HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Millennium Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Boston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 5:09 AM
Here we stAy

Great news. Didn't know this site's story when I visited last spring, but glad to see it could have a happy ending.

So could full approvals happen by the end of summer or sooner?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
New Yorker for life

http://retailtrafficmag.com/developm...nium_02092012/

Downtown Crossing Project Gets New Developer in Millennium Partners

Feb 9, 2012
By Elaine Misonzhnik

Quote:

Officials with Millennium declined to comment on their plans for Downtown Crossing, citing the fact that they have yet to go through the design and permitting process with the BRA. But people familiar with the site say they expect the firm to slightly alter Vornado’s project. When Downtown Crossing was first conceived, Vornado planned to include 297,000 sq. ft. of retail, 500,000 sq. ft. of office space, 136 residential condos and a 225,000-sq.-ft. hotel in the approximately 1.2-million-sq.-ft. development.

According to the BRA, that plan will be used as a starting point by Millennium. But given current market dynamics, the new developer might put in more residential space and cut down on office space, according to Mark Weld, managing director and head of the New England headquarters with Clarion Partners, a real estate investment management firm. Clarion owns 101 Arch Street, a building adjacent to One Franklin Street.

By the fourth quarter of 2011, the vacancy rate for office properties in Boston stood at 13.5 percent, according to Marcus & Millichap Real Estate Investment Services. Effective office rents averaged approximately $30.12 per sq. ft. On the other hand, Marcus & Millichap expects that the average vacancy rate for Boston apartments will reach a 10-year low of 3.5 percent in 2012. Effective rents will likely go up 5.8 percent, to $1,802 per sq. ft.

As a result, the new tower will likely be devoted primarily to rental units, with the option to convert to condominiums, according to Motley. “To a lot of renters that would be a very appealing element of the project,” he says.

Last year, Boston also saw a record low level of new retail construction, at 500,000 sq. ft. That helped bring retail vacancy down to about 6.1 percent and rents up to approximately $19.26 per sq. ft. In recent months, Target has considered opening a small format store at the Downtown Crossing site.

Millennium Partners has already secured Handel Architects to redesign the project and hopes to start construction by February of 2013. Whether the firm will be able to make that date will depend on how fast it can get financing for the various components of the new Downtown Crossing, according to Weld.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 4:20 AM

^This thing seems to have a lot of promise.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 6:32 PM

I hope this project will be the good one! A new 600ft. tower would change Boston's skyline in a such great way. Can't wait to see a rendering!

Off topic: Have you got snow in Boston this winter? I heard there hasn't been much snowfalls!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Isn't Handel the architect?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Isn't Handel the architect?
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...FWM/story.html

The new building by Millennium will be designed by architect Gary Handel, who also drafted plans for the Hayward Place building. His firm, Handel Architects LLP of New York, has designed skyscrapers around the globe, including the Aire residential building, a striking 42-story on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, the Four Seasons Hotel in Miami, and The Trump Soho Hotel in New York.

^^Not much snow this year. Only snow i can think of is the storm in October and a few flurries on Christmas, but thats about it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabypoux View Post
Off topic: Have you got snow in Boston this winter? I heard there hasn't been much snowfalls!
No. we haven't. In fact, we are in danger of setting a new record for least amount of snowfall this winter.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post

^^Not much snow this year. Only snow i can think of is the storm in October and a few flurries on Christmas, but thats about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfastx
No. we haven't. In fact, we are in danger of setting a new record for least amount of snowfall this winter.
Whoa! That must be bad... A Boston winter without snow... Thanks!

Glad to have moved in Los Angeles!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
New Yorker for life

http://blogs.bostonmagazine.com/bost...-and-shouldas/

Filene’s: The Couldas and Shouldas
With the benefit of hindsight, ousted local developer John Hynes shares his thoughts.

BY Jason Schwartz
2/13/2012

Quote:
Millennium Partners, another New York outfit, will take the lead, with plans to build a 600 foot, $500 million tower, complete with apartments, office space, and retail. This is great news! The irony, of course, is if that building existed today, it would kill. Demand for apartments has never been greater in Boston and the office space market is going well, too. If Vornado had the foresight to invest in something like this a few years ago, they’d be making a killing right now, instead of being forced to compete with the gobs of other residential buildings now going up around the city.

None of that is lost on local developer John Hynes, who was Vornado’s man on the ground here in Boston on the original project, essentially quarterbacking the thing and helping conceive the design for One Franklin, the tower Vornado had intended to build before the market collapsed in 2008 and work stopped. Hynes, CEO and managing partner at Boston Global Investors, says that ever since the initial failure, he had worked to come up with alternatives, all the way up until two days before the Millennium deal was announced. That’s when he got the call from JP Morgan (previously a minority investor on the project) telling him he was out.

“I wanted Vornado and JP Morgan to do that three years ago when the office market dried up and the residential market started to respond,” he says, referring to the new building concept. “We actually had proposed several residential [buildings], but they weren’t ready to do it and they didn’t want to do it with us with their own money.”

“I think the quote we used in our meetings was, ‘Look you’ll be the only girls at the dance, you’re going to get your dances,’ and it fell on deaf ears. And I’m not pointing fingers at Vornado or JP Morgan — nobody wanted to do it, nobody bought that belief. Now, of course, everybody’s jumping into the pool,” Hynes says.

Even in the depths of the recession, Hynes believes, you could tell that demand for apartments in Boston was high. There are always tons of people flooding into the city, and with fewer people buying homes, more people were leasing, putting added pressure on the rental market. Of course, that’s all hindsight now.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 10:28 PM

New design has just been unveiled, here's the link http://www.boston.com/businessupdate...ll_Local_Links

606'

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 10:50 PM
JayCortese

Last edited by JayCortese; Sep 8, 2019 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 11:29 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about it, I guess it's just not what I expected but it's not too bad.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 11:45 PM
Sonoma Strong

Looks good

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 12:21 AM

This building would tie One International Place as Boston's 5th tallest building.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
New design has just been unveiled, here's the link http://www.boston.com/businessupdate...ll_Local_Links

606'
It's great!!!

IMO, Boston lacks of glass towers (even if the tallest tower is made of glass), so I'm glad to see this rendering!

Good luck Boston! So Filene's won't get back 6-feet under the ground for a second time.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 1:03 AM

It's good looking. Will work well with the John Hancock.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 1:18 AM
Meh

Quote:
Well now that's a skinny building. This tower will be, too. I'm always blown away by Boston's core.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
This building would tie One International Place as Boston's 5th tallest building.
One IP is 600'. One Boston Place is 601'. This building would slot itself as the 4th tallest in the city, except that the Copley Place tower is supposed to start this fall and be taller (626'). If these are all built, One IP would slide into 7th place. Also, I think Boston would finally reassert itself as a top 10 American skyline.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 3:02 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well now that's a skinny building. This tower will be, too. I'm always blown away by Boston's core.
Er, that's actually just the facade left from the previous building, facadectomy style.

I like the design loads better than the previous one.

Although

Quote:
The new design still needs approvals from the Boston Redevelopment Authority.
There goes the top 200 feet...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 3:26 AM

I think Boston needs a dominating building that would be 1,000+ feet tall. That would give it a bigger identity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive