HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMusic View Post
So with the opening of Costco it appears they have finally updated the Shoppes at Galway website, including a list of all the stores confirmed so far.

Costco
Marshalls
HomeSense
PetSmart
Michael’s
Urban Shoes
Scotiabank
Dollarama
Starbucks
Expedia CruiseShipCenters
Supercuts
School of Rock
That's 12 and I believe Danny said 13 on the news the other night. So either a moved Princess Auto, a gas station, Cineplex or a CARA brand restaurant for number 13

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
That's 12 and I believe Danny said 13 on the news the other night. So either a moved Princess Auto, a gas station, Cineplex or a CARA brand restaurant for number 13
Maybe a Bass Pro

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 2:01 PM

Quote:
So with the opening of Costco it appears they have finally updated the Shoppes at Galway website, including a list of all the stores confirmed so far.

Costco
Marshalls
HomeSense
PetSmart
Michael’s
Urban Shoes
Scotiabank
Dollarama
Starbucks
Supercuts
School of Rock
How revolutionary. Certainly makes me want to buy an overpriced house in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 12:33 AM

Would LOVE to see a Bass Pro or Cabelas

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 2:28 PM

Lowes will be setting up shop next to Costco

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 3:04 PM

Where is that stated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_1 View Post

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Where is that stated?
I also heard this but pure speculation at this point. It'd be nice to know if there is any truth to this.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I also heard this but pure speculation at this point. It'd be nice to know if there is any truth to this.
The thing that I used to like about SSP was that there were seldom any unsubstantiated rumors posted to this subforum, unlike literally every other forum of social media.

If you're going to post something like this, then please cite your source. Hearing through the rumour mill isn't a source.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
All sorts of rumours abound. Common sense dictates that if anything is confirmed, Galway would promptly put it on their website as it helps sell.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
All sorts of rumours abound. Common sense dictates that if anything is confirmed, Galway would promptly put it on their website as it helps sell.
Here's a link to the Shoppes at Galway site plan. It's hard to say but from this plan it doesn't seem there's a building large enough to be a hardware store. Maybe building C1 but based on Costco square footage that too looks to be too small.

http://shoppesatgalway.ca/wp-content...-Site-Plan.jpg

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Here's a link to the Shoppes at Galway site plan. It's hard to say but from this plan it doesn't seem there's a building large enough to be a hardware store. Maybe building C1 but based on Costco square footage that too looks to be too small.

http://shoppesatgalway.ca/wp-content...-Site-Plan.jpg
C1 is the location

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Someone I know who is a lawyer thinks Lowes would have to wait a few years before opening a store in Newfoundland due to union issues with former RONA employees. He thinks former RONA employees could have a case regarding jobs at Lowes or any unionization of the store if a certain amount of time hasn't passed since RONA closed. If true I would think a Lowes announcement after at least 2 years has passed. If this lawyer is wrong about the contract former RONA employees had it could be sooner of course.

I have no doubt that opening a Lowes in Galway was part of closing the RONA stores. I also think Cineplex will open a theatre out there in a few years. Both of those are just my opinion and not fact. I've also heard a Colemans may be going out there. Again rumor.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The thing that I used to like about SSP was that there were seldom any unsubstantiated rumors posted to this subforum, unlike literally every other forum of social media.

If you're going to post something like this, then please cite your source. Hearing through the rumour mill isn't a source.
Unfortunately there isn't going to be a source for every piece of information posted on here, especially if that info. is confidential and/or preliminary.

In my opinion, lack of a public source doesn't equate to falsity. A lot of times it may be a rumor but more often it seems to be someone spreading the word, semi anonymously, before plans are released to the public. I would imagine the latter is the case in this situation.

A hardware store in Galway definitely makes sense, I can't think of many big box centers in Calgary or Edmonton that doesn't have a Home Depot, Lowe's, Canadian Tire, or Home Hardware.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
Unfortunately there isn't going to be a source for every piece of information posted on here, especially if that info. is confidential and/or preliminary.

In my opinion, lack of a public source doesn't equate to falsity. A lot of times it may be a rumor but more often it seems to be someone spreading the word, semi anonymously, before plans are released to the public. I would imagine the latter is the case in this situation.

A hardware store in Galway definitely makes sense, I can't think of many big box centers in Calgary or Edmonton that doesn't have a Home Depot, Lowe's, Canadian Tire, or Home Hardware.
What is the definition of confidential?

Rumors are often times just that, with no true basis on anything. Sometimes they are true, you're right, but most times in this province rumors tend to be nothing of truth. I would prefer if we were able to keep this sub-forum gossip free. If rumor were often true, St. John's would have 5 H&M's plus a Banana Republic by now.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
What is the definition of confidential?

Rumors are often times just that, with no true basis on anything. Sometimes they are true, you're right, but most times in this province rumors tend to be nothing of truth. I would prefer if we were able to keep this sub-forum gossip free. If rumor were often true, St. John's would have 5 H&M's plus a Banana Republic by now.
I agree with Marty. There are enough rumours at Tim Hortons. I don’t think he’s accusing anyone of falsity. Just that a lot of us come here for bonafide info when it’s available, not conjecture.

I’m sure Danny Williams will have anything that’s signed, out in the public as quick as it’s fact. It helps his project greatly to do so.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:44 AM

Quote:

Costco
Marshalls
HomeSense
PetSmart
Michael’s
Urban Shoes
Scotiabank
Dollarama
Starbucks
Supercuts
School of Rock
That's a disappointing list. I was hoping that some new stores,and restaurants,would open in Galway that would make it different from the other three centers,instead of it being "Stavanger West".

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I agree with Marty. There are enough rumours at Tim Hortons. I don’t think he’s accusing anyone of falsity. Just that a lot of us come here for bonafide info when it’s available, not conjecture.

I’m sure Danny Williams will have anything that’s signed, out in the public as quick as it’s fact. It helps his project greatly to do so.

We could just move this conversation to the Development Rumours thread

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlie_Steve View Post
That's a disappointing list. I was hoping that some new stores,and restaurants,would open in Galway that would make it different from the other three centers,instead of it being "Stavanger West".
Yes, you and many others (including me) I would imagine. If you look at the site plan there are many more buildings to construct. So I think there's still some hope we will see some new retailers. Let's keep our finger's crossed!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlie_Steve View Post
Three?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevan View Post
Three?
Stavanger, Kelsey and Merchant Drive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's