HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:45 PM
What could go wrong?

Here i was having fun. Areas that i would like to see something different. I'm tired of the Portage and Main Cluster. I think it would look good to shift the focus a bit. Yes i know, i am terrible at making renderings (i was struggling through paint)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Mar 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Here i was having fun. Areas that i would like to see something different. I'm tired of the Portage and Main Cluster. I think it would look good to shift the focus a bit. Yes i know, i am terrible at making renderings (i was struggling through paint)

Nice job Biff, I agree about the cluster, almost all even height it would have been nice to see some staggering.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 1:40 PM

Quote:

thats a great render there Biff!

What were your ideas for those buildings?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 2:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i think he ploped something on one of the graham lots oo

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 6:59 PM
Youth of a Nation

I was kinda thinking to myself where these buildings are situated myself.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 8:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
I was kinda thinking to myself where these buildings are situated myself.
...first off, i'm not very good at doing renders, and there is no scientific placement of these but my thoughts were:

from left to right -

- a 25ish storey mixed use on the lot in Graham across from City Place (i know it is too far east)

- a 20 to 25 storey residential on Graham on one of the lots across from the post office

- a 45ish storey mixed use on Graham and York across from the Cargill Building (this one would be in the 600 ft range)

- a 20ish storey hotel on the pad of the Commodity Exchange tower

as you can tell i absolutely hate that stretch of empty parking lots on Graham. I believe Graham's lack of density really hinders the cohesiveness of downtown.I think if we could densify Graham it would help downtown immensely......oh and all of my buildings would have some sort of peaked or spired roof. I hate the flatness of downtown.

I would have added more but i ran out of time, and any more would probably make it more unbelievable.

I would really like some more visual variety and peaks in Winnipeg's downtown.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 8:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

you forgot the cmhr and the one along assiniboin and one in the village lol

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 3:02 AM

Quote:
...first off, i'm not very good at doing renders, and there is no scientific placement of these but my thoughts were:

from left to right -

- a 25ish storey mixed use on the lot in Graham across from City Place (i know it is too far east)

- a 20 to 25 storey residential on Graham on one of the lots across from the post office

- a 45ish storey mixed use on Graham and York across from the Cargill Building (this one would be in the 600 ft range)

as you can tell i absolutely hate that stretch of empty parking lots on Graham. I believe Graham's lack of density really hinders the cohesiveness of downtown.I think if we could densify Graham it would help downtown immensely......oh and all of my buildings would have some sort of peaked or spired roof. I hate the flatness of downtown.

I would have added more but i ran out of time, and any more would probably make it more unbelievable.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 5:24 AM
surely you agree with me

great image biff...where is the photo taken from?

there is some new pressure to develop an empty lot or two on graham....

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 12:57 PM
BANNED

Good because they are horrible. Graham Ave could be exciting, packed with people.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 1:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
great image biff...where is the photo taken from?

there is some new pressure to develop an empty lot or two on graham....

sshhhhhhh, i don't know where that picture is from, i just had it on my computer and thought i would use it to have my little fun with. I know it is against the rules without posting the original source. Hopefully someone on here took it and can claim it.

I would love to hear something regarding any Graham avenue site that doesn't already include an existing building.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 6:20 PM

^I've noticed that photo while browsing panoramio photos in google earth. It was uploaded by the user "worldcoast"

the photo: http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/12514428.jpg

worldcoast's photos: http://www.panoramio.com/user/1744538

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 10:33 PM
What could go wrong?

Thanks squirrel.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 6:02 AM

But of course.

While you're at it, why not add a couple of residential towers to the osborne village area?

I would love to see the evergreen tower surface lots disappear, and that corner with the shell station should be prime real estate.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatesquirrels View Post
But of course.

While you're at it, why not add a couple of residential towers to the osborne village area?

I would love to see the evergreen tower surface lots disappear, and that corner with the shell station should be prime real estate.
yeah some more towers in Osbourne would really extend the skyline out.

Thats honestly one of the best skyline pics ive seen of Winnipeg

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 5:46 PM

Quote:

from left to right -

Found this old thread. Bumped

Biff I couldn't help but read this post and realize that with the NHL (very likely) coming, your dream (but not quite your vision) of Graham getting filled will come to fruition.

Any perhaps more realistic alternations to this plan? What you have is a major future thing...but say within the next decade. Surely we'll see a new parkade, perhaps() some new pubs & restaurants...

dunno what the status is on that Boyd building thing currently

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 6:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Found this old thread. Bumped

Biff I couldn't help but read this post and realize that with the NHL (very likely) coming, your dream (but not quite your vision) of Graham getting filled will come to fruition.

Any perhaps more realistic alternations to this plan? What you have is a major future thing...but say within the next decade. Surely we'll see a new parkade, perhaps() some new pubs & restaurants...

dunno what the status is on that Boyd building thing currently
I'm hoping there is a good plan for the CityPlace surface parking lot. I like the idea of a public space surrounded by, hopefully a hi-rise of some sort and commercial space fronting Graham with a parkade behind.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 10:50 PM
Transit Nerd

I'm a Grade 12 student with an Art class. I'm working on drawing some sketches for the parking lots near the Forks, along with an LRT station. I'll upload in about a week or two if anyones interested

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 5:36 PM

Would be very neat to see man

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 8:53 PM
Transit Nerd

aighty haha. too bad i cant bring the materials home and work on them here

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan