HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
I just saw the report on TSN that U Sports Canada West will cancel all sports this fall. They mentioned the Canada West has 5 football programs that were scheduled to play a shortened 5 game season... the 6 programs being UofA Golden Bears, U Calgary Dino’s, Manitoba Bisons, Sask Huskies, Regina Rams, UBC Thunderbirds...

I thought UBC was part of NCAA div II or III? Is that experiment over?
Simon Fraser plays NCAA UBC plays U Sports in Canada West under Canadian Football rules.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:50 PM

CFL considering ‘adopt-a-team’ model for 2020 season: report

It could soon be time for CFL teams to partner up.
TSN’s Farhan Lalji joined Rick Ralph and Paul Edmonds on TSN 1290 radio to discuss how the CFL season could look in 2020.

“One of the models that is being considered quite favourably is not the hub city model but the ‘adopt-a-team’ model,” Lalji said.
The hub city model was predicated on housing all nine CFL teams in neighbouring locations — possibly Regina and Winnipeg — to play out the season. This new model would see teams double-up in cities across western Canada to share facilities.
“Right now, it’s believed by most around that CFL that we’re not going to see football played in the east. Those four eastern teams are going to be playing somewhere else, whether it’s in a hub or — more likely — Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Regina each take a team.”

Lalji believes that the cancellation of the U Sports season could make it easier for the CFL to play this season. Dorm rooms across Canada will be empty in the fall as universities offer classes exclusively online. It’s possible that space could be used to house CFL players.
“Winnipeg shares a stadium with the [University of Manitoba] Bisons. Who’s to say that for the year the Bisons couldn’t remove all their equipment and a CFL team could walk in there? It would be a totally acceptable set-up.”
A similar setup exists in Calgary where the Dinos have a locker room at McMahon Stadium. The University of Alberta is very close to Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, while the University of Regina is only ten minutes from Mosaic Stadium.

Limiting the expense of player housing is one of the CFL’s primary concerns regarding the feasibility of the 2020 season. Using U Sports training facilities and dorm rooms could make it easier for a season to go ahead.
Now it’s time to let the speculation begin: if the CFL implements the ‘adopt a team’ model, which teams should be paired up out west?

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/09/c...season-report/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 11:21 PM

Former CFL commish Larry Smith has a unique perspective on the current coronavirus crisis the league is trying to work through.
Smith was the eighth commissioner of the CFL, a post held from 1992 to 1997 and he’s currently the Conservative Senate leader. He’s kept track from afar of Randy Ambrosie’s plea for $150 million in federal financial aid due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The CFL franchise cost to operate is somewhere between $25 to $30 million per year, multiply that by nine it is about $250 million to fund each of the clubs on a yearly basis, that would be my estimate. So if you’re asking for $150 million, it’s a reasonable ask,” Smith said on CTV Ottawa.
“There’s a problem with optics. The challenge is when you have a sports league ask for any form of support or bailout, it makes it very, very difficult. It has to be strings attached and you would think that there would be some form of a repayment and that wasn’t mentioned.”
The 69-year-old Smith oversaw the CFL’s attempt to expand and put franchises in the United States, which had five teams actually play football, but after three years the experiment ended – the Baltimore Stallions relocated to Montreal under Smith’s watch. Meanwhile, four of the eight Canadian based franchises were “failing” as he put it at that time.“Having lived five years of my life as commissioner, I was in a situation where the league was going to fold kind of every day. It was a tough experience, I’m glad that we got through it,” Smith said.
“When you look at it today, the ownership structure of the league, whether it’s the community owned teams or individual owners or major corporations, there’s a great group of people in there that have financial strength. The issue is how do you figure to get yourself out of it.”
The Hudson, Quebec native knows the economic model for the CFL is much different than the NFL. As of February 2019, each NFL franchise receives $255 million annually from the league’s TV contracts. Smith believes the CFL’s TV money is in the $5 to $6 million range per team.

“You have another $20 million that you have to generate through your season tickets, sponsorships and concessions. In Saskatchewan it’s doable, but when you get into other larger markets which have more competition it is difficult,” Smith said.
“Can the league save itself? Well they may need some help, but if you need help you’re going to have to have some form of a payment schedule. And, in fairness to the commissioner, he may have already discussed that, but it may not have been picked up in the press.”
Smith played collegiately for Bishop’s University in Montreal and he was picked first overall in the 1972 CFL draft by the Alouettes, playing all nine seasons in La Belle province. He amassed 1,646 rushing yards and 238 receptions for 2770 yards with 26 total touchdowns. Smith won two Grey Cups including The Ice Bowl in 1977 at Olympic Stadium.
“As a young Canadian my dream was to be a running back on the Montreal Alouettes and I lived my dream,” Smith said.

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/13/f...easonable-ask/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 2:32 PM

CFL imposes football operations cap reduction for 2021 season of 20%

The Canadian Football League has imposed a reduction to the football operations cap for the 2021 season, per sources.
Commissioner Randy Ambrosie mandated the cut without any consultation from football executives.

In December 2018, the CFL laid out the details for the non-player costs that were implemented for the 2019 season and stated it would be reviewed after the 2020 campaign.
Originally, the cap was set at just under $2.59 million, according to sources the league wants to shave it down closer to $2 million, trimming 20 percent or the equivalent of over $500,000 per team which combined could save franchises 4.5 million.

General managers, coaches, scouts, equipment people and video personnel count under the cap. Teams are now limited to coaching staffs of nine and 14 other football operations individuals, totaling 23.For the purposes of the cap, expenses include wages, salaries, benefits such as health plans, housing allowances and playoff bonuses which exceed the player share. Exclusions include business expenses, complimentary tickets and meals while working.
The non-player football operations cap was driven by Ambrosie and league’s executive council, consisting of the nine team presidents, with the board of governors approval.

Capping the football operations budget was designed to improve the financial bottom line for clubs, it’s a way for teams to control costs and level the playing field. Although, the talent evaluators and developers were already subjected to a pay cut once and the second one could deplete the quality of play.

Ever since Ambrosie revealed collectively CFL teams lose between $10 and $20 million per season, he’s been open about the fact the league needed to remodel its business plan. The fact the commish doesn’t yet have a plan for potentially playing in 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic, but constructed the mandate to slash salaries — again — tells us all about the current priorities.
Sound the alarm: CFL players, Ambrosie is coming for your money next. That’s because the once-hailed business man hasn’t produced on his promise to double league revenues or find the CFL’s Yao Ming. He’s stooped to taking more away from the people at the bottom of the pay scale instead of telling the owners to quit spending lavishly on flashy, big-name hires only to turn around and dole out millions to sit at home.

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/15/c...r-2021-season/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:56 PM

Dave Naylor and Farhan Lalji reporting CFLPA has been invited to start CBA discussions on 2020 and 2021 seasons. CFL football ops just got a 20% paycut for next year business ops now reported will take a 20% cut as well, 3downation reported earlier this week Randy Ambrosie has taken a 20% paycut this year and that it will likely be players asked to take a 20% paycut as well. Belt tightening is the easy part but Ambrosie when he came in promised to double league revenues in 10 years time and CFL 2.0 will not do that he needs to really get better visibility of advertising players in commercials and better advertising of league merchandise nationwide.

https://www.tsn.ca/3-downs-how-conve...yers-1.1487393

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 3:04 PM

^ "CFL 2.0" is dead. No one can expect Ambrosie to double league revenues now. I think everyone appreciates that the only real task on his radar now is keeping the league alive.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 7:04 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Agreed. Hope he can succeed in that endeavour.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:50 PM

CFL has discussed Hamilton/Burlington hub model with Ontario Minister of Sport

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/30/71373/

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 10:38 PM

Winnipeg chosen as CFL hub if league plays games in 2020: report

https://3downnation.com/2020/07/02/w...n-2020-report/

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 11:48 PM
Community Guy

Good on the Peg, although I cannot foresee this season manifesting.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:06 PM

Time to get out side the box IMO. The game needs changes anyway due to the concussion issue, COVID is forcing that hand so let's lean into it. Find a way to play, as well as making Canadian Football a unique sport again.

Sell it as old-time, throwback football.

-8 game season like way back already sets the stage for that.

-return to two-way football. Drastically reduce roster sizes, focus on all-around skills of players who can play both ways. Saves on costs. Will add a lot of interest into seeing how players cope. Most play two ways up through high school anyways, and some continue to switch up through the professional levels.

-Play with Canadians only, to eliminate border issues. Alternatively, allow half the usual number of Americans, so that those who have remained in Canada can play, and that should level out the inevitable situation of different teams being able to bring in different numbers of their rosters. Won't need to find additional Canadians to make up for them due to the point above.

-All downs to played in the "hurry up" style, but with expanded opportunity for this. Barring a penalty flag, the offense may set the line of scrimmage and snap the ball to begin play at the point of the tackle, without needing to be blown in by the ref. Onus is on the defense to get back onside in order to defend. I'm not sure about if it's outside the hash marks, IMO who cares play on, but maybe that would be a reasonable limit to "going quick" to make it more palatable to those who don't like it.

-Because of the above, and to emphasize the use of two-way players, substitutions may only be made on first down, and defense can only sub if offense does so, because as above, the O may be "going quick". And for injuries obviously. If the O wants to go quick and D has an injured player, play may continue as long it isn't near the injured player (rugby does this).

-If the D secures a turnover, they may begin play from the point of turnover immediately. They would be incentivized to use this advantage and "go quick" as much as possible, in order to prevent the other team from getting better defenders back onto the field.

The result would a faster game with better flow. The increased speed and limited subs would mean slimmer lineman and reduce impact of collisions. Adopting the rules throughout college and high school football would mean that over a few years Canadians would be the best suited to playing this style of football, reducing the reliance on Americans and making it more of a game by Canadians for Canadians.

We can talk about removing pads and helmets in a few years once people are used to this

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
-Play with Canadians only, to eliminate border issues. Alternatively, allow half the usual number of Americans, so that those who have remained in Canada can play, and that should level out the inevitable situation of different teams being able to bring in different numbers of their rosters. Won't need to find additional Canadians to make up for them due to the point above.
This thought occurred to me too... it's becoming clear that the disruption from covid won't be just something that affects this year. Chances are it will spill into 2021 and beyond. And the US in particular is getting in deep with all of this.

Maybe there is some merit to making the CFL a Canadian-only league? Run the league with Canadians, and grandfather the Americans who are willing and able to live in Canada year-round. Obviously there would be a price to pay in terms of play quality given that you'd be replacing a lot of top NCAA players with the second tier of U Sports and CJFL grads, but it could work out in the long run. And it's better than the CFL shutting down for a year or two.

US-based sports leagues could be derailed for the next couple years due to covid... this could be a good opportunity for Canada-based leagues like the CFL, CPL and CHL to step into the spotlight.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Winnipeg chosen as CFL hub if league plays games in 2020: report

https://3downnation.com/2020/07/02/w...n-2020-report/
Man I hope they let at least a few fans in. Even just 500 or 1,000 fans... I mean, it's an outdoor facility.

What I wouldn't give to sit outside on a nice summer evening and watch even a Lions-Argos matchup...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This thought occurred to me too... it's becoming clear that the disruption from covid won't be just something that affects this year. Chances are it will spill into 2021 and beyond. And the US in particular is getting in deep with all of this.

Maybe there is some merit to making the CFL a Canadian-only league? Run the league with Canadians, and grandfather the Americans who are willing and able to live in Canada year-round. Obviously there would be a price to pay in terms of play quality given that you'd be replacing a lot of top NCAA players with the second tier of U Sports and CJFL grads, but it could work out in the long run. And it's better than the CFL shutting down for a year or two.

US-based sports leagues could be derailed for the next couple years due to covid... this could be a good opportunity for Canada-based leagues like the CFL, CPL and CHL to step into the spotlight.
I'd like to see more opportunities for Canadians as well. There are many though who would say the league would be "unwatchable" if it was only Canadians.

Well, I give you the 2011, 2012 Vanier Cups when they were played on the same weekend as the Grey Cup. 30,000 people in BC Place and Skydome, two places that are not friendly to Canadian Football it seems.
Video Link

But if you have good atmosphere and back and forth games, the talent will come to the fore!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Man I hope they let at least a few fans in. Even just 500 or 1,000 fans... I mean, it's an outdoor facility.

What I wouldn't give to sit outside on a nice summer evening and watch even a Lions-Argos matchup...
Me too. You could have alternating rows of seating to maintain the 6ft distance. Everyone wearing masks and strict protocols on washroom use. I think if people could bring their own food and drinks (I see the loss of concessions) that would help as well.

We shall see!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:25 PM

^ I hear what you're saying. But the ideal scenario to convert to an all (or mostly) Canadian league would be a gradual ramp-up. To take a slightly above average linebacker from the Dinos and put him suddenly on the Ticats would probably not make for the smoothest transition to the pros.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
^ I hear what you're saying. But the ideal scenario to convert to an all (or mostly) Canadian league would be a gradual ramp-up. To take a slightly above average linebacker from the Dinos and put him suddenly on the Ticats would probably not make for the smoothest transition to the pros.
Agree, it would have to be gradual. USport players always need time to ramp up to CFL level.
But they are still great athletes with great talent. Most of the Canadian mouth breathers who poo poo the CFL are fat turds who would die if they had to run 25 metres.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 5:27 PM

It would at least be level for every team. And some USports players do end up playing and even starting their first year.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Time to get out side the box IMO. The game needs changes anyway due to the concussion issue, COVID is forcing that hand so let's lean into it. Find a way to play, as well as making Canadian Football a unique sport again.
Something I've personally thought a lot about as a fan in Toronto, witnessing firsthand that Canadian Football is a dying sport outside the Prairies provinces.

+1 to your recommendations and I'd add, change the uniform suppliers and design. Instead of just a copycat American look with big, individualistic emphasis on the numbers, go to something like the Aussie rules uniforms, with unique striping and colours for each club. And yes, helmets and pads are counterproductive to safety, with new uniforms we could institute at least reduced shoulder pad sizes as a start.

I once wrote the CFL asking if they'd ever solicit input from reasonably young, urban, eastern fans (ideally who they need to re-attract) but didn't get a response.

Maybe it's nostalgia but I'd love to see these designs as modernised uniforms :

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
go to something like the Aussie rules uniforms, with unique striping and colours for each club. And yes, helmets and pads are counterproductive to safety, with new uniforms we could institute at least reduced shoulder pad sizes as a start.

Maybe it's nostalgia but I'd love to see these designs as modernised uniforms :
Uh, let's not and say we didn't.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada