HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:54 AM
Meh

I had some errands to do downtown and also wanted to catch The Monarch lit, and it was.

I did a little video of the building's lights showing how they fade in and out. It's a little dark, but, I hope this helps. Feel free to go to Youtube and comment on it also. Just click on the video and it'll open a new window where you can add a comment.

Video Link

And some pictures.

The smaller lights were on, but if you weren't at least within a block of the building, you couldn't really tell.

Garage detail.

Plaza/entry area.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 2:09 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

nice pics kevin...

it looks like the city allowance for night-time green lighting cost spaghetti warehouse some of their signage.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:36 PM

Good photos, Kevin!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 6:02 PM

I love the light show. The Monarch has turned out to be one of the best looking buildings downtown.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 6:14 PM

I was at the Music Hall last night (The Cure... Awsome!) from the "Smoking Balcony" I could see the reflection of the Monarch light reflected in several of the buildings downtown..... it added some cool texture.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 12:11 AM
Meh

Thanks guys. I meant to get one of it from along 5th Street near 404 Rio Grande with the moon over it (a closer one), but I was trying to hurry over to Waterloo before they closed (went and bought Signals and Moving Pictures by Rush. Very cool albums). By the way, I'm loving the street scape along 5th Street near The Monarch. That area is really looking nice.

Forgot to post this one of AMLI on 2nd with it's radioactive isotopes, haha. This was from the Ann Richards Bridge of course. There were also 2 other people out on the bridge taking pictures of the skyline. Two or three people taking portraits with the skyline behind, and another man and woman across the street with a tripod set up. I took some more of The Monarch from the bridge, but they blurred. Even with a tripod, it was hard to keep the camera steady.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 5:26 AM
Bears of antiquity

Yay! They listened to MY suggestion about doing the lighting scheme like the WaMu Center

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 6:33 AM

Great pics and video, Kevin. The Monarch lighting is more than I expected. Those penthouse apartments will probably have exterior lighting for the decks, and I suspect that may be on most of the time. It will look great like that, just like the rendering!

AMLI II's "radioactive" lighting does indeed remind me of the nuclear rods from the Simpsons...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 7:57 AM

Those penthouse apartments are likely to get a free light show with their apartment, something extra for all that rent. I wonder how the tenants are going to feel about all the extra colors that are likely to seep into the apartments way up there. You can see some of the light washing the exteriors of the top units in that first picture posted by Kevin. It looks kind of bright.

Anyway the lighting seems to be a work in progress. I like some of the colors more than others and would not mind seeing maybe a new color every few weeks or seasonally as opposed to a light show every night.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Those penthouse apartments are likely to get a free light show with their apartment, something extra for all that rent. I wonder how the tenants are going to feel about all the extra colors that are likely to seep into the apartments way up there. You can see some of the light washing the exteriors of the top units in that first picture posted by Kevin. It looks kind of bright.

Anyway the lighting seems to be a work in progress. I like some of the colors more than others and would not mind seeing maybe a new color every few weeks or seasonally as opposed to a light show every night.
I have been wondering how much the light will affect the penthouse as well. Considering the angle of reflection, it seems like the folks at Austin City Lofts and Spring will be more affected than the folks actually in the Monarch. First person up there at night let us know!

And, yeah..... I think it would be cool if they at least slowed down the rotation of color. I would rather realize over time that the lights had changed and not be able to watch it rotate like a big 60's Aluminum Christmas Tree...... altought, now that I thought of that, I kinda like it better!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:38 PM
Meh

I definitely hope they light it with red and green at Christmas. Have one side red, and the other green and fade them in and out and alternate the colors for each side. Our skyline is so boring at Christmas, we need some Christmasy skyscraper lighting.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 9:35 PM

Well, Monarch is trying to get over 10k a month for some of those penthouse apartments according to the listings on Craig's List.

If I was shelling out 10k/month, I don't think I'd be super excited about the tacky lightshow reflecting through my windows. Who am I kidding, I wouldn't be excited about it at 2k a month either.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 10:17 PM

OOps... take it back.... looking at Kev's fab pics you can see how the outside walls of the penthouses get the color of the light.... so while the light might not be directly shinning into your place.... the walls outside would be changing color and reflecting the light. Hum...... I might not mind it......sometime..... but, yeah, that could get old!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:07 AM
Meh

I would think on really humid and foggy nights those lights would glare a bit. That might not be that big of an issue, except for the fact that they change color which gives the appearance of them moving. Some of the colors seemed to glare more, especially the lime green and bright orange and yellow colors. The others were pretty tame though.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 2:38 PM

I would pay the $400 for one night in the penthouse if I could have a disco party up there! hahahahha :0

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 3:27 AM
Going Up ___///|||

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Couldn't find a specific thread for the Monarch. This bridge connects the Monarch to the sidewalk that runs along Shoal Creek. I thought I remember the developers saying they would donate some money toward Shoal Creek beautification. I hope they were talking about more than this bridge - it is a nice bridge though. The money I thought they discussed was for Shoal Creek cleanup and structural reinforcement or something to that effect, or at least that is the way I thought they positioned it. This bridge will be really cool if it is a way to enter the shops.

Looks to me like a Pennybracker Bridge mini. You know, the bridge that goes over the Colorado.
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkyscrapers View Post
Looks to me like a Pennybracker Bridge mini. You know, the bridge that goes over the Colorado.
Hmm.. never thought of that. But, now that you mention it...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 9:51 PM
Going Up ___///|||

Here's Pennybracker Bridge for comparison. A lot of resemblance.
click the link to see.

Remove the top parts of the bridge and change the wiring of the sides into the orange thing used in the arch, and also changing the road into metal and there you have the "Monarch Bridge".
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ckerBridge.jpg
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 10:27 PM

The bridge over Shoal Creek was built to mimic the Pennybracker Bridge.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 6:01 PM
Going Up ___///|||

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
The bridge over Shoal Creek was built to mimic the Pennybracker Bridge.
Thanks for the information. I didn't know that.
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin