HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 8:19 PM

We need one of these babys at hemisfair! To take people from the riverwalk to the Tower!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 8:20 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fossilmike/2643508639/

Sorry it didn't let me post a picture.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I'll take green space downtown over a manufactured mini times square.
Castro speaks of a 24 hour downtown. Hemisfair would be one area that could pull that off. Several intimate pocket parts throughout Hemisfair would be better than it be mostly green space. A linear park trail throughout the park would work also. I'd rather see it built up to its maximum potential, residential high rises, retail, cultural, civic, etc. I also envision a world class museum and possibly a Aquarium, maybe a Sea World affiliation of some sort.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 10:40 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I know right! Remember the old Sheratin Hotel design back in the 90's that would have been nice.
Yes it would have.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Castro speaks of a 24 hour downtown. Hemisfair would be one area that could pull that off. Several intimate pocket parts throughout Hemisfair would be better than it be mostly green space. A linear park trail throughout the park would work also. I'd rather see it built up to its maximum potential, residential high rises, retail, cultural, civic, etc. I also envision a world class museum and possibly a Aquarium, maybe a Sea World affiliation of some sort.
A aquarium downtown would make downtown a 24 hour downtown?

Great urban centers have green spaces, and Hemisfair Park is the perfect spot for such a thing.

It's not like they envision the entire space to be green. Look at the site plans, there's enough land for creating a dense and urban district that is full of vitality. The green space will only add to that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 11:12 PM
James

Quote:
Yes it would have.

memories

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 4:03 PM

Quote:
A aquarium downtown would make downtown a 24 hour downtown?

Great urban centers have green spaces, and Hemisfair Park is the perfect spot for such a thing.

It's not like they envision the entire space to be green. Look at the site plans, there's enough land for creating a dense and urban district that is full of vitality. The green space will only add to that.
Not just an Aquarium, but it would still be a major attraction, it was the site of a worlds fair and needs something on that scale to draw in the crowds.

Overall I want it to look like a mini manhattan. An aquarium would draw more of the tourist component, and with dense residential, commercial on and around hemisfar would give it the potential to become a 24 hour district. Yea park space is needed but not the focus, imo. It is mostly all park space now and is overwhelmingy unused.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 5:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
All nice things, but don't misunderestimate the importance of green space in an urban area. People are human and need green space to keep their sanity when they live in an urban area. Living in New York I speak from experience. Once the land is built up with highrises the opportunity to use it for green space is gone forever. Plus, if all that land is deemed green, it puts the rest of the land downtown at a greater premium and all those parking lots suddenly look like better and better places to build up.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Not just an Aquarium, but it would still be a major attraction, it was the site of a worlds fair and needs something on that scale to draw in the crowds.

Overall I want it to look like a mini manhattan. An aquarium would draw more of the tourist component, and with dense residential, commercial on and around hemisfar would give it the potential to become a 24 hour district. Yea park space is needed but not the focus, imo. It is mostly all park space now and is overwhelmingy unused.
We don't need anymore "tourist" attractions downtown. Downtown needs to stop going in that direction and go in the direction of attracting local residents to live, work and play.

A green space with residential space next to it is ten times better than some lame faux times square.

I know how hard headed you are with your opinions so there really isn't any use in my arguing my point with you but that is my point.

Downtown for too long has catered to the tourist market and relied on tourists. Now is the time to catered to locals who want to live downtown or go downtown for "non-tourist" things to do.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 5:20 PM

I'm afraid that Aquarium would hurt Sea Worlds business. Since Sea World is way out west, I wouldn't want tourist to just pick the Aquarium over taking that $25 taxi ride out to suburbs. I would like to see Ripley Believe it or not move out from across the Alamo, and maybe set up shop in Hemisfair.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 7:34 PM

An aquarium is a terrible idea. Completely out of place.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
We don't need anymore "tourist" attractions downtown. Downtown needs to stop going in that direction and go in the direction of attracting local residents to live, work and play.

A green space with residential space next to it is ten times better than some lame faux times square.

I know how hard headed you are with your opinions so there really isn't any use in my arguing my point with you but that is my point.

Downtown for too long has catered to the tourist market and relied on tourists. Now is the time to catered to locals who want to live downtown or go downtown for "non-tourist" things to do.
LMAO, the Hemisfair redevelopmet committee already stated they want to lure in tourists as well. An aquarium is just an idea, and if a Sea World affiliation, package deals promoting both attractions would work imo, boosting Sea World's attendance.
Most importantly I would like to see more of a residential component, along with retail, civic and some park space.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Mar 8, 2011 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 11:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:

You like my li'l pussy cat?
I get it... the cat is flipping off whoever was holding the camera. Cool.

Anyway, let's see what eventually happens in the Hemisfair area. I get back to SA a couple times a year and always end up downtown at some point. I'll keep my eyes open.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:47 AM

Quote:
LMAO, the Hemisfair redevelopmet committee already stated they want to lure in tourists as well. An aquarium is just an idea, and if a Sea World affiliation, package deals promoting both attractions would work imo, boosting Sea World's attendance.
Most importantly I would like to see more of a residential component, along with retail, civic and some park space.
Lure tourists, sure, with the park and perhaps a ferris wheel ala London but the main component of the new Hemisfair Park should not focus on tourists but instead locals.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 5:07 AM

what we need to work on is mass transit.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 4:42 PM

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Lure tourists, sure, with the park and perhaps a ferris wheel ala London but the main component of the new Hemisfair Park should not focus on tourists but instead locals.
Ferris Wheel, and a sky ride/tram!!!!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
what we need to work on is mass transit.
They are.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 10:16 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
They are.
I'm pretty pumped the streetcar is going through the park.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 4:16 PM
Paradise

Did anyone see or get any pictures from the last meeting?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio