HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 3:35 PM

so this project is completely dead and there's no chance to revive it, correct me if I'm wrong

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 3:51 PM
MPLSXCHI

YUP, unless related wants to build it, which they won't so yeah 99.9999999% dead

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
YUP, unless related wants to build it, which they don't so yeah 99.9999999% dead

Sorry, could not resist.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 4:00 PM
MPLSXCHI

O no please get on with your mourning you have to move on.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 4:08 PM
MPLSXCHI

So what's up with the database it has the two related towers listed. Should this be changed to be dedicated to the future development of this site or just throw it away?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 5:08 PM

I sincerely doubt we are going to see 2 towers here, Related would have to amend the PD which would be a touch slog through the "community engagement process" with everyone on North Water Street who doesn't want anything blocking their view/sunlight and generating additional traffic for their exclusive dead-end street screaming for Alderman Reilly to block the revised project

Related is getting grilled right now with nearby 451 E Grand, combine this with the fact that the foundation is already in for a tower on the north end of the property; and i'm betting you will see 1 tower where the Spire was supposed to go.

Time is money and Related going to want a building there with as little delay and as little additional foundation work as possible.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 8:54 PM

I'll be the first to stay at Related Towers new Extended Stay Inn "On the former scenic Spire site..."

(That's a better plan of course!)

Quote:
This thread needs to be moved to the Never Built & Visionary archives.

It's dead and will never come back.
It may be weeks before we know, it depends what Related does with the site. I still think someone is going lobby for them to keep the Spire design or some version of it. It would be travesty to just throw the project out.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 10:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully whatever gets built here is worthy of the location. I'm sure that something nice will rise here. Related is pretty good and has a record to show for it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 11:34 PM

I'm actually relieved that the Spire is not being built. I liked the earlier design, as was posted a few posts back, with the 1600ft roof and 400ft spire. That Perkins&Will two-tower design would be fine by me, but I think the greatest hope would be for the old Waldorf-Astoria "blade of grass" design at ~1265ft would triumph here (knowing full well it's extremely unlikely). As long as something sizable and attractive goes on this ex-spire site, that'll be a win for our city. Let's just cross our fingers that it doesn't turn out to be Waterview part II!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Hopefully whatever gets built here is worthy of the location. I'm sure that something nice will rise here. Related is pretty good and has a record to show for it.
They have a very tall cliff to climb if there were to top the Spire. In fact I don't see that happening. If they do build something else I would hope for one tower and at least 1,500 feet tall. This is one of Chicago's last major scenic development waterfront sites, not just anything will do.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:44 AM

if the building ended up to be 1500-1600ft with a decent massing, i would be happy. its time we get something taller than the Sears Tower. plus Dusable park across LSD would get a makeover.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I agree Onn. I think that aesthetics given the location should override height. While we might not get something approaching 2000 ft, I'd be happy with something that would be a low-range supertall (1000-1200) or so, yet complement the waterfront. Something the likes of 201 N. Columbus would not be suitable for the area IMO. While its a nice project, its not on the aesthetic level that the spire presented. I think a 600-700 foot generic box would ruin the site to be honest.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 5:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I agree Onn. I think that aesthetics given the location should override height. While we might not get something approaching 2000 ft, I'd be happy with something that would be a low-range supertall (1000-1200) or so, yet complement the waterfront. Something the likes of 201 N. Columbus would not be suitable for the area IMO. While its a nice project, its not on the aesthetic level that the spire presented. I think a 600-700 foot generic box would ruin the site to be honest.
True, a Waldorf Astoria .02 would be great

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:18 AM

R.I.P. Spire.... Hopefully to never return!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
if the building ended up to be 1500-1600ft with a decent massing, i would be happy. its time we get something taller than the Sears Tower. plus Dusable park across LSD would get a makeover.
If this building ends up over 1,000 SF you should be ecstatic. Related is likely already planning a commie block with 2,000 rental units in a 50 story slab on this site as we type. They probably already placed a massive order for C-grade facade systems as soon as the news broke that Kellher had nothing lined up on Friday...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perklol View Post
True, a Waldorf Astoria .02 would be great
I agree. Shame that it was canceled. Now that was a hell of a project design wise:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/...834e8fe0_o.jpg

Something like this would be perfect for this site.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 2:05 PM

Keheller gumming up the system.

Quote:
Related to Spire developer: Where's the deed?

Mary Ellen Podmolik
Chicago Tribune
3 November 2014

The Chicago Spire's developer did not make a required payment to Related Midwest Friday that would have allowed it to retain possession of the coveted site for at least a little longer. Now, Related wants the property, stat..

About seven minutes after midnight on Saturday, seven minutes after which a payment of at least $22 million was due from Shelbourne North Water Street to Related Midwest but not made, attorneys for Related filed papers with U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Chicago to court to compel Irish developer Garrett Kelleher's Shelbourne to turn over the deed to the much-talked-about site at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive.

Related, arguing that Shelbourne breached an already approved settlement and the confirmed bankruptcy plan by not making a payment or handing over the deed, wants U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Janet Baer to order Shelbourne to relinquish the deed to the 2.2-acre site.

"(Shelbourne) failed to make the required payment to (Related) on or before Oct. 31, 2014," the motion filed Saturday states. "The debtor also failed to transfer the property to, or provide the necessary transfer documents to facilitate the transfer of the property to (Related) on or before Oct. 31, 2014."

Related also seeks to have sanctions imposed upon Shelbourne for violating agreements, causing Related to incur additional costs and for "making a mockery of the process undertaken in good faith by (Related) and others, including this court."

A hearing on Related's motion is scheduled for Tuesday morning in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...102-story.html

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 2:37 PM
The City

^. The true winners are always the lawyers...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^. The true winners are always the lawyers...
So true! I wonder if there is any legal or contractual basis for Shelbourne holding on to the site longer, or maybe their just stalling for time. Little phrases or clauses in an agreement can entirely change a situation. Many press releases don't express the full gravity of the situation. We'll find out sooner or later I suppose.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:28 PM

It'd be hilarious if Related got Robert Stern to do a tower for this site too. The usual Miesians would lose their collective minds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects