HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's a tricky site, they CAN put the tower to the south of the apartment but then it overshadows the church, and the church may not accept that since this is their project.

As noted, the lot north of Maple belongs to a different church so that is not in play here.

The Assumption Church project at Illinois and Franklin is a good example of a church and a highrise playing nice together, but they had more space to work with.
The parking space is also in an L shape around the building on the corner. I would guess that building on just that awkward lot is going to result in a more than proportional reduction in usable square footage, and a less than proportional reduction in costs.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:46 PM
TL;DR

^ Of course, an L-shaped or skinny highrise just ain't gonna happen here... the only remotely realistic way to "preserve" that red brick apartment is to paste the facade onto the tower's new podium.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 5:43 PM
The City

I feel bad for the Nobu developers. Thankfully Robert de Niro has a successful day job as an A-list Hollywood actor!

I mean, first they had to appease some NIMBY's, then got off to a slow start, had a shitty project manager, switched developers, God knows what other construction delays, and finally when the whole thing is done...............it's now the worst time in modern history for the hotel industry!

I really am hoping for the best

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 4:00 PM

Looks like the Onni project on Grand recently topped off the core.
I assume there's more of the crown left to build--it has that funky superstructure up top.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:20 PM

The Nobu rooftop bar opens today... I know they were doing work on it recently but this is definitely a surprise to me.

This article also has some pictures of the rooftop, seems pretty nice.

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/7/1/2...st-loop-deniro

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:37 PM
Urbane observer

New proposal for 601 S. Dearborn (at Harrison). Looks like 14 floors, 462 units (most studios), 5500 sf retail, 25 parking stalls (required by the Transportation Building PD from 1981). Architect is FitzGerald:

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Jul 1, 2020 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:02 PM

^for Fitzgerald, it's not TOO bad... my biggest beef, why can't they take the base all the way south to meet the 3-story neighbor instead of insisting on symmetry and what will be a few awkward balconies butting up against the party wall...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...34!4d-87.62892

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:05 PM

Doesn't look that great, but I like the density. How likely is it that NIMBYs will block this though?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:34 PM
The City

^ Great density and filler, the problem is that Loop/near Loop rents are facing some strong downward forces due to the current job/pandemic situation.

If/when this gets approved, starts construction, etc that might be years off so perhaps by then things will be much stronger. But right now, I don't think we are going to see much new residential construction in the area.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:36 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Looks like something that belongs in Palatine, or Hoffman Estates. Bland af.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 9:14 PM

All these new units in Chicago... who's going to occupy them?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 10:32 PM

Parkline - 50 E Randolph

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 10:42 PM

808 N Wells

June 25

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 10:52 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
New proposal for 601 S. Dearborn (at Harrison). Looks like 14 floors, 462 units (most studios), 5500 sf retail, 25 parking stalls (required by the Transportation Building PD from 1981). Architect is FitzGerald:
Didn't you suggest to the alderman at some point that a developer should mirror the Transportation Building on that lot, and you got laughed out of the room?

My how the times change...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 11:17 PM
Urbane observer

Um, I'm not sure what you're thinking of. Which alderman? I've always supported new tall narrow buildings in a district of tall narrow buildings. I want them to use the massing, materials, and design vocabulary of Printing House Row, though.

Twenty years ago, as neighbors were making a big stink about a new building adjoining the Trans Bldg to the south, demanding a park, I commented that this parking lot on the east side of Dearborn would actually be the much better place for an urban plaza, since it has the solar exposure, and it could even have one or two levels of subterranean parking beneath, much like San Francisco's Union Square, to help pay for it. But I was never in a setting to suggest that seriously to anyone.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 11:44 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:

Better to put that blah building there where nobody would notice it than at 601 S State.

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Jul 2, 2020 at 4:32 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 3:31 AM

601 S Dearborn looks like a great proposal to me. My criteria for great is that it replaces a surface parking lot, it doesn't have a huge parking podium, and it has ground floor retail. For that location, the only thing better would be something 500 ft or taller. This is a perfectly good urban proposal for Printer's Row/South Loop. The amount of griping over good proposals on this board is something else.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 4:33 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
601 S Dearborn looks like a great proposal to me. My criteria for great is that it replaces a surface parking lot, it doesn't have a huge parking podium, and it has ground floor retail. For that location, the only thing better would be something 500 ft or taller. This is a perfectly good urban proposal for Printer's Row/South Loop. The amount of griping over good proposals on this board is something else.
My problem is it really doesn't mesh with its neighbors all that well.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 7:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Um, I'm not sure what you're thinking of. Which alderman? I've always supported new tall narrow buildings in a district of tall narrow buildings. I want them to use the massing, materials, and design vocabulary of Printing House Row, though.

Twenty years ago, as neighbors were making a big stink about a new building adjoining the Trans Bldg to the south, demanding a park, I commented that this parking lot on the east side of Dearborn would actually be the much better place for an urban plaza, since it has the solar exposure, and it could even have one or two levels of subterranean parking beneath, much like San Francisco's Union Square, to help pay for it. But I was never in a setting to suggest that seriously to anyone.
Not sure why I thought that.

Anyway, I understand why hand-laid brick is probably not cost-effective for a highrise like this - nor would it look historic, with a flashing at every floor. But there are certainly materials out there that can evoke the colors and textures of brick at a lower cost. Facade depth is a trickier one, but ideally you'd want some relief at the windows as well so the whole thing doesn't look too slick.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
And at 462 units it's adding a good amount of density to the area

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations