HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 6:51 AM
Meh

Nice. Even though it's not as tall as we had hoped, I think this thing is going to look sweet and it'll really stand out. I would love to have a design like that in Austin. It's definitely not another brown box.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 6:56 AM

Does anyone want to start a GoFundme page for new and taller Skyscrapers for San Antonio? (:
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 6:59 AM
Meh

I think it'll help spur more development downtown. It always happens.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 7:03 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

It sort of has already. Design wise, The Canopy hotel and The Thompson Hotel development, then there's the 30-story JMJ residential tower proposed.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 7:17 AM

Please delete.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Jul 10, 2016 at 8:21 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 7:23 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Some notes:

Redefining design

Quote:
“We believe it will redefine the next stage in the evolution of the city’s rebirth,” said Bill Butler, a San Antonio native who led the project’s design team at New Haven, Connecticut-based Pelli. “It will redefine Class A office space like nothing else.”
Retail at ground level.

Quote:
A six-story parking garage will wrap around the building, with 20,000 square feet of retail space on the ground level that Weston Urban hopes to fill with high-end shops facing Houston Street and San Pedro Creek.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 8:54 AM

I'm glad it's not taller. That thing is hideous. Looks like Jughead from Archie comics.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 12:08 PM

Like Frost Bank in Austin, the design would benefit from more height. Looks like it should be taller. Great addition S.A, looking forward to seeing it rise.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 1:02 PM

Oh wow!! Very very disappointed....first by CPS not building a new tower and this not being tall enough. With all the talk and speculations, I was thinking it was going be taller than 500'

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 1:03 PM

I woke up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
While I like the design and think it could inspire more deviation from the architectual norm, I've gotta say, I'm really surprised at it only hitting 6th tallest in SA. I knew it probably wouldn't be more than 500' (given the square footage), but 400' really disappoints me. Especially with all the hype that had come with it.

But alas, here's to a taller building in future years
I went to sleep last night hating it, then woke up and liked it for a second, then, yeah.

Everyone here that criticized me for emphasizing size- At 500' it would be have been transformative, 100' taller than THAT and it would be mind-blowing. I like the design in a taller building. This one will get laughed at. It literally looks like a water tower for a small suburban town. People are going to drive by and search for the local HS football team logo on the top of it. People thought the Frost tower in Austin was squatty, this sets the absolute new standard. SA gonna SA, I guess. Everyone who was expecting a delayed but imminent renaissance in the same vein as our northern neighbors can now officially put that to rest. Fort Worth is the next great Texas city, not SA.

On a completely different note, this tower will quickly become locally known as "Rook"(chess) tower because it is a freaking chess piece. I would love Bill FitzGibbons to design some kenetic holograms of a knight piece and king piece that could be "knocked out" by the "rook" tower if we ever play the Kings or Mavericks again in the NBA playoffs.

Last edited by RyanfromTexas; Jul 10, 2016 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 1:10 PM

....and also, I think we owe Arkitekte an apology. He nailed this thing down exactly. At only four-hundred feet you know that city leaders were trying to get this thing to reach that psychological barrier at all costs. It could have easily been 350 ft without a crown.

...and on another note, Fort Worth is getting a Frost tower at 383 feet with a better design. I'm now madder than ever. SA asked for "not beige" and we got it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 1:20 PM

I think it looks great, and I'm looking forward to watching it go up from my loft. But, I think because of it's height it's at risk of being blocked out by other taller buildings in the next 15-20 years.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 1:49 PM

I like it. A lot. Would be spectacular at 500 feet. A little disappointed in height but will still look awesome.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 2:33 PM
JACKinBeantown

I am blown away. That's not what I was expecting at all. It will get San Antonio national attention. It reminds me of of Gehry's IAC Building in New York, but taller.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_u0AkM6P-0q...2.40.35+PM.png

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 2:49 PM
JACKinBeantown

A rough idea of what it will look like in the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:06 PM
JACKinBeantown

And ground level retail !!!!!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
I like it. A lot. Would be spectacular at 500 feet. A little disappointed in height but will still look awesome.
Same here but glad it will change the current skyline.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:14 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
My thoughts exactly. It'll be squatty. But it'll be pretty.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
A rough idea of what it will look like in the skyline.
I was hoping for a jaw dropping iconic type skyscraper but it's gonna be like the Grand Hyatt, once built it's an appreciated addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:54 PM

Hi all -- if you want more detail about the tower and background info here's a non-paywall link to our premium story.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio