HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 3:19 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
When was the last time the cup was actually awarded in Canada? I cant remember if Vancouver or Edmonton lost at home in the finals.
Boston won in Vancouver in 2011.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Don't get too excited about the 12.5%. We had a 25% chance to get #1 and we ended up with #3 and #5. On the other hand, "placeholder team" had a 1% chance, soooo.
Canucks have always dropped down in the draft lottery, but maybe we will get lucky for once. A 1 in 8 chance at another franchise type player is intriguing. I’m imagining Pettersson with Lafraniere.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Canucks have always dropped down in the draft lottery, but maybe we will get lucky for once. A 1 in 8 chance at another franchise type player is intriguing. I’m imagining Pettersson with Lafraniere.
In Vancouver's half century history, they have NEVER had a first overall pick!!
And as a result have had ZERO Norris Trophy winners!
= ZERO Stanley Cups.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 6:08 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton to host Stanley Cup Final!!!

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-will-hos...nals-1.1491426

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 7:13 PM
arf

Well I'll eat my words on that. I am pretty surprised.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
In Vancouver's half century history, they have NEVER had a first overall pick!!
And as a result have had ZERO Norris Trophy winners!
= ZERO Stanley Cups.
Vancouver used to draft poorly, look how many players who spend significant time with the Canucks are in the HHOF.

Good for Edmonton, this should do well for that city! Hopefully you get to see my Flames play and eliminate the Oilers! Someone needs to spike Hellebuyck's water first though...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 7:33 PM

Pleasantly surprised. This is great for Edmonton, assuming nothing goes wrong!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Well I'll eat my words on that. I am pretty surprised.
Yeah, it's a pretty surprising about-face from the NHL.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Yeah, it's a pretty surprising about-face from the NHL.
I'd imagine the main reasoning was the fact that once they're down to only 4 teams remaining, they could conceivably run the whole "bubble" only out of downtown and not need the tertiary rinks anymore, making Edmonton's set up better in that it's all contained in one complex vs. Toronto which would still involve busing and such.

Cool to see though! Now I just hope this all doesn't end up being a complete disaster once we get going...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:35 PM

^ What are the rinks that will be used in Edmonton? Any others besides Rogers Place and the smaller rink attached to it?

And in Toronto, is it Scotiabank and Coca-Cola Coliseum?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ What are the rinks that will be used in Edmonton? Any others besides Rogers Place and the smaller rink attached to it?

I would imagine that they could run the playoffs with two rinks in each city, with three playoff series at each rink during round 1.

Would love to see Maple Leaf Gardens used by the NHL once again, though I doubt that will happen.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:54 PM

^ Interesting. I thought it was going to be one rink per city for games and then just practice venues, but you're saying it's two rinks per city for games?

So for Toronto, Scotiabank and Coca-Cola are an easy choice given that they're fully equipped and close to each other... MLG would have been awesome, though. I wonder what the secondary rink in Edmonton would be, though? Can the community rink at Rogers Place accommodate that given the various requirements for things like lighting, dressing rooms, camera positions, etc.? And if not in there, then where?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:58 PM

Quote:
^ Interesting. I thought it was going to be one rink per city for games and then just practice venues, but you're saying it's two rinks per city for games?

So for Toronto, Scotiabank and Coca-Cola are an easy choice given that they're fully equipped and close to each other... MLG would have been awesome, though. I wonder what the secondary rink in Edmonton would be, though? Can the community rink at Rogers Place accommodate that given the various requirements for things like lighting, dressing rooms, camera positions, etc.? And if not in there, then where?
Oh, I have no idea. Based on your comment, I thought the plan was to play in multiple rinks.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:01 PM

I'm in the dark about the logistics... not much has been said publicly. But I took it for granted that any host would need at least two rinks to accommodate the sheer number of teams in each.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:24 PM
Community Guy

Quote:

At one point they were going to take over the Terwillegar Rec Centre:

4 rinks
Training centre
Gym
Pools

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 6:43 PM
I am the law!

Quote:

People lose all common sense when it comes to sports. In no way should this be hosted downtown and between Scotiabank, Coca Cola and Ryerson, etc. A case could be made for turning the CNE grounds into an island but, it's still within a dense urban environment during a pandemic. Toronto is also primed to be a major hot spot in 4 to 6 weeks because its residents have nearly given completely up on distancing. This won't help at all. The league cares about your money. It clearly doesn't go any deeper than that.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
People lose all common sense when it comes to sports. In no way should this be hosted downtown and between Scotiabank, Coca Cola and Ryerson, etc. A case could be made for turning the CNE grounds into an island but, it's still within a dense urban environment during a pandemic. Toronto is also primed to be a major hot spot in 4 to 6 weeks because its residents have nearly given completely up on distancing. This won't help at all. The league cares about your money. It clearly doesn't go any deeper than that.
Yeah, that is a fair comment. The hub city arrangement is a little worrisome... you have to wonder if Vancouver dodged a bullet when they turned down their opportunity to host the NHL. If their players end up spreading disease it's not the league that ends up having to pick up the tab. The CFL is no different.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that is a fair comment. The hub city arrangement is a little worrisome... you have to wonder if Vancouver dodged a bullet when they turned down their opportunity to host the NHL. If their players end up spreading disease it's not the league that ends up having to pick up the tab. The CFL is no different.
I dont think a working crew of a few thousand are going to be a real problem for the city in terms of affecting the case load in any significant way. More people congregate in Trinity Bellwoods on a warm Sarurday. I just foresee people freaking out when some players or staff inevitably test positive and the whole thing grinds to a halt two weeks in. They should either set out guidelines in advance for what an acceptable exposure level is or not bother with this whole song and dance imo.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 1:18 AM
I am the law!

Toronto residents acting foolishly within their own backyard is not the same as a private entity staging an international event in the heart of the city during a pandemic. They could stage it anywhere where there is a lot less potential of spread if it was about us, the fans. This is strictly about money and, since its not only sports but, hockey, that they will get the politicians to bend the coronavirus guidelines to suit their purposes. They aren't even hiding it. They want full arenas for the playoffs which you cannot accomplish in a quarantined setup in the middle of nowhere.

I'm really upset that Toronto was not only chosen but, that one comment even suggested using the Ryerson rink at MLG across town from the CNE and/or Scotiabank. I'm happy to see the season concluded but, this is not the way to do it.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 1:24 AM

Full arenas? There's going to be like 100 people at each game. No Canadian city would've been considered if this was an actual fan event.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada