HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Conservatory Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Now back to Conservatory Tower? Does anyone know when we might see a sales center start to open for this one? Or when serious marketing might start?
there's nothing

it's a concept as of now

needs to go before planning and everything.

if there's any life to this proposal, it's several years off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
Agreed on the relatively poor choice of location for this design. I wouldnt want such a nice looking 900' tower to get largely hidden behind 77 W Wacker and Waterview. That greenhouse like base just screams out for sunlight.
not really.

this tower would stick up at least 200' above 77 W. Wacker. also, I believe that the lower floors of this building were to be a hotel, so views aren't as important.

Last edited by BVictor1; Aug 22, 2008 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
there's nothing

it's a concept as of now

needs to go before planning and everything.

if there's any life to this proposal, it's several years off.

not really.

this tower would stick up at least 200' above 77 W. Wacker. also, I believe that the lower floors of this building were to be a hotel, so views aren't as important.

I figured that it was just a concept as of now. I hope they really push forward for this one...I think it would sell really well and it is just such a good concept!

As for the location I dont think the big problem would be that it would be hiden at the top...it will be the tallest out of the surrounding buildings other than Waterview!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:40 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

I love the design of this building, but I hate the location... Anything on Lake should have a buffer to the sound the L makes. I'm on the 21st floor of 200 N LaSalle, and I hear the L trains all day, every day.

Couple the noise, with the fact that the L tracks will "hide" the atrium, and I'm not a fan at all. The building is gorgeous, and I'd love to see more residential units in the Loop, but something needs to be addressed with regard to the L.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 9:48 PM

Context

I hope my location is right:

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
I hope my location is right:
I love the renderings of this one in the skyling...great job Ryan81! Would be nice to see what it looks like in the total skyline. With Conservatory Tower and Waterview there will be a nice little grouping right in there height wise. I really hope this one gets built!

Also is there anyway you could add River Point to the second phote you posted? I think the picture would look really awesome seeing that added!

Last edited by Chicagoguy; Aug 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 10:55 PM
Ex Houstonian

How did you get those models on Google Earth, is there a place where I can download them?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
How did you get those models on Google Earth, is there a place where I can download them?
You may download my KMZ files here:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=ryan81&styp=m

I didn't put trump on there because I never completed the base. I didn't want to put anything up that wasn't complete.

I will probably get this conservatory tower up tomorrow. It's pretty quick and dirty, but does the trick

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 9:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

wow, great images ryan81!

i have a feeling this project is a bit pie in the sky at the moment, but it was still fun to see your images and day dream.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 1:55 AM
Chicago

Great job, Ryan81. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 2:15 AM

That does make a pretty cool cluster. Someday.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 3:53 AM
Show me the blueprints

Too bad that twin to Title & Trust was never built—then you'd really have something. I guess we could hope for something even taller on that lot though. There is always Hope.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
I love the design of this building, but I hate the location... Anything on Lake should have a buffer to the sound the L makes. I'm on the 21st floor of 200 N LaSalle, and I hear the L trains all day, every day.

Couple the noise, with the fact that the L tracks will "hide" the atrium, and I'm not a fan at all. The building is gorgeous, and I'd love to see more residential units in the Loop, but something needs to be addressed with regard to the L.
After looking at Ryan81's renderings, I disagree with the location being horrible. Because of the shape of the Thompson center that area receives quite a lot of sunlight, even well into winter when the sun hangs more to the south. Also the atrium seems to be close to level if not a little higher than the el tracks right there. I'm not saying that the light of god will shine through from morning til dawn, but you might be surprised with the amount that bounces around down there, whether it be direct or reflected.

As for the noise, it comes with the territory. I live right next to the el (although not downtown) and I don't even notice it anymore. Personally I think the juxtaposition of the el beams and rounded glass forms would look fantastic.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haurb View Post
After looking at Ryan81's renderings, I disagree with the location being horrible. Because of the shape of the Thompson center that area receives quite a lot of sunlight, even well into winter when the sun hangs more to the south. Also the atrium seems to be close to level if not a little higher than the el tracks right there. I'm not saying that the light of god will shine through from morning til dawn, but you might be surprised with the amount that bounces around down there, whether it be direct or reflected.

As for the noise, it comes with the territory. I live right next to the el (although not downtown) and I don't even notice it anymore. Personally I think the juxtaposition of the el beams and rounded glass forms would look fantastic.
I agree with you. After seeing the rendering I think the location will be pretty nice. It shows just how nice it will look and stand out in the skyline. I think it will get enough light being where it is to do just fine. It is a great design and I think if built it would look amazing and add a great deal to the city.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 2:17 PM

To View the Conservatory Tower in Google Earth:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...4b&prevstart=0

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 2:31 AM

The irony in the wonderful rendering above is the inclusion of the completed Waterview Tower, now on hold, and in need of 350-million dollars or thereabouts.

I have a bad feeling that we're not going to see this or any of the proposed towers going up for a long time to come.

The Chicago market has to absorb the 40-50 towers that are now under construction.

I hate to be the buzzkill, but really, the Chicago market hasn't yet to see the worst of it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 1:32 AM
Website Manager

Does anyone know if there is still life left in this project?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 3:33 AM
Show me the blueprints

I wish. It was one of the most promising proposals from the past boom. I really hope it does still have a pulse so I don't have to add it to my lament list.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 2:01 PM

reminds me of Lebiskind's NY proposal on Madison avenue

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 2:05 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Does anyone know if there is still life left in this project?
It is a nice project and I hope it gets built. Yes reminds me at One Madison Avenue in NYC. But I have the feeling that both projects are dead.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
It is a nice project and I hope it gets built. Yes reminds me at One Madison Avenue in NYC. But I have the feeling that both projects are dead.
same feeling here unfortunately...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects