HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 9:36 PM
There is always a way

I don't get why they think they can hit that kind of a payday on those lots. It would be good if the city would incentivize development of surface lots more. Lots of policy tools that could make that work. Like passing ordinances that would raise taxes on surface parking significantly and also using TIFs to encourage building on those lots. Like the TIF could just be in the form of a long tax deferral. they could keep the property tax rate at the lower level for a longer time while raising it by a lot if the owner did nothing with their lot.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:13 PM

I think a parking lot tax would be better than a TIF, as TIF doesn’t penalize parking, and at this point we’re not really short on interest, more short on willing owners.

I do think unfortunately it has to wait a bit though. We NEED better transit in and out of downtown before we take actions that would drastically increase the price of parking. I’m actually in favour of parking going up to deter driving, but I don’t think our transit system is adequate enough for many to make the jump. I use a mix of transit, car, and bike to get to work in The Exchange.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:19 PM

I'm also in favour of putting a higher price on driving and parking downtown, but I wouldn't be able to say when it is or isn't appropriate. Ive heard some business owners in the Exchange say that making it more expensive to park and drive downtown would kill their business and I definitely think its important to consider them.

The other more cynical side of me also thinks that we won't get better transit until more affluent, probably white, more conservative people start demanding it. As long as our city "puts cars first" this demand won't happen. Maybe making it more expensive to drive/park would result in people demanding better transit. Especially if the revenue from the tax/pricing went into transit.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I'm pretty sure it's been said before that there are no 'vacant' lots downtown. There are parking lots that generate revenue and pay low taxes. And the owners of these lots don't want to sell because they're waiting for a big payday, so it's just cheaper and easier tear down an existing bldg. Frustrating.
skycity overpaying for a parking lot by a huge multiple really created a problem, too, since some less savvy owners now have in their heads that their parking lot could be worth that much

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 8:56 PM

416 Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I drive through downtown everyday and I can't help notice how many "for lease" or "office space available" signs I see on buildings. There seems to be a lot of office space available so this leads me to believe we won't being seeing any new office towers anytime soon.

If we do get a new office high rise, I hope its at this spot on main. I think its 416 Main. This lot needs to be filled up.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89647...7i13312!8i6656
That lot has been a blight and embarrassment for decades.
I think Harvard owns it and suggested in about 4 - 5 years they then might consider developing it.
Many of us would love to see a 35 - 45 floor office tower but realistically, the former proposed plan for The Westin hotel mixed use approximately 30 floor building seems like what Might happen. I am certainly ok with that.
This a great spot for prestigious hotel brand. you have both the Fairmont in close proximity and the smaller but new Hyatt Place opening soon.
How proud we can all be to finally see this large span of concrete put to good use.
Then Hopefully the lots around Graham continue to attract development.
It will predominantly be rentals and the odd condo and eventually another office, hotel..Mixed use buildings are popular in most cities these days. One will hopefully have a domino effect. Oh well, I can dream.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:08 PM

$5/day property tax levy on every parking lot spot in the city (multi-storey parkades are taxed at number of spots divided by levels or something - Winnipeg Square would pay about $600,000/year under that plan). Polo Park, St. Vital Centre. Costco. Walmart. Everyone. Give the money to transit. What's that, $200M/year+? And it discourages parking lots and it reduces demand for parking everywhere (assuming prices rise). Hell, make suburban parking spots $10/day and encourage downtown retail.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:15 PM

There were a number of tease posts made in the latter half of 2018, noting future announcements would be made regarding some major projects. Are any of these projects still in play or should we not expect anything for the next while?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
$5/day property tax levy on every parking lot spot in the city (multi-storey parkades are taxed at number of spots divided by levels or something - Winnipeg Square would pay about $600,000/year under that plan). Polo Park, St. Vital Centre. Costco. Walmart. Everyone. Give the money to transit. What's that, $200M/year+? And it discourages parking lots and it reduces demand for parking everywhere (assuming prices rise). Hell, make suburban parking spots $10/day and encourage downtown retail.
Your wish came true, almost. Polo Park now charging $5 for VIP parking.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 1:53 PM

^And people are losing their minds over it on the internets. Boycotting Polo Park. haha its' crazy. go park in the sea of free parking just as you did. Let those who wish pay $5 for vip.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Your wish came true, almost. Polo Park now charging $5 for VIP parking.
I suspect they're not handing that revenue over to Winnipeg Transit...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 5:03 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I'm also in favour of putting a higher price on driving and parking downtown, but I wouldn't be able to say when it is or isn't appropriate. Ive heard some business owners in the Exchange say that making it more expensive to park and drive downtown would kill their business and I definitely think its important to consider them.

The other more cynical side of me also thinks that we won't get better transit until more affluent, probably white, more conservative people start demanding it. As long as our city "puts cars first" this demand won't happen. Maybe making it more expensive to drive/park would result in people demanding better transit. Especially if the revenue from the tax/pricing went into transit.
It would result in businesses leaving downtown or going broke. They should be building parking lots and garages all over downtown if they want people to go downtown. It’s counterproductive to tax people for doing the thing you want them to do.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 5:09 PM

Downtown is covered in parking. All over. Parkades, surface lots, on street. There's loads of it.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 6:42 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4life View Post
There were a number of tease posts made in the latter half of 2018, noting future announcements would be made regarding some major projects. Are any of these projects still in play or should we not expect anything for the next while?
Things move slowly here in Winnipeg.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 7:31 PM
There is always a way

So you're saying theres a chance

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 8:21 PM
Winnipeg

Why aren't there new projects and opportunities?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 9:17 PM

They are coming. Just be patient.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 11:32 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They are coming. Just be patient.
No no no, I meant to say there were of course projects and opportunities cooking that we don't know. I know they are coming

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
No no no, I meant to say there were of course projects and opportunities cooking that we don't know. I know they are coming
I know I'd love to hear about some of these, but I'm also tired of seeing splashy "proposals" trumpeted in the media, only to have them disappear soon afterwards because they were not much more than some developer's pipe dream. I can wait for the firm announcements.....but I don't really like to!!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:03 PM
There is always a way

Why did the last mixed use proposal for the site get canceled. The 28 floor hotel and condo (416 Main). I know that it looked for a while like a sure thing

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It would result in businesses leaving downtown or going broke. They should be building parking lots and garages all over downtown if they want people to go downtown. It’s counterproductive to tax people for doing the thing you want them to do.
That common sense is all lost on a bunch of the quasi urbanist crowd in here, now with bike lanes hacked in all over the Exchange which makes the parking situation even worse let’s see how long before retail in the Exchange lasts!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan