HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 3:01 AM

Arrow SAN ANTONIO | City and Metro News Thread

From mysa.com:

The Kohl's department store chain will open an operations center in San Antonio that's expected to employ more than 1,000 people within about three years.

Kohl's planned expansion follows Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co.'s announcement in October that it would create 838 jobs at a new regional corporate campus to be built in the Westover Hills area. It already employs more than 900 locally.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...wFullArticle=y

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 4:32 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

SA Missions Moving Up to Triple-A in 2019

Yep...Our San Antonio missions will be moving up to Triple-A baseball and play in the Pacific Coast League in 2019!

San Antonio Missions Advance to Triple-A

I have heard that they will be affiliated with the Texas Rangers. The Round Rock Express will end their affiliation with the Rangers in 2018 and move back to being affiliated with the Houston Astros in 2019.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 12:24 AM

Big Flippin' deal

San Antonio deserves an MLB franchise and nothing less. End of discussion.

Even Centro San Antonio's internal polling show most of our residents are tired of the "better than nothing" attitude moves like this reinforce.

There’s one important lesson we did learn in our local research. San Antonians are not okay with being okay. They want a great city and a great downtown. We are committed to doing everything we possibly can to make it happen and strengthen the brand of San Antonio.

https://therivardreport.com/defines-...o-perspective/

I'm tired of cheering this city being average.

Commenters are now free to lambaste away.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
San Antonio deserves an MLB franchise and nothing less. End of discussion.

Even Centro San Antonio's internal polling show most of our residents are tired of the "better than nothing" attitude moves like this reinforce.

There’s one important lesson we did learn in our local research. San Antonians are not okay with being okay. They want a great city and a great downtown. We are committed to doing everything we possibly can to make it happen and strengthen the brand of San Antonio.

https://therivardreport.com/defines-...o-perspective/

I'm tired of cheering this city being average.

Commenters are now free to lambaste away.
I can't disagree with your overall sentiment, but moving up to AAA is a step towards MLB.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 3:55 PM

It doesn't work that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I can't disagree with your overall sentiment, but moving up to AAA is a step towards MLB.
We have the same chance at MLB whether we have Double A, Triple A or nothing at all.

Even players generally move from Double A to MLB, skipping Triple A altogether.

I, however, do not wish to argue these points again. Good luck to the Missions, and to San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:06 PM

Rival teams

Just throwing out random thoughts

The logical rival would be Round Rock since we're so close but if not them...who?
Nashville, El Paso, Oklahoma City? Does Round Rock have a rival now? Is the stadium Mr. Wolfe is pushing capable of holding a AAA or even a major league team? A move to the majors is gonna happen but it's gonna be pushed for Austin/San Antonio. Where we put the stadium will be the big question. Here, in Austin or in between. Will San Marcos see the benefit of funding or partial funding of a stadium...New Braunfels, Kyle, Buda...why not in Blanco upgrade 281 and 290 from both cities...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:04 AM

It's September 2018 and still no stadium plan. Elmore could take his "new" AAA team elsewhere (yes, this is a possibility).

Astros are going to affiliate with the Express and the Rangers may affiliate with Nashville due to SA not having a stadium plan - let alone a guarantee of having a team.

I hope things can get figured out soon. This has been going on for far too long.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:33 AM

Triple A ball will be here next season. Too big a market not to have a team. We're talking minor league people just add 5k seats to wolff stadium and everyone's happy.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Triple A ball will be here next season. Too big a market not to have a team.
Geez, "too big not to have one." Come on. That's not a solid argument. Did SA grow to become a "big market" overnight? The Mission's have been around since 1888 and yet, nobody has - until last year - even tried to bring them up from AA to AAA (at least in name).

Also, Wolff stadium has 6,500 fixed seats plus room for 3,000 more on the berm. I do not think they'll add 5,000 fixed seats (at least in the short term).

In 2016, Barrett Sports Group conducted a study for the city. They recommended 8,000-8,500 fixed seats with a total of 9,000-9,500 total capacity. That study also noted that the Missions had the lowest attendance in the Texas League from 2010/2011 to 2016.

It's been over a year since the initial announcement and we're nowhere near a stadium deal of any sort. Elmore Sports Group does not want to pay for it and the city will not either (and I don't blame them).

Look, I want this to happen. But, I'm worried if the owners and city cannot get a deal together, the team will go elsewhere. Let's remember, Elmore is a Southern California-based company. And even though they have owned the Missions for 30 years, they will go where they can get the best deal for their company.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Sep 18, 2018 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:38 PM

Minor league is minor league no matter how many A's you put on it. Time to get the major league ball rolling.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 3:59 AM

Looks like if the Missions want a new stadium, they will have to pay for it.

https://woai.iheart.com/content/2019...DbQEmiGJwUucOE

"Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff says the idea of building a new, taxpayer funded baseball stadium to house the San Antonio Missions as they make the move this season from AA to AAA level baseball is 'pretty much dead,' News Radio 1200 WOAI reports.

Former Mayor Ivy Taylor had proposed a purpose-built AAA baseball stadium downtown, specifically in an area of the newly renovated Hemisfair, across I-37 from the Alamodome.

While the owner of the Missions is pushing for a new stadium, Wolff told News Radio 1200 WOAI's Michael Board there is no support for it on the city or county levels, and the key now is the upgrade Wolff Stadium to meet AAA standards."

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 12:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Looks like if the Missions want a new stadium, they will have to pay for it.

https://woai.iheart.com/content/2019...DbQEmiGJwUucOE

"Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff says the idea of building a new, taxpayer funded baseball stadium to house the San Antonio Missions as they make the move this season from AA to AAA level baseball is 'pretty much dead,' News Radio 1200 WOAI reports.

Former Mayor Ivy Taylor had proposed a purpose-built AAA baseball stadium downtown, specifically in an area of the newly renovated Hemisfair, across I-37 from the Alamodome.

While the owner of the Missions is pushing for a new stadium, Wolff told News Radio 1200 WOAI's Michael Board there is no support for it on the city or county levels, and the key now is the upgrade Wolff Stadium to meet AAA standards."
A politician saying taxpayers shouldn't pay to build a new stadium for a private corporation that would move the team from a stadium with his name on it? Nothing interesting to see here. Move along.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
From mysa.com:

The Kohl's department store chain will open an operations center in San Antonio that's expected to employ more than 1,000 people within about three years.

Kohl's planned expansion follows Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co.'s announcement in October that it would create 838 jobs at a new regional corporate campus to be built in the Westover Hills area. It already employs more than 900 locally.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...wFullArticle=y
Does anyone know if this thing ever got built and if it did was it as good as expected?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Does anyone know if this thing ever got built and if it did was it as good as expected?

Not sure about Kohl's but here's the info on Nationwide

https://www.nationwide.com/about-us/...an-antonio.jsp

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-98.4568128

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4722...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 1:57 AM
JACKinBeantown

Wow, what a sprawling parking lot with lots of paved surface and nowhere for workers to go without getting into their cars. A great example of un-great urban planning.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Wow, what a sprawling parking lot with lots of paved surface and nowhere for workers to go without getting into their cars. A great example of un-great urban planning.
That Citigroup/American Funds building is pretty cool. The parking, for the employees, is underground.

Not sure that takes cars off the road, but it is a better use of the land. And, they have a top notch kitchen that offers meals without having to leave the campus. And I mean top notch. The Food Network kitchen might be smaller.

It smelled delicious the times I was there.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
It is 15 miles from downtown in a very suburban setting. All city’s have this. If this was Kohl’s corporate headquarters I’d agree. It is not.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 4:18 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
It is 15 miles from downtown in a very suburban setting. All city’s have this. If this was Kohl’s corporate headquarters I’d agree. It is not.
One could infer from your statement that only downtowns should have walkable areas with amenities for people. I'd rather have a couple nearby lunch choices every day than the company cafeteria. I assume that's not entirely what you meant, so please expand on your thought if you like.

We all know how hot cars get in San Antonio. A typical summer day at lunch time is over 90º. That means it's about 110º or more in your car. It takes a few minutes just to get your car to the point where you can get in it to drive to your lunch spot down the highway, then find a parking spot, then wait for a table, then do the whole hot car thing in reverse to get back to work in less than an hour. I'd much rather walk around the corner for lunch.

This looks like yet another 70s/80s style suburban office wasteland. Planners need to plan.

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; Jan 27, 2019 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:42 AM

The reason I asked is my daughter started working at a store in Ft.Worth and they say everything in Texas and the southwest goes thru the regional operations center in DFW not in SA. Got my hometown pride up in arms just a little....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio