HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Windsors can sort out their family issues themselves but boy does the talk of making Harry our GG or even King or whatever make Canada look even less like a serious or "real" country.

I mean he has no deep ties to Canada except that he vacations here and his American wife shot a TV show in Toronto due to generous tax credits.

I have visited lots of countries, liked most of them a lot and built relations with many people in them but I doubt this makes me suitable as a head of state for any of them. Even as a figurehead. As well intentioned as I might be.

Just another case of Canada desperate for the big time, pining for a place in the pages of Hello! magazine.

I just returned from a somewhat extended period abroad and reading shit like this really hammers home how Canada is the land where there is no "there" there. It is so very striking how non-descript and of little consequence most things like this are seen to be and as a result end up being just that , to the point that the position of head of state - even symbolic - can be auctioned off in a flurry of celebrity-chasing fervour.
Surely the “there” is the fact that the nation can contemplate an immigrant as a candidate for the highest office in the land. Not many nations can say this. We are a beacon of hope and love! One weeps with joy at the profound beauty and humanity of such a people!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 3:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Surely the “there” is the fact that the nation can contemplate an immigrant as a candidate for the highest office in the land. Not many nations can say this. We are a beacon of hope and love! One weeps with joy at the profound beauty and humanity of such a people!
Then why not Greta Thunberg? Or Julian Assange? Or Kanye West?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 3:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It should be remembered that Queen Victoria's father Prince Edward spent most of the 1790s in Canada, and made some notable contributions to Halifax, including commissioning, designing and building the town clock (still extant on the side of Citadel Hill) and, he also had quite an estate built on the Bedford Basin, with one building on the estate still extant (Prince's Lodge), highly visible from the Bedford Highway. He was a paragon of the local social scene at the time, and kept a high profile mistress in the colonial town.

Maybe Harry could do something similar (sans the mistress of course).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 3:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Then why not Greta Thunberg? Or Julian Assange? Or Kanye West?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 4:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It should be remembered that Queen Victoria's father Prince Edward spent most of the 1790s in Canada, and made some notable contributions to Halifax, including commissioning, designing and building the town clock (still extant on the side of Citadel Hill) and, he also had quite an estate built on the Bedford Basin, with one building on the estate still extant (Prince's Lodge), highly visible from the Bedford Highway. He was a paragon of the local social scene at the time, and kept a high profile mistress in the colonial town.

Maybe Harry could do something similar (sans the mistress of course).
For the record I would look favourably upon Anglo Canada cuddling up to its British heritage a bit more, but I don't really see the Harry and Meghan thing as anything remotely related to a sincere move in that direction.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 4:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Khawi Leonard? Jose Bautista?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 5:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Monarchists of the Dominion rejoice!!!

The Queen has agreed that Harry and Meaghan should spend more time in Canada.

The only question now is if they will succumb to the mild climate of the west coast, or will they choose to live in Toronto to be close to Ben & Jessica Mulroney.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
I mean he has no deep ties to Canada except that he vacations here and his American wife shot a TV show in Toronto due to generous tax credits.
Au contraire mon ami! (I likely "f'd" that up due to not using Google Translate!)

Lt Harry Windsor has spent a couple of fantastic summers in the short grass prairie of SE Alberta enjoying all the exotic locals of CFB Suffield. And topping it all off with the requisite run in with the lasses of "Cowboys" in Calgary!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 6:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Au contraire mon ami! (I likely "f'd" that up due to not using Google Translate!)
Google really was your friend in this case. It's fine.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Khawi Leonard? Jose Bautista?

Kyle Lowry

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
I just returned from a somewhat extended period abroad and reading shit like this really hammers home how Canada is the land where there is no "there" there. It is so very striking how non-descript and of little consequence most things like this are seen to be and as a result end up being just that , to the point that the position of head of state - even symbolic - can be auctioned off in a flurry of celebrity-chasing fervour.
That's almost a Ron James-level quotable piece... almost. Most enjoyable choice of wording, I must say.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
For the record I would look favourably upon Anglo Canada cuddling up to its British heritage a bit more, but I don't really see the Harry and Meghan thing as anything remotely related to a sincere move in that direction.
That is the monarchy's greatest fundtion - a bulwark against America. A differentiator. After all it's written right into our largest province's motto: "Ut Incepit Fidelis Sic Permanet - Loyal She Began, Thus She Remains".

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post

Lt Harry Windsor has spent a couple of fantastic summers in the short grass prairie of SE Alberta enjoying all the exotic locals of CFB Suffield. And topping it all off with the requisite run in with the lasses of "Cowboys" in Calgary!
His great, great uncle, Edward XIII, lived off and on south of Calgary for more than two decades.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That's almost a Ron James-level quotable piece... almost. Most enjoyable choice of wording, I must say.
Thanks for the compliment - though I had to look up Ron James!

And this is my second language! You should see what I can do in French!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Monarchists of the Dominion rejoice!!!

The Queen has agreed that Harry and Meaghan should spend more time in Canada.

The only question now is if they will succumb to the mild climate of the west coast, or will they choose to live in Toronto to be close to Ben & Jessica Mulroney.
oh come on.surely Moncton is where they want to live.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
oh come on.surely Moncton is where they want to live.
I don't mean to be negative but if you're rich and famous why would you choose to move to Canada instead of live in London? I guess some people like remote wilderness. Living in Ottawa would not really tick that box.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't mean to be negative but if you're rich and famous why would you choose to move to Canada instead of live in London? I guess some people like remote wilderness. Living in Ottawa would not really tick that box.
Not to mention one half is from LA and the other is from London. It would be exceptionally funny if Victoria was chosen as anything more than a summer vacation destination but there is some smoke to that rumor.

Toronto is probably their only reasonable choice to have any sort of impact on the country rather than being celebrities for the sake of being celebrities.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Stepping out of the limelight? A bit. But not too much.

The British press can be totally insane when it comes to hounding the Royals.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Not to mention one half is from LA and the other is from London. It would be exceptionally funny if Victoria was chosen as anything more than a summer vacation destination but there is some smoke to that rumor.

Toronto is probably their only reasonable choice to have any sort of impact on the country rather than being celebrities for the sake of being celebrities.
Who says they want to have an impact on the country, though? I think that's just certain Canadians' starry-eyed wishful thinking as opposed to something this couple has ever thought about.

Anyway, in the extremely extremely unlikely event that they were to move to Canada to occupy some sort of symbolic governmental or monarchical function, they'd obviously move to Ottawa, not Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Stepping out of the limelight? A bit. But not too much.
I wonder if it would be worse in a smaller city. London is full of celebrities and billionaires and so it must have lots of private institutions and events designed to exclude the media and the public. Or at least there are a lot of different billionaire compounds you could visit.

Either way many wealthy people don't have a clearly defined place of residence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada