HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I agree although I think you'd be able to make a compelling case for a 10 to 15 floor hotel. It would be located almost in a perfect place. That would also be a fantastic lobby. The club hasn't really done too much to modify the main part of the building
That actually sounds like a great idea. The kind of place you would really want to stay at when going to Winnipeg. I wish I was young and had a pile of dough lol.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
That actually sounds like a great idea. The kind of place you would really want to stay at when going to Winnipeg. I wish I was young and had a pile of dough lol.
I always thought it was a bit funny that no one built a new hotel in the heart of the Exchange. There have been a couple on the periphery of the area or within walking distance (Mere, Alt, now Hyatt House on the way), but none right in the middle of things. Having one somewhere like the Bodegoes site would really be a perfect place to showcase the heart of the city.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:03 PM
There is always a way

Well I am young but I don't really have money lol. But yeah if I were rich there's a pile of projects I'd be really excited to take on
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
This may be a simplistic question to some, but why does the current Palomino Club building need to be destroyed in order to develop the large empty strip of land next to it? It's not that large a piece of land! I am sure there are architects skilled enough to design a building that would fit into that space, builders capable enough to construct it and accountants savvy enough to make it financially worthwhile.
Ideally, that would be the case: the owner of the two empty lots north of 201 Portage (~30,000 s.f. altogether) develops something taller (12+) here, and leaves the Newmac building alone. The Newmac gets a major renovation and the lot at the corner of Main and McDermot gets a new 6-8 storey building.

But, as with most issues related to downtown development, it’s a matter of who owns what. The owner of the vacant lots may also want to buy up the Newmac and the vacant/patio lot at Main and McDermot and consolidate the properties so that a 30,000 s.f. site is now a 44,000 s.f. site, with all the added design flexibility that comes along with it. Of course it’s very much a departure from the traditionally fine-grain nature of traditional urbanism, but that doesn’t change that there isn’t really a direct way to stop land assembly from happening here.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
My hypothetical question in this instance was specific to this location because there is a heritage building with empty lots on both sides. Quite a unique block with the south end being a modern glass and steel tower and the north end a 100+ year old protected heritage zone.

I was just curious as to peoples thoughts.
I think the damage was done 30-40 years ago, during the years when the McIntyre Building and the old buildings at the NW corner of Portage and Main were demolished. With at least some of those building still standing (nevermind the old Dominion Bank building at Main and McDermot that was demolished in the early 1960s), this would very much feel like part of the Exchange District's built environment, but as it is, the Newmac/Bank of BNA building is a bit of an isolated remnant. I would *love* to see it kept, and development spring up on either side of it, but I don't know if it would be worth saving for its own historic merits alone... simply to be a lone reminder of a previous, now long-gone streetscape.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
I think the damage was done 30-40 years ago, during the years when the McIntyre Building and the old buildings at the NW corner of Portage and Main were demolished. With at least some of those building still standing (nevermind the old Dominion Bank building at Main and McDermot that was demolished in the early 1960s), this would very much feel like part of the Exchange District's built environment, but as it is, the Newmac/Bank of BNA building is a bit of an isolated remnant. I would *love* to see it kept, and development spring up on either side of it, but I don't know if it would be worth saving for its own historic merits alone... simply to be a lone reminder of a previous, now long-gone streetscape.
Exactly this. If you left the Bank of BNA Building in place and built around it, then at Main and McDermot you are either building a) a modern design which does nothing to contribute to the historic character of the Exchange District, or b) a pseudo-historical set piece of a building built to blend with the old buildings but which would inevitably be even worse than the modern design.

The damage was done in the 70s, there is really not that much left to save. IMO the biggest argument for preserving the Bank of BNA is that it forces developers to do something slightly more fine-grained in nature as wardlow mentioned, as opposed to one mega-development stretching from 201 Portage right up to McDermot.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 11:03 PM

Interestingly enough, this is somewhat similar to the Pantages Context. Heritage building with vacant lots on either side, one now being the quasi-plaza, not dissimilar to the Pal's patio. Then you've got a more modern building down the street from that, RMTC, or in the case of the Pal, 201 Portage.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:56 AM
Winnipeg

They will have to work with the conflict between new development and heritage some day. In my opinion as the speed of development is getting greater a strategy have to be developed, like buying and demolishing those big box stores on Portage and start new development there.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 6:04 PM

Mini Bump... As the Winnipeg thread speaks to many different construction related topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I will respectfully have to disagree with you on this one. I'm not talking new tallest every year but lots of proposals in the pipeline.
It would appear this prognostication was quick to bear fruit over the last number of months alone.

To recap what's coming online over the next 5 years or so:

- 300 Main
- Wawanesa Building
- Sutton Place Towers
- Portage Place Residential
- 634 Portage Ave
- Mystery Project between Main, Portage, Memorial, and Broadway

This doesn't even include the proposed/under construction residential high-rise projects on Pembina.

If there is anything I have missed, please feel free to add. Just imagine what Winnipeg might look like in 10 years time...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4life View Post

- 634 Portage Ave
Whats going up at 634 Portage?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 9:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Whats going up at 634 Portage?
some firm is looking to build apartments with mixed use there using words like prominant location and importance who knows what it will look like yet but someone heres seems to of seen preliminary drawings of some sort so its moving along through process's

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4life View Post
Mini Bump... As the Winnipeg thread speaks to many different construction related topics.

It would appear this prognostication was quick to bear fruit over the last number of months alone.

To recap what's coming online over the next 5 years or so:

- 300 Main
- Wawanesa Building
- Sutton Place Towers
- Portage Place Residential
- 634 Portage Ave
- Mystery Project between Main, Portage, Memorial, and Broadway

This doesn't even include the proposed/under construction residential high-rise projects on Pembina.

If there is anything I have missed, please feel free to add. Just imagine what Winnipeg might look like in 10 years time...
It's nice to see a steady stream of projects, particularly downtown. I still have bad memories of the 90s when it felt like almost nothing happened for the decade+ from when 201 Portage was built until the MTS Centre opened.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
some firm is looking to build apartments with mixed use there using words like prominant location and importance who knows what it will look like yet but someone heres seems to of seen preliminary drawings of some sort so its moving along through process's
Looks like a 20 story building with CRUs facing Portage and townhouses on the Furby side.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 8:39 PM

That's sounds cool. I have been wondering whats going to go up there. Glad it's something with some height.

I remember reading on here awhile back about a project at the corner of logan and princess in Chinatown. Does anyone what happened to that??

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 9:11 PM

Posted yesterday to Private Pension Partners' site:

Quote:
Acquisition of 634 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg by Private Pension Partners

Private Pension Partners is pleased to announce the 100% acquisition of the raw land development site located at 634 Portage Avenue in Winnipeg, MB.

P3’s vision for this site is to develop an urban-infused, purpose-built high-rise apartment tower in a trade area longing for a higher rental standard.

Given the site’s location on the edge of Winnipeg’s core, 634 Portage will act as a new architectural gateway to downtown Winnipeg when approaching from the west and will be a valuable addition to the city’s skyline. Initial design considerations for the building include a durable, community focus with utilitarian stacking and scale to maximize affordability and operational performance.
source: https://privatepensionpartners.com/a...enue-winnipeg/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 11:59 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1970

Further to the comment above from Winnipeg Construction X thread.

How many hi-rises could line the North End side of Arlington Street, Winnipeg's next BIG DEAL neighbourhood gentrificaiton?

Imagine the tax dollars that the city could get by putting many many many people there, increasing the density of the neigbourhood, getting rid of early 20th century old homes.

Given 20 to 30 year timeline (start planning NOW), the Arlington Street Corridor & Neighbourhood could become quite attractive to live, work, play.

A *new* Arlington Street would be ready for rapid transit, would have AT infrastructure, would connect to a brand new Arlington Street Bridge.

It could happen IF we want it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:57 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1970

Further to the comment above from Winnipeg Construction X thread.

How many hi-rises could line the North End side of Arlington Street, Winnipeg's next BIG DEAL neighbourhood gentrificaiton?

Imagine the tax dollars that the city could get by putting many many many people there, increasing the density of the neigbourhood, getting rid of early 20th century old homes.

Given 20 to 30 year timeline (start planning NOW), the Arlington Street Corridor & Neighbourhood could become quite attractive to live, work, play.

A *new* Arlington Street would be ready for rapid transit, would have AT infrastructure, would connect to a brand new Arlington Street Bridge.

It could happen IF we want it.
Why get rid of early 20th century homes? The housing stock in the north end includes some of the more handsome buildings in the city. Those that aren't in good shape could be replaced by higher density buildings but leave the good ones (of which there are many)
Federalist #10, James Madison

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan