HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Apologies if I missed it, but is a transit referendum set for 2020 ?
Not officially.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:20 PM

Austin draws up plans to close Rainey Street to cars permanently:
https://www.kxan.com/news/austin-loo...cars-for-good/

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Austin draws up plans to close Rainey Street to cars permanently:
https://www.kxan.com/news/austin-loo...cars-for-good/
This rendering of Rainey Street as car free in the article also includes the 90 Rainey St project rendered into it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:13 PM
Meh

That's awesome. That's pretty much what I had assumed would happen, that the weekend closures were a test to see how it would go.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 10:06 PM

It's about time. I suggested this back in 2003 when we studied the potential upzoning to CBD. The cool thing is it could become the south extension of the Sabine Street Promenade if they connect across Cesar Chavez and the lot next to IHOP.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
It's about time. I suggested this back in 2003 when we studied the potential upzoning to CBD. The cool thing is it could become the south extension of the Sabine Street Promenade if they connect across Cesar Chavez and the lot next to IHOP.
that would be awesome!!!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:07 PM

Activist-led transportation bond vision adjusted and finalized

r

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...and-finalized/

The team behind the Wheel Deal, a community-led concept for a 2020 transportation-focused bond, released its final plan Wednesday after making several adjustments to its initial plan based on public input.
No love for the red line.

I'm disappointed they didn't throw in 21 mill for the next round of double tracking or 18 million for platform extensions so we could support double trams.

There is also need for about another 30 mill for the Broadmore and Austin FC station and double tracking and I'm guessing 20 mil for a relocated Highland station near Brewtorium across from where all the residences are going at Highland. I assume this would also be a double track station. There is also the desire for a Hancock station but I'm guessing that is for when the Hancock center redevelops and gets some residences.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
No love for the red line.

I'm disappointed they didn't throw in 21 mill for the next round of double tracking or 18 million for platform extensions so we could support double trams.

There is also need for about another 30 mill for the Broadmore and Austin FC station and double tracking and I'm guessing 20 mil for a relocated Highland station near Brewtorium across from where all the residences are going at Highland. I assume this would also be a double track station. There is also the desire for a Hancock station but I'm guessing that is for when the Hancock center redevelops and gets some residences.
We're still waiting on the TIF analysis the city was supposed to do. That's due sometime this month.

http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...191114-reg.htm
Item 100

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 9:58 PM

Wrong thread.

Last edited by freerover; Jan 11, 2020 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Master Plan not yet approved but it doesn't seem like airport cares. Lots of projects are moving forward.

Notice to proceed on midfield taxiway realignment of hotel and golf is going out in the next 2 weeks. This is needed to accommodate the new concourse. Scheduled to finish 10/23.

Notice to proceed on new taxiway Delta. 1st phase construction start late 2024, second phase starts a year later. Complete 02/27

Notice to proceed on braided entrance to the airport to eliminate pres. blvd traffic light at 71. Preliminary engineering has started. Scheduled to open Nov 2023

Landside Roadway and Curbside Study fee negotiation is ongoing. This will determine exact design of the roads in front of the new terminal building.

New Admin building is substantially complete, staff has moved in and a punch list is ongoing. Contractor still completing related signage and toll plazas.

Consolidated Maintenance Facility site grading and building pads are done.
When can we expect the new terminal and concourse to open?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigaven View Post
when can we expect the new terminal and concourse to open?
2025-2027

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:24 PM

Cap Metro is now proposing an option for the Blue and Orange lines where you basically only have BRT from the convention center to highland wall which is the north end of the blue line. The LRT from the airport would run along with LRT from S. Congress from Republic Square to the North Lamar Transit Center.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Cap Metro is now proposing an option for the Blue and Orange lines where you basically only have BRT from the convention center to highland wall which is the north end of the blue line. The LRT from the airport would run along with LRT from S. Congress from Republic Square to the North Lamar Transit Center.
Forgive my ignorance. I should know more about this.

Are the orange/blue lines being considered rail or bus? Does BRT = Bus Rapid Transit? What does LRT mean? Thanks.

I can’t imagine the city trying for another rail bond after the last 2 bombed. The burbs will never vote themselves a tax increase for a few thousand riders off the streets.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

Are the orange/blue lines being considered rail or bus? Does BRT = Bus Rapid Transit? What does LRT mean? Thanks.

I can’t imagine the city trying for another rail bond after the last 2 bombed. The burbs will never vote themselves a tax increase for a few thousand riders off the streets.
They are being considered for both bus rapid and light rail. Now there is a 3rd option to mix it. The Orange and Blue lines would be light rail and the Gold line would be Bus Rapid.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
They are being considered for both bus rapid and light rail. Now there is a 3rd option to mix it. The Orange and Blue lines would be light rail and the Gold line would be Bus Rapid.

I like this change a lot actually.

The downtown to highland portion of the Blue line was always the least useful proposed section. A bus that gets it's own lane through Downtown would be sufficient for that I believe. Saving money where we can is worth it if we can get that tunnel connecting the two downtown stations. That would be amazing.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 2:30 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

HRT = Heavy-rail Rapid Transit

LRT = Light-rail Rapid Transit

CRT = Commuter-rail Rapid Transit

BRT = Bus Rapid Transit

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kxa...wn-subway/amp/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 2:58 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

KXAN has a news segment that talks about the transit options including a DT subway line. Now that is what I'm talking about.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
KXAN has a news segment that talks about the transit options including a DT subway line. Now that is what I'm talking about.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
\ Saving money where we can is worth it if we can get that tunnel connecting the two downtown stations. That would be amazing.
At first I was a little disappointed that they seem to be scaling back but after your comment I can see why saving money here would make sense if it means a downtown tunnel. Plus there's no reason it can't be transitioned into light rail in the future when increased capacity demands it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin