HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 6:45 AM

I like it!!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 2:19 AM
The Desert Apple

I heart this, a lot.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:20 PM

Philly has really been standing out lately with amazing proposals and newly constructed masterpieces like Cira Center, and to a lesser extent, Comcast Center. I love this new proposal, it will be an iconic piece of Philly architecture, complimenting an already amazing collection.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:50 PM
BANNED

it looks like a high-heel shoe.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 2:46 PM

This building is weird just to be different. It seems to waste a lot of space just for one slanted wall of windows. Not to mention that those renderings are worthless because they show the tower surrounded by little silver boxes. It doesn't seem like they thought about context at all.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:29 PM

I like it. It would have been more welcome in during the height of that Gehry plague and this seems like a late attempt for post-modern architecture. Though, it looks like it could have a good street presence.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:42 PM
Always Lookin' Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
it looks like a high-heel shoe.
...or a door stop.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:22 PM

It is interesting, that's for sure. But CREI, the developer for this project has little to no track record of actually completing anything at all. Their residential projects are still yet to be completed and all wayyyy behind schedule. I believe the company's financial health will play a major role in whether or not this gets built.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:26 PM
arf

I give it an interesting. Somewhat cool. Looks like it would be built in Europe somewhere. Good show Philadelphia for having some different visions.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 5:06 PM

CREI has completed two residential buildings, both of which came out worse than the renderings.

101 Walnut is on the corner of Front and Walnut, it has one side that is completely concrete because it was built to the property line. Only problem is that on the other side of the line is a surface lot. It has full-floor units -- I don't know how well it has sold.

The Nouveau is in Old City and is almost impossible to find if you don't know where to look. It is on New Street and backs up to I-95 and a parking garage. Its a very strange location, but I can tell you that two of the four visible balconies have furniture on them.

Lastly, they are building American Loft in Northern Liberties. It was also designed by Architectonics. It is taking forever and, if you ask me, looks like a prison. The windows are tiny, and what in the renderings looks brown is in fact black, which contrasts very weird with the silver sides of the building. Hard to explain, but you cant miss it. Its the tallest building in nolibs.

I have a friend who's firm has worked with CREI before and they have vowed never to work with them again.

I do give CREI credit for having cajones.

Time will tell with this and their other buildings.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 8:26 PM
concrete wasteland

Agree on these CREI properties: In particular, 101 Walnut looks fine from the front but the 11? story blank concrete wall on the north side shines its ugly rear on my neighborhood. I hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly hardcore View Post
CREI has completed two residential buildings, both of which came out worse than the renderings.

101 Walnut is on the corner of Front and Walnut, it has one side that is completely concrete because it was built to the property line. Only problem is that on the other side of the line is a surface lot. It has full-floor units -- I don't know how well it has sold.

The Nouveau is in Old City and is almost impossible to find if you don't know where to look. It is on New Street and backs up to I-95 and a parking garage. Its a very strange location, but I can tell you that two of the four visible balconies have furniture on them.

Lastly, they are building American Loft in Northern Liberties. It was also designed by Architectonics. It is taking forever and, if you ask me, looks like a prison. The windows are tiny, and what in the renderings looks brown is in fact black, which contrasts very weird with the silver sides of the building. Hard to explain, but you cant miss it. Its the tallest building in nolibs.

I have a friend who's firm has worked with CREI before and they have vowed never to work with them again.

I do give CREI credit for having cajones.

Time will tell with this and their other buildings.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 10:01 PM

I've changed my mind on the building. While I still like the design. CREI has done $hitty job with American Life (building) and cut costs and made the building black. They will cost cuts with this. Second, notable buildings will be lost.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind field View Post
Philly has really been standing out lately with amazing proposals and newly constructed masterpieces like Cira Center, and to a lesser extent, Comcast Center. I love this new proposal, it will be an iconic piece of Philly architecture, complimenting an already amazing collection.
I'd love to see Philly return to being the architectural trailblazer it was during the time of Frank Furness. We're gradually becoming more willing to step away from our obsession with colonialism and our fear of building beyond 1000' (not to mention that ridiculous "curse"). We breed some amazing architects in this town, it's time we start using them. I think CREI's got a start on this, they just need to get their act together financially.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 4:13 PM

Impressive, especially for that location.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 5:02 PM
Posting Quick Reply

Wow, wasn't aware of this one. Great location for it too, Chestnut St. could really use this.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan118 View Post
Wow, wasn't aware of this one. Great location for it too, Chestnut St. could really use this.
I'm a supporter too

It will be interesting to see if the new Girard Block lease announced today will help or hurt this going forward.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 1:04 AM
Stay Classy Philadelphia

The building is fun. Philly needs more fun.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive