HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus1 View Post

at one time this was a beautiful project.
Those old renders are nice, but that spire was far too large for that building. I much prefer the current design.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 7:31 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:

at one time this was a beautiful project.
Oh what a sad sad loss. I'd take an empty lot over the current Chicago Spire. The Fortham Spire worked much more with the Chicago Skyline.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Oh what a sad sad loss. I'd take an empty lot over the current Chicago Spire. The Fortham Spire worked much more with the Chicago Skyline.
Not really.

We already have 2 flat top supertall buildings with poles on top, with one on the way (Trump Tower). We didn't need another.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 2:31 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
I find it laughable how many times you bring up the subject of how the Chicago Spire destroys the Chicago skyline and whatnot, when the big three that comprise the current skyline in Chicago have all respectively 'destroyed' their part of the skyline by totally dominating it in the same sense that Chicago Spire will. Considering the tremendous infill going on in Streeterville (like the Waldorf Astoria) to the North and the ridiculously tall Lakeshore East plan the entire area of downtown that Chicago Spire sits in will be inundated with new buildings. LSE is going to be one of the densest areas in North America, and the height of the buildings there (including Aqua, the BCBS vertical expansion, 340 On The Park and the unnamed Arquitectonica building) will make Aon just a meager peak in that area. If Chicago Spire wasn't built, that area would just lump out in terms of the skyline. Chicago's skyline is going to fill up a lot faster and a lot more pronounced than I think you realize.

Judge for yrself (renderings by Ryan81)

Seriously, if you think Chicago Spire is going to destroy the Chicago skyline you must be flipping shit about all the other tall stuff being built around there.

Last edited by CGII; Feb 28, 2008 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 2:35 AM

i liked A too.

Does anyone have the different proposals saved? i would like to see them again.
Finding them amongst the thousands of Chi Spire posts is just too much of a headache right now.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 4:55 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
I find it laughable how many times you bring up the subject of how the Chicago Spire destroys the Chicago skyline and whatnot, when the big three that comprise the current skyline in Chicago have all respectively 'destroyed' their part of the skyline by totally dominating it in the same sense that Chicago Spire will. Considering the tremendous infill going on in Streeterville (like the Waldorf Astoria) to the North and the ridiculously tall Lakeshore East plan the entire area of downtown that Chicago Spire sits in will be inundated with new buildings. LSE is going to be one of the densest areas in North America, and the height of the buildings there (including Aqua, the BCBS vertical expansion, 340 On The Park and the unnamed Arquitectonica building) will make Aon just a meager peak in that area. If Chicago Spire wasn't built, that area would just lump out in terms of the skyline. Chicago's skyline is going to fill up a lot faster and a lot more pronounced than I think you realize.

Seriously, if you think Chicago Spire is going to destroy the Chicago skyline you must be flipping shit about all the other tall stuff being built around there.
I DO like the Fordham Spire, I hate the Chicago Spire's fugly shape and height. I DO like the idea of a Supertall in that location but not like the Chicago Spire. Bleh! The Fordham Spire would have made a perfect addition to the skyline, the Chicago Spire is just too tall and oddly shaped for my taste. Jeeeese we all have our own opinions?

Last edited by Patrick; Aug 3, 2009 at 8:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 5:11 AM
TL;DR

Architecture is not just about the broad strokes, but also about the little things. "God is in the details" was an important axiom for Mies van der Rohe and, by extension, the entire Second Chicago School of architecture.

Santiago Calatrava has produced a work of absolute GENIUS on all scales. The shape of the tower was pretty much dictated by Kelleher and the economics on the project, which demanded enough sellable floor space to balance out the superdiculous costs of the extensive foundation. The lobby design, Calatrava's signature designs that extend down to the doorknobs, and the breathtaking curtain wall designed for the building more than balance out the shape, which I admit is not quite as inspiring as the Fordham original.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 6:09 PM

With the new version, shouldn't it come close to the top floor with the Burj?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 8:00 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Does anyone have the different proposals saved? i would like to see them again.
Previous designs, starting with the most recent:
Version E:

Version D:

Version C:

Version B: (my favorite)

Version A:

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 8:09 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Vesion C is so awful.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 9:11 PM

^some people felt really strongly about it, believe it or not

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 5:55 AM

Never liked it. Subsequent versions were much better. Version C was probably my favorite of the four.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 7:23 PM

Quote:

Judge for yrself (renderings by Ryan81)

Oh don't worry; Patrick isn't a SoCal troll, he's just likes to do this period, wherever he is.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 12:09 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Ohh Boyy, CGII, one hella annoying smartass. I DO like the Fordham Spire, I hate the Chicago Spire's fugly shape and height. I DO like the idea of a Supertall in that location but not like the Chicago Spire. Bleh! The Fordham Spire would have made a perfect addition to the skyline, the Chicago Spire is just too tall and oddly shaped for my taste. Jeeeese we all have our own opinions, so really now, hush.
Fine if you like or don't like it, but you're reasoning on the basis of 'zomg it'll totally destroy Chicago' is just ludicrous, when other buildings in Chi that you love are far more guilty of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH
Oh don't worry; Patrick isn't a SoCal troll, he's just likes to do this period, wherever he is.
First of all, I have no idea what you're trying to say, second of all, it was totally uncalled for.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 1:51 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
Version C is so awful.
Actually, although I hated it at the time, I'm starting to warm up to it. The world's largest, most beautiful smokestack for the City That Works....

The only previous version I still don't like is Version E, which got the curvature totally wrong and looks even more dildo-like than the current design.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Vesion C is so awful.
not that i disagree, but i always thought D was plain awful. C was so weird it was almost good.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 9:05 PM

I believe the current version is very very good. It will be the icon Chicago's skyline has always needed, even if it will intitially be ridiculed for looking like a sex toy. In the end it will be loved by the general public. Most people won't even know other renderings ever existed, which is a good thing because version B is so frickin fantastic that it makes the current design look positively silly. I won't ever be ever to look at it without sighing about what could have been.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Fine if you like or don't like it, but you're reasoning on the basis of 'zomg it'll totally destroy Chicago' is just ludicrous, when other buildings in Chi that you love are far more guilty of this.

First of all, I have no idea what you're trying to say, second of all, it was totally uncalled for.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Vesion C is so awful.
Version C is probably the one that I prefer - the lesser of 5 evils.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 7:08 AM
Registered

^ Wow, that's what I call a minority opinion! Bravo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects