HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 6:24 PM
E pluribus unum

I hate it and wish Fort Washington Way could be capped. There's pedestrian bridges crossing over the expressway, but 71 still creates a huge disconnect between downtown and the riverfront.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Wall st

I think I found 4 people in that picture without their hat on, not including Charlie Chaplin lifted up by Douglas Fairbanks who has it above his head during a war bond drive. Those rabble rousers.

BTW that was 1918 the same year as the Spanish Flu. I don't see many masks or social distancing going on.

But to be fair that was April 9th 1918 before the Spanish flu got going into full steam.

Interesting facts....

https://www.boweryboyshistory.com/20...reet-tale.html

“It was difficult for the lay ear to determine whether Chaplin or Fairbanks got the most enthusiastic reception. But there one was feature that got more than either. That was the combination of Chaplin and Fairbanks. The later carried the former around on his shoulders, and the 20,000-odd crowd howled with delight.”

Afterwards, Fairbanks and vocalist Harvey Hindemeyer led the crowd in a rendition of “Over There,” the American war anthem written by Broadway impresario George M. Cohan the previous year. (The story behind that song was featured in our podcast on the birth of the Broadway musical.)

Mary Pickford was also on a war bonds tour through America at this time. The following year, Pickford, her secret lover Fairbanks, Chaplin and the film director D.W. Griffith would start the film studio United Artists.

The first million-dollar partners
United Artists Corporation stockholders Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, Charlie Chaplin and D.W. Griffith in 1919.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._W._...-_Griffith.jpg

Last edited by bnk; May 4, 2020 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 6:55 PM

^Ironically, I think he's on the site of 40 Wall St., which is now the Trump Building.

Edit: Nevermind. It's Federal Hall. The angle looked like it was farther down Wall.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 6:35 AM
They all float down here

State Street, which stretches most the Salt Lake Valley (ends at the Utah Capitol Building):

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 2:45 PM
if I sang out of tune

Oxford St -2km long, this looks like an utter alien world these days.

Video Link

^That was actually the lowest footfall on record (you can actually see the pavement for starters) thanks to the rise of online shopping, and the 3 new megamalls surrounding the centre:

https://studentblogs.le.ac.uk

Normally it looks like this

www.telegraph.co.uk, www.nytimes.com

Last edited by muppet; Nov 22, 2020 at 8:57 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions