HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 6:15 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA: Hotel/Condo Mixed-Use Planned for River North

Developer jump-starts River North

Web Posted: 10/04/2007 08:17 PM CDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...7.2a68e8e.html

Creighton A. Welch
Express-News Business Writer

The master plans have yet to be approved for the River North development in downtown San Antonio, but there's already one project under way, scheduled to break ground in early 2008.

A mixed-use development currently is being designed on 1.35 acres of land at 103 W. 9th Street — the intersection at St. Mary's Street across from Providence High School. The plan is for a 126-room hotel, 24 condominium units and one restaurant, according to architect Andrés Andújar, head of the San Antonio office of Parsons 3D/I and the designer for this new project.

None of the establishments or plan details have been announced.

Tim Sanford, principal with Paradigm Group LLP, the developer for the project, said he's not ready to divulge plans for the development, but expects to be finished with them in December.

"I'm going to do something very pleasing for the city and downtown," Sanford said.

Andújar first proposed the redevelopment idea of River North more than two years ago.

"This is the gateway project for River North," he said in a phone interview. "I think it will be the first project to break ground in River North."

On June 25, the deed for that land was granted to Paradigm Hotel SA River Walk LLPfrom Alamo River Partners LTD, according to records filed with the Bexar County Clerk's Office. The land is valued at $892,140, according to Bexar County Appraisal District records.

Andújar said he did not want to speculate on the cost of the project since it is so early in the process.

The River North plan, which is being drafted and will be presented to the City Council in early 2008, proposes a shift northward of the St. Mary's and 9th Street intersection.

Were this to happen, another parcel of contiguous land could become available for the mixed-use project.

On Tuesday, the Zoning Commission approved changing the lot from industrial use to downtown use within the river improvement project's zoning designations. Now it will go before the City Council on Oct. 18.

The block is part of the RIO-2 zoning district, which hopes to increase density, neighborhood use and tourism in the area.

Andújar said the Historic Design and Review Commission also has approved the design.

River North is a long-term project its designers hope will infuse the area north of downtown with residential and commercial spaces, including many mixed-use projects.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 6:23 AM

What would be a good estimate on how tall a 126 room hotel with 24condominium units and a restaurant on 1.35 acres of land?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 6:39 AM

My guess, 7-10 stories.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A. View Post
What would be a good estimate on how tall a 126 room hotel with 24condominium units and a restaurant on 1.35 acres of land?
Well not a skyscraper...prolly comin in at 6 floors..

I saw a news report on river north on woai i think...it showed a lot of renders...no tall buildings...everything was around 5 stories.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:51 AM

I'm not so sure if I want skyscrapers in the River North area anyway...then DT would have 3 skyscraper groups lol

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:34 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

The plans that you saw were hypothetical...I believe Andres was the one that stated that. Hypothetical meaning the buildings in the plans are just there for examples....not to show height.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 8:51 AM

From what I understand, there is no height restriction in River North, yet. Although the masterplan is still being worked on.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:39 PM

24 condos can easily take up 5 to 6 floors alone. 126 hotel rooms is min. of 4floors especially with a pool and restaurant. What about parking and green space? I put this at 9-10 floors.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 5:35 PM

The renderings for this area just give an idea of how the area could develop. All those drawings do not represent actual projects. Although, I would not be surprised if there were some actual proposals included in there since it was a given that there would eventually be development interest in this area with the expansion of the Riverwalk. Here is the site:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=103+9t...&t=h&z=17&om=1

By the size of the site and with the amount of riverside property, I would expect the building to be 6 to 7 floors. It would be worth checking the renderings at this site in particular to see what is there.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
The plans that you saw were hypothetical...I believe Andres was the one that stated that. Hypothetical meaning the buildings in the plans are just there for examples....not to show height.

They interviewed someone who had something to do with the whole project, and said they want to keep things...short...without basically saying it like that. I am pretty bummed because i thought this would be a good chance to get a couple of more scrapers up atleast a couple in the 20 story range

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:10 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Somehow I don't think that person really knew what they were talking about....bc you can't develop a piece of land for high density residential/retail/office and want to keep things "short". That just makes no sense, although it doesn't surprise me that someone from SA would say that...there just seems to be a mindset of shortness in SA....just doesn't make any sense to me. I don't understand why SA leaders don't look at the other three major Texas cities and see how much their downtowns are thriving and growing and not want to change what they are doing about SA's downtown. Ive said it before and Ill say it again....SA has SOOO much built up potential to really have awesome high density in its inner core. They have the land, the resourses and the population, but until SA gets leaders that want to focus on downtown and not pushing their corporate companies to build outside 1604 (a la Tesoro, Valero etc), we aren't going to see a big push for CBD living in SA like we see in Dallas and Austin.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Somehow I don't think that person really knew what they were talking about....bc you can't develop a piece of land for high density residential/retail/office and want to keep things "short". That just makes no sense, although it doesn't surprise me that someone from SA would say that...there just seems to be a mindset of shortness in SA....just doesn't make any sense to me. I don't understand why SA leaders don't look at the other three major Texas cities and see how much their downtowns are thriving and growing and not want to change what they are doing about SA's downtown. Ive said it before and Ill say it again....SA has SOOO much built up potential to really have awesome high density in its inner core. They have the land, the resourses and the population, but until SA gets leaders that want to focus on downtown and not pushing their corporate companies to build outside 1604 (a la Tesoro, Valero etc), we aren't going to see a big push for CBD living in SA like we see in Dallas and Austin.
Valero acquired their campus when they merged with Diamond Shamrock. That was an obvious move for them since that location fit their needs and allowed them to expand as well.

I would agree that Tesoro was a lost oppurtunity.

If there is demand, the density will create itself because while downtown has the room and potential, it is still limited. I think there is so much room to move closer to the core without actually moving into downtown (like the Broadway corridor) that it will be many years before any taller structures are built. This is a good start.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:50 PM

Here's the River North conceptual drawing:

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:20 PM

it's a shame that the city won't allow tall condos along the river as to allow more people to enjoy what this city has to offer

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
it's a shame that the city won't allow tall condos along the river as to allow more people to enjoy what this city has to offer
It is...i don't know why they keep trying to make our downtown like a suburban downtown..

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 1:04 AM

1.3 acres is really small for how much they want to put there.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 2:00 AM
Meh

Not sure about the height, I'm kind of surprised you guys are estimating it so low. I would think it could easily be 10 floors tall, maybe 15. One acre isn't much land.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 5:14 AM

Sorry guys, I just found this conversation. I can tell you that this site has three uses: the hotel, a restaurant and the condos. The restaurant is partly under the hotel and adjacent to the main lobby. Second floor has meeting and living rooms, pool, spa, gym and elevated courtyard. Above the second floor are three room floors for a total of five levels and 75 feet on the hotel side, which fronts Ninth Street.

The condo is four stories tall and fronts the River. If someone can send me an email I'll send you a preliminary rendering of the condo for posting.

Rio 2 is the overlay that covers part of River North. It dictates a maximum height of 120 feet. Additionally, buidlings can be held shorter based on the Shade and Shadow effect. This rule basically assures that there is 5.5 hours of direct sun on the Riverwalk on Dec 21 (winter solstice) and 7.5 hours on June 21 (summer solstice).

The master plan currently under development will suggest that structures higher than 120 fee make sense in certain areas of River North - including on the River shore.

It will be great fun to see River North develop over time. By the time the River is complete in this Museum Reach (May 2009), we will likely see up to $200 million of private sector construction in the area.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 5:31 AM

Andres, check your PM box.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 4:56 PM
Meh

Ha, well I was off. 75 feet. Still, 120 foot limits isn't all that bad for the area. And I expect some projects that sit a ways away from the river, or that are designed to decrease shadow, could go taller if the developer asks for a variance.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio