of the DIFC metro station and seeing this tower above them and start crying their eyes out )
In art you don't have to care what everyone else thinks but in architecture you DO because you design your building for the general public and is to be used by them, etc.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 9:55 PM

The first one is great. However, I'm not too fond of one Twin Tower f*cking another with a STD'd wang covered in spots.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 11:41 PM
Guess Who's Back?

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 2:46 AM
Desert Dweller

Love the 1st design, simple but ionic. Eww, the other design is getting it on, um while getting shot at get a room please.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 3:37 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

For the challenge I decided to model the 2nd one in sketchup. Here are the results

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 10:10 AM
Downtology

Love the first design. The second one sucks.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 11:32 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

You gotta admidt that #2 would surely be an world reconized icon if built. For that reason alone I kinda like it, also because I would'nt have to look at it every day.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 5:31 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

First design reminds me of the Burj Al Arab Hotel on steroids, lol... But I like the design, it's bold and I like the curved lines.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 2:47 AM
Original Member since '99

first one is ok, second is out to lunch

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 12:39 AM
Yippie Ka Yay!

1st one is Way better. The second one looks like two deformed towers joined at the waist!

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 5:08 AM
JACKinBeantown

The firs toption is boring... nothing new... things like it being done already. The second on is just butt-ugly. How about a third option?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 10:11 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Another proposal for this:

Cityscape 2007 , Perkins+Will

DIFC Central Complex,Dubai

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 11:15 PM
Editor

The first one looks much like the many other mega-talls in Dubai, the second one is just plain ridiculous. There's a point where you try too hard and you end up with something like that.

The first tower, would like like all the other towers in Dubai, but would look good in alot of other cities.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 11:25 PM
World Machine

The first one I think is boring. The second one looks like it came from Mars.

To be honest, the whole concept is getting played out. Don't get me wrong, I like Dubai, but this whole proposal falls under: TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 12:47 AM
BANNED

id take the first one
the second design was flat out retarded

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive