HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 6:46 PM

Cool [Austin] Monarch Updates

Couldn't find a specific thread for the Monarch. This bridge connects the Monarch to the sidewalk that runs along Shoal Creek. I thought I remember the developers saying they would donate some money toward Shoal Creek beautification. I hope they were talking about more than this bridge - it is a nice bridge though. The money I thought they discussed was for Shoal Creek cleanup and structural reinforcement or something to that effect, or at least that is the way I thought they positioned it. This bridge will be really cool if it is a way to enter the shops.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 7:18 PM
James

I agree, I hope the bridge is just a part of a plan that they have. It looks really cool.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 7:56 PM
Austinite

Great shots! That bridge is definitely new, since the last time I visited the area. And you're right, there is not currently a thread dedicated to Monarch, though I have posted several pics in the Austin Update and Austin COnstruction Threads. I'll start posting in here too.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 8:24 PM

Nice shots, kind of big.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 10:40 PM
Meh

Cool. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 2:13 AM

They are definately going to donate money to the trail. They have sent it through the Austin Parks Foundation. If you noted when you took the pictures, the trail does not connect between 5th and 3rd...right where Monarch and 360 are located. For this reason, APF is going to be rebuilding this part of the trail soon.

what is needed other than the trail is some major weeding. invasive species everywhere here. lots of lantana. cleaning it up could make this stretch of the shoal creek greenbelt rival town lake for beauty.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad707 View Post
They are definately going to donate money to the trail. They have sent it through the Austin Parks Foundation. If you noted when you took the pictures, the trail does not connect between 5th and 3rd...right where Monarch and 360 are located. For this reason, APF is going to be rebuilding this part of the trail soon.
I agree, the real problem with this area is the invasive species. Also when the water flows, which an above water sidewalk would cure.

Very good to hear they will connect it. I presume you mean with an above ground sidewalk similar to what is installed north of fifth street. I bike thru this area often, and it is connected, it is just not a cake walk. But hey, isn't that what they invented "mountain" bikes for? Or in my case, a 1989 15 speed converted into a "mountain" bike

When does the rebuild commence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilIdie
I can't wait for Seaholm to arrive.
Me Too!! Its going to be very cool!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 5:53 AM

What's going on with the Gables and their plans for low-rises at Lamar, reconfiguring Sandra Muriada Dr. to Cesar Chavez? Will they ever break ground?

From 360 to Monarch and Spring and points between, you've got western downtown poised.

For now it seems like Spring and Legacy will be the bookends, so to speak.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 11:32 AM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilIdie View Post

What's going on with the Gables and their plans for low-rises at Lamar, reconfiguring Sandra Muriada Dr. to Cesar Chavez? Will they ever break ground?

From 360 to Monarch and Spring and points between, you've got western downtown poised.

For now it seems like Spring and Legacy will be the bookends, so to speak.
From Saturday's Statesman

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 1:23 PM

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to all of these projects.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 6:54 AM
Meh

The Monarch heights from the blueprints

I sent an email to find out what the heights of The Monarch will be to certain points on the building. I also got some info about its design concept.

First, I learned a little bit about the design. The east and west sides of the tower at the top will have "butterfly wings" folding up from the mainroof. This is where the name "The Monarch" comes from. These will hide the mechanical penthouse which encloses the elevator motors.

The Monarch heights are:

323 feet to the top of the "wings". This is the official height of the building.
312 feet to the top of the mechanical penthouse.
300 feet to the mainroof.
287 feet to the highest occupied floor, (the 29th floor). That height is to the 2nd level of a 2-story unit on the 29th floor.

These heights came from RTKL Associates, Inc. which is the architect of the building. The heights came from the blueprints.

The renderings. Nothing new here, just posting for reference.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 4:25 PM
JACKinBeantown

Those apartments will have nice balconies. The bridge reminds me on one on the UT campus just behind the alumni center under the stadium.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 7:59 PM

I walked past the bridge at Monarch today. That is a great addition! Does anyone know if the Monarch side of the creek will have a public walk space? I can't image it would not.... but there does seem to have been much room left for one.

As far as biking that area goes..... yeah it does take some creative biking at a few points! That can be fun. I am assuming "they" are looking to make it more in keeping with most of the townlake hike and bike trail and be more accessible to non mountian bike folks.... does anyone know the plan?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 4:24 AM

Is the monarch going to have units for sale or lease? And if they are for sale have they released any prices?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pato79 View Post
Is the monarch going to have units for sale or lease? And if they are for sale have they released any prices?
It was originally intended to be all apartments for rent, but their new website implies that it is actually now condos for sale:

http://www.monarchaustin.com/

I don't think we've gotten any concrete info one way or the other.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
It was originally intended to be all apartments for rent, but their new website implies that it is actually now condos for sale:

http://www.monarchaustin.com/

I don't think we've gotten any concrete info one way or the other.
I always thought they would be up for sale as well but being so far into construction shouldnt they have atleast started taking reservations. They are losing lots of potential buyers to the 360 (Me) and the Spring, dont you guys think?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 3:51 PM

Pedestrian bridge near the Monarch

I can tell you for a fact, that bridge has been there for at least 3 years. I remember seeing at least that far back. It was built when they built that apartment/condo complex next to the monarch. I work on 6th and baylor ( a block west of Lamar) and drive the neighborhood fairly often.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
I can tell you for a fact, that bridge has been there for at least 3 years. I remember seeing at least that far back. It was built when they built that apartment/condo complex next to the monarch. I work on 6th and baylor ( a block west of Lamar) and drive the neighborhood fairly often.
Doug - You may be thinking of the bridge by 404 Rio Grande. It is vaguely similar. This one is definitely new.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 5:05 AM
Keep It Weird

I have to ask where does that bridge lead to, does it follow along Shoal creek or drop you behind the 5th st. retail area around Wholefoods and that gym in the building with the Starbucks. I have walked the trail on the opposite side a few times and it seems to end near that area, or else it seems to get overgrown. If I'm not mistaken many of the condo's were s'posed to do upgrades to Shoal cr. or actually donating the funds to have the city do it for signing off on the projects.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 1:08 PM

The bridge goes from the monarch to between the gables west building. Gables west actually has a nice little courtyard that the bridge opens up to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin