HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:06 PM
deeger deeger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 101
SAN ANTONIO | The '68 | 8 FLOORS | U/C

I know this project is associated with Hemisfair Civic Park but I thought it deserved it's own thread now.

Initial reports said the eight-story, 150-unit, 1.1-acre complex will include 3,200 square feet of restaurant space on the ground floor and a parking garage with 238 public parking spaces.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:08 PM
deeger deeger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 101
Pics from 2/13/18:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:12 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
counting electric sheep
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 48,794
That copula reminds me of the Casino Club Building's top. Nice project.
__________________
Smoke marijuana, not Americans.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:28 PM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 748
I love it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:05 AM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,398
Hard to get a good idea what it will look like, but it doesn't look boring. Plus it has retail, so I like it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 11:30 PM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 469
Love the design! It will look great in the area!
Does anyone know what the nighttime pic that seems to shows different color lights is all about? It looks cool!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 2:43 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,211
They finally started work on the second floor last week. Of either the garage or the restaurant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 2:34 AM
babysal's Avatar
babysal babysal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 115
Bird Scooter Tour 6/23

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 8:59 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,398
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:11 AM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,211
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:41 PM
Txdev Txdev is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 122
Nice pics

I’m told the pre cast garage slabs will come in next, and attach to the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 9:55 PM
PDG91's Avatar
PDG91 PDG91 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 102
Well, this is kind of a forgotten project, but the project is close to completion. Here's an article from the rivard report that has some pictures of the apartments and other info:

https://therivardreport.com/the-68-a...er-to-opening/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 2:53 AM
Restless One Restless One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
Well, this is kind of a forgotten project, but the project is close to completion. Here's an article from the rivard report that has some pictures of the apartments and other info:

https://therivardreport.com/the-68-a...er-to-opening/
Not enthralled with the interior shot in the article, but the exterior seems fine to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 6:25 PM
micahinsa micahinsa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Not enthralled with the interior shot in the article, but the exterior seems fine to me.

Seriously. This kitchen and those fugly blinds?

This is the best they can do for a brand new development in the middle of the urban core?

The worst part is that this is what they actually allowed to be shot for promotional purposes. Like they *want* people to see this. They think this is impressive. Yikes.





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 7:17 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 621
But IT IS impressive... For 2006. Those appliances and the design... Looks like my first apartment in San Antonio during my college years, which was 2005-2006. Nothing special at all. And the window? This is being used to promote the area? Kind of sad.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 12:34 AM
micahinsa micahinsa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
But IT IS impressive... For 2006. Those appliances and the design... Looks like my first apartment in San Antonio during my college years, which was 2005-2006. Nothing special at all. And the window? This is being used to promote the area? Kind of sad.
It's really embarrassing. And yeah that window is utter crap. The blinds are just the depressing cherry on top.

Oh and congrats, you get a lovely view of the walled hotels section of downtown. Makes you feel like you're on the outskirts of an eastern european city where they erected all those fugly apartment blocks under communism:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 1:12 AM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
It's really embarrassing. And yeah that window is utter crap. The blinds are just the depressing cherry on top.

Oh and congrats, you get a lovely view of the walled hotels section of downtown. Makes you feel like you're on the outskirts of an eastern european city where they erected all those fugly apartment blocks under communism:

G-- dammit! Where's the like button?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 2:51 AM
Hindentanic Hindentanic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 51
Coincidentally, I had just watched an old video on a renovated micro apartment: Tiny Origami apartment in Manhattan unfolds into 4 rooms. It's Manhattan, so the space is small and the prices are crazy, but what won me over were the windows. These were not merely cutout holes in a wall, but were defined by the architecture of the building, and in turn defined the room. I know Hemisfair is definitely not the Upper West Side of Manhattan, but the "architecture" of the room actually wasn't necessarily more high-end or especially elaborate as it was just a narrow, rectangular, 1-room efficiency space, not much greater than many dorm rooms. If only my dorm room had this:


(Photo by Rayon Richards on TimeOut New York)


(Photo by Alan Tansey on shoebox dwelling)

$235,000 for 450 sq. ft. and still having to hang a window AC unit over the view of the back alley while also folding your bed down into the "living room," but that little corner set of operable windows no bigger than my breakfast nook is beautiful. Hehe, they're even still using plain blinds. I know the renovation project was really about the big blue space organizing cabinet, but it was the windows that made this place livable. Even in its pre-renovation, used-and-grimy state, it offered so much warm potential.

In many quantitative ways the rooms of The '68 are superior in construction, technology, materials, size, amenity, and affordability, but time and circumstances have created design philosophies that are so strikingly different. Maybe in 90 years it will get a comparable renovation and we will shell out a quarter million to marvel at its historic windows.


(Photo by Stephanie Marquez on the Rivard Report)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 4:55 AM
Rynetwo Rynetwo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindentanic View Post
Coincidentally, I had just watched an old video on a renovated micro apartment: Tiny Origami apartment in Manhattan unfolds into 4 rooms. It's Manhattan, so the space is small and the prices are crazy, but what won me over were the windows. These were not merely cutout holes in a wall, but were defined by the architecture of the building, and in turn defined the room. I know Hemisfair is definitely not the Upper West Side of Manhattan, but the "architecture" of the room actually wasn't necessarily more high-end or especially elaborate as it was just a narrow, rectangular, 1-room efficiency space, not much greater than many dorm rooms. If only my dorm room had this:


(Photo by Rayon Richards on TimeOut New York)


(Photo by Alan Tansey on shoebox dwelling)

$235,000 for 450 sq. ft. and still having to hang a window AC unit over the view of the back alley while also folding your bed down into the "living room," but that little corner set of operable windows no bigger than my breakfast nook is beautiful. Hehe, they're even still using plain blinds. I know the renovation project was really about the big blue space organizing cabinet, but it was the windows that made this place livable. Even in its pre-renovation, used-and-grimy state, it offered so much warm potential.

In many quantitative ways the rooms of The '68 are superior in construction, technology, materials, size, amenity, and affordability, but time and circumstances have created design philosophies that are so strikingly different. Maybe in 90 years it will get a comparable renovation and we will shell out a quarter million to marvel at its historic windows.


(Photo by Stephanie Marquez on the Rivard Report)
Very keen analysis. This building is a catalyst not a monument.

Keep in mind this is an open Internet forum ripe for all of us Monday morning quarterback’s with a ton of free capital to add 100 feet to each ill conceived building design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 7:49 PM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindentanic View Post
Coincidentally, I had just watched an old video on a renovated micro apartment: Tiny Origami apartment in Manhattan unfolds into 4 rooms. It's Manhattan, so the space is small and the prices are crazy, but what won me over were the windows. These were not merely cutout holes in a wall, but were defined by the architecture of the building, and in turn defined the room. I know Hemisfair is definitely not the Upper West Side of Manhattan, but the "architecture" of the room actually wasn't necessarily more high-end or especially elaborate as it was just a narrow, rectangular, 1-room efficiency space, not much greater than many dorm rooms. If only my dorm room had this:


(Photo by Rayon Richards on TimeOut New York)


(Photo by Alan Tansey on shoebox dwelling)

$235,000 for 450 sq. ft. and still having to hang a window AC unit over the view of the back alley while also folding your bed down into the "living room," but that little corner set of operable windows no bigger than my breakfast nook is beautiful. Hehe, they're even still using plain blinds. I know the renovation project was really about the big blue space organizing cabinet, but it was the windows that made this place livable. Even in its pre-renovation, used-and-grimy state, it offered so much warm potential.

In many quantitative ways the rooms of The '68 are superior in construction, technology, materials, size, amenity, and affordability, but time and circumstances have created design philosophies that are so strikingly different. Maybe in 90 years it will get a comparable renovation and we will shell out a quarter million to marvel at its historic windows.


(Photo by Stephanie Marquez on the Rivard Report)
Finally somebody with brains......
and thank you for making a VERY good point!!!

Money goes a LONG way here in beautiful, historical, and unique San Antonio!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:42 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.