HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:23 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
Yes, I remember since I was the one who posted that information.
Ouch.

Did I hear somewhere that the current SAWS area then going to be a parking garage?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:58 PM

The current City of San Antonio property that SAWS has a lease on, already has a parking lot. When the SAWS building is torn down, that area will be paved for parking until the parking garage at Bowie and Market is rebuilt. Then Market will be realigned.

At least that is the plan. The garage will be built, but I know that the convention center has several plans for expansion.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:02 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Faulkner not selling condos en masse

Faulkner not selling condos en masse
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business..._en_masse.html
By Creighton A. Welch - Express-News

A report surfaced Tuesday about FaulknerUSA and its partners attempting to sell a majority of the Alteza condos on top of the Grand Hyatt hotel.

The article, on the real estate Web site GlobeSt.com, says that the remaining 108 unsold condos are for sale as a single asset, but Mark Armstrong, CEO of FaulknerUSA, said that is not the case.

“Nothing’s changed,” Armstrong said. “We’re still conducting our own sales and marketing.”

Thirty-nine of the 147 condos have been pre-sold. Previously, a condo sales agent told the San Antonio Express-News that the Alteza was nearly half pre-sold.

Joshua Shatz, principal with Dallas-based Custom Properties LLC, said in a phone interview with the Express-News that he had an agreement with FaulknerUSA to market the remaining condos, possibly to a group of wealthy individuals, for corporate rentals.

Armstrong said they did sign an agreement, but that it was an agreement saying that if Shatz brings in a buyer, he gets a commission.

In other words, there won’t be any corporate rentals.

“It has been and continues to be Texas Riverwalk Residences,” Armstrong said, referring to the partnership that owns the condos. “These are private luxury condos, and they’ll remain private luxury condominiums.”

Shatz did not return a follow-up phone call.

FaulknerUSA has sold condos en masse before.

In 2004, FaulknerUSA sold 98 condos that are part of the 800-room Hilton Austin hotel. It’s a condo/hotel concept similar to that with the Alteza and Grand Hyatt.

The buyer for the Austin condos, BDA 555 Ltd., has since sold 94 of the units. Jeff Blatt, a partner with BDA 555, said FaulknerUSA, which is a designer and builder, sold them “presumably because they’re not involved in marketing condominiums.”

At the Alteza, the condos range from the $300,000s to $3.3 million for 808 square feet to 6,400 square feet, and take up floors 25 through 34 of the building, which also has 1,000 hotel rooms.

FaulknerUSA plans to finish the condos. The company has just two more construction deadlines for the hotel and condos: Jan. 31 to completely finish the hotel and April 21 to get the condos fully ready for construction on individual units.

Armstrong said that in about a month, FaulknerUSA will open a sales center and model unit on the site. Currently, the sales center and model are in the Tower Life Building.

“The guy is well-intended, but overzealous,” Armstrong said. “It’s nothing more and nothing less than a broker that we did an independent broker agreement with.”

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 6:48 PM

Honestly I don't even think the Alteza condos offers good views, you either have a north view, of 281 or south view of the tower. The Vidorra condo's are better, since you get that skyline view. Alteza should just become Vistana II and knock down the prices so everyone can afford to live there.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:43 PM

From chatter here and there, I have a feeling PSL is dead but that same chatter has mentioned the possibility that Hilton was thinking ES wouldnt' be its only investment on Houston St.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:48 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
From chatter here and there, I have a feeling PSL is dead but that same chatter has mentioned the possibility that Hilton was thinking ES wouldnt' be its only investment on Houston St.
PSL = piazza san lorenzo... dead? talk about being late for the funeral.

ES = embassy suites... any chance that they'll be looking at the book building/solo serve as a potential sister hotel to the ES?

miaht is aiming for president of COGSADCAJA - the info just keeps streaming in...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 10:08 PM

the words "development on the River at Houston Street", and "DoubleTree" were mentioned; can't say from whom but it is from (what everyone here might consider) a pretty solid source.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 10:37 PM

What is the deal with the 300 unit broadway lofts?
I ran by there during the S.A. marathon and I noticed that nothing has been done.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
the words "development on the River at Houston Street", and "DoubleTree" were mentioned; can't say from whom but it is from (what everyone here might consider) a pretty solid source.
That would make sense. There's markets smaller and much less popular than SA that have two DoubleTrees.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 12:48 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
I ran by there during the S.A. marathon and I noticed that nothing has been done.
In short:

Lots of legal red tape the current owners must go through on account of the original owner that ended up having the property foreclosed on him. Nothing can happen until that is resolved. Once that is squared away, everything will move forward.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Would this be a new construction job or just them renovating another building because once the ES is built there will be no land along the River off Houston St. to build on.

Maybe they'll building on one of those long parking lots between Main Ave and Soledad.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 1:41 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Plus Cross and Co have their hands full with the vistana at the moment.

And also, I wouldn't count the PSL out just yet. I was walking on Houston St today, and I saw that they still have a sales office. I looked in and it looks as if its being used. I don't think they would still be leasing a sales office if the project was canceled.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
In short:

Lots of legal red tape the current owners must go through on account of the original owner that ended up having the property foreclosed on him. Nothing can happen until that is resolved. Once that is squared away, everything will move forward.
But they had already begun some work at the site this summer, hadn't they?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:32 AM
James

I hope the PSL isn't dead, it was one of my favorite proposals. Faulkner just makes me so mad with everything they have done, I hate to think about them.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Would this be a new construction job or just them renovating another building because once the ES is built there will be no land along the River off Houston St. to build on.

Maybe they'll building on one of those long parking lots between Main Ave and Soledad.
To elaborate a bit on the site of the DT, and I can only take what I was given, there were key words included that led me to believe it would be a new construction project,
Quote:
"This high rise will rival Hotel Valencia in scope and location."
on a side note; as far as PSL being dead and residences not being built, there are discussions as well regarding the Hyatt Summerfield at the Texas building. And no need to talk in code, here are the words
Quote:
An interesting side comment is our effort to study the potential for conversion of our new hotel product into residential. Clearly it is critical to add housing to our downtown, and every effort must be made to encourage that product type despite the barriers for entry – high cost of downtown land, complicated construction means and methods, and strenuous governmental approval processes.
and on another side note; I stopped by the Indigo at the Alamo, and everything is looking good. The interior is being finished out now and it looks as if the March 2009 opening looks like a go.
oh and everyones favorite retail project, Walgreens, is getting its sign up.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Nov 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 6:12 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
But they had already begun some work at the site this summer, hadn't they?
There was a little prep work done, but I haven't seen a worker in months.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 8:22 PM

Downtown

After all of these years downtown is starting to shape up slowly but surely. Would've been nice if this could of happened years ago but hey better late than never.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:04 AM

KSAT article detailing some Pearl Brewery updates:

http://www.ksat.com/news/18027622/detail.html

Quote:
Riverwalk Expansion Shaping Up Near Pearl Brewery

POSTED: 5:26 pm CST November 20, 2008

SAN ANTONIO -- North of downtown San Antonio, the expansion of the Riverwalk is beginning to take shape as new landscaping, a new river canal and new walkways are being constructed.

The additions are happening along a 1.2-mile stretch of the river near the Pearl Brewery north of downtown and is expected to be completed in the middle of the next decade. [SKW Note: "middle of the next decade" is referring to phase II of the Museum Reach expansion which will run through Brack Park and end just past the Witte Museum. The Riverwalk segment near Pearl will be complete middle of next year]

"I know there are plans for some boutique hotels, plans for condos, apartments and mixed-use stuff as well," project manager Mike Addkison said.

All the new work is part of the second phase of the overall expansion project, which will also add a new lock as well as a dam overlook to the river, which should allow river barges to head north to the brewery. [SKW Note: The Lock and Dam is part of Phase I. Who wrote this article?]

City Council is expected to approve the agreement to allow the northbound barge travel once the current phase is completed sometime next summer.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 3:16 PM

When is the local media going to realize that they'd be much better informed on urban development matters if they'd just get an account on SSP??

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 3:49 AM

the vistana

Hey guys Vistana's Crane is not there no more.. I saw it as I was heading home.
Saturday night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio