HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 12:39 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I think the area between the Pig & Pearl and downtown will be the higher growth area in the coming years. The added population in the area combined with the seemingly readily available parcels on which to build will play a significant role.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-98.4936282
That area is River North. Hottest urban area development wise.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 8:31 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
That area is River North. Hottest urban area development wise.
Anybody in SA want to take the occasional photo? I've been asking for a skyline shot for months (on a few different threads). Please?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 2:51 PM

The only thing you can really see that’s new in river north are credit human towers and Soto is now coming up.

There is a lot planned/announced that hasn’t really kicked off yet.

Quote:
Anybody in SA want to take the occasional photo? I've been asking for a skyline shot for months (on a few different threads). Please?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
The only thing you can really see that’s new in river north are credit human towers and Soto is now coming up.

There is a lot planned/announced that hasn’t really kicked off yet.
A photo or three for those who can't see it in person would be appreciated.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
A photo or three for those who can't see it in person would be appreciated.
Of the star storage site where this building is going?

Happy to take a pic, just not sure what you’re looking for.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
Of the star storage site where this building is going?

Happy to take a pic, just not sure what you’re looking for.
Ha! I'd like to see shots of construction in the general River North area, including the Pig & Pearl and the area between USAA and SAMA. It's been a while since anyone has posted photos from this area. On a related note, it would also be nice to see a shot of the whole downtown skyline from a couple miles away so I (and others who are out of town) can see the effect the new buildings like Thompson and Hilton Canopy have on the skyline when seen from a distance. One of my favorite vantage points of downtown is looking down 281 from the parking lot of Alamo Stadium.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4618...7i16384!8i8192

Or maybe from a really dangerous spot in the middle of traffic on the access ramp.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4612...7i13312!8i6656

Thanks if you can do it. Thanks for even thinking of doing it.

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; Nov 11, 2019 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:35 AM

Posted in general urban development thread

Quote:
Ha! I'd like to see shots of construction in the general River North area, including the Pig & Pearl and the area between USAA and SAMA. It's been a while since anyone has posted photos from this area. On a related note, it would also be nice to see a shot of the whole downtown skyline from a couple miles away so I (and others who are out of town) can see the effect the new buildings like Thompson and Hilton Canopy have on the skyline when seen from a distance. One of my favorite vantage points of downtown is looking down 281 from the parking lot of Alamo Stadium.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4618...7i16384!8i8192

Or maybe from a really dangerous spot in the middle of traffic on the access ramp.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4612...7i13312!8i6656

Thanks if you can do it. Thanks for even thinking of doing it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 9:46 PM
James

Borden Park apartments

Quote:
Developers received final approval from the San Antonio Historic and Design Review Commission to build a six-story apartment complex as part of a $100 million investment near Pearl.

Local developers Embrey Partners and Area Real Estate plan to transform the site of a former creamery and self-storage facility at 815 E. Ashby Place into a mixed-use development called Borden Park. Construction on the 5.1-acre site is planned for July with completion by July 2023, according to documents submitted to the City Council for its Oct. 3 meeting.

Current plans submitted to the HDRC and City Council show the 70,000-square-foot former Borden milk creamery being redeveloped into office and retail, while the SmartStop Self Storage will be demolished and replaced with about 338 multifamily units. A separate approval is required for the redevelopment of the dairy building.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:21 PM

Another development that I'm excited to see come to fruition. 281 south is a great drive once you hit the Quarry. Travelling through the top of the tree canopy in Olmos Basin is unique and those curves as you make your way to the interchanges gives several great and varied views of uptown/downtown.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 4:23 AM
James

Exclusive: $100 million project aims to be San Antonio’s new ‘front door’

By Mitchell Parton – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Apr 10, 2020, 1:19pm CDT Updated Apr 15, 2020, 8:38am CDT

The typical drive from the airport to downtown San Antonio will soon to change forever once the vision of local developers comes to fruition.

San Antonio-based Embrey Partners Ltd. secured financing of an undisclosed amount with Wells Fargo Bank April 3 to build a 338-unit apartment complex along Route 281, according to a deed of trust filed with Bexar County.

The Borden Park apartment project at 815 East Ashby St., to be built on what is currently a self-storage facility, is part of the revitalization of the adjacent former Borden Creamery property.

The property had been on the eyes of local investors from some time, Jimmy McCloskey, executive vice president for development for Embrey, told the Business Journal.

Embrey finally acquired the property late 2019 after more than a year of talks with the storage facility’s owners. Serving both as a developer and general contractor, the company saw an opportunity to revitalize a property with high visibility, given its close proximity to the highway, Pearl and the St. Mary’s strip.

“To me, it really is the front door of the city,” McCloskey said. “It is what you see before even getting to the Pearl district. As you are driving to downtown from the airport, you pass this, and it’s kind of an eyesore.”

Area Real Estate, led by local developer David Adelman, will redevelop the former dairy plant built in 1929 into a 60,000-square-foot office and retail space. Adelman’s firm recently completed the ’68 near Hemisfair downtown and is known for other historic renovations such as the Maverick Apartments and the Burns Building downtown.

“In my opinion, no one does it better in terms of revitalizing old buildings and historical structures,” McCloskey said. “It was a natural call to reach out to him.”

As for the apartment complex, McCloskey said the design will incorporate features of the Borden building’s art deco architecture.

“We wanted to take some of those elements to our building but with a contemporary look as well,” he said. “We wanted it to have some freshness to it. I think we really hit that.”

McCloskey said the apartments will be geared toward young professionals working in offices around Pearl or on Broadway Street.

The total development cost for the project, including both the apartments and the office/retail project is estimated to be $100 million, according to a San Antonio City Council ordinance passed Oct. 3 in which the city agreed to contribute $4 million to support the river and trail improvements surrounding the project.

Both developments received approval from the Historic and Design Review Commission in February and March.

Construction on the apartment complex portion of the site is scheduled to begin in July, with completion estimated for July 2023.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:02 AM
Meh

FAA permit for the crane - 180 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...1038450&row=18

This lists the building as an "8-story building" - but what I think they mean is that it'll be 80 feet tall.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:35 AM

There was a construction permit in August to start the garage on the Bordon project!
This development will look stunning coming south on 281 heading into downtown!!!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 7:22 PM

Crane Up!!

The crane is up or going up for this project, from what I can tell from my residential building.

Anyone have any pics to share?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 9:33 PM

This was from Monday when it was still being put together. The crane is now complete.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 3:06 PM

Grabbed a couple of picture of this project when I was downtown. It is really starting to take shape.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 11:00 PM

This project looks massive and impressive coming into downtown on 281South!!! Who needs a high rise!!!!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:13 AM

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 2:41 PM

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 3:54 PM
JACKinBeantown

That's pretty nice 4-over-2 construction.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio