HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:09 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA - La Joya - Massive New Urbanism with 5-6 Highrises

I was torn on making a new thread for this but I felt it was too big not to. This is the Regal Hill project I posted about before but with renderings.

Description:

Quote:
La Joya

The 300-acre La Joya mixed-use project is currently under development in the burgeoning northwestern suburbs of Greater San Antonio. The commercial, office & residential community is planned as an intimate, human-scale neighbourhood with high-end and specialty retail and entertainment facilities. Outdoor dining, green spaces and wide sidewalks characterize the project’s urban design, while on-site public amenities include a theatre, school and programmable public square that will also animate the development. Residential components include urban lofts, luxury condos and elegant townhomes designed as rowhouses.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; May 19, 2007 at 5:48 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:11 AM
Bears of antiquity

Anyone notice that a lot of these new developments are modeled after a lot of TODs in other cities?

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Anyone notice that a lot of these new developments are modeled after a lot of TODs in other cities?
There is a rail line at the eastern edge of this development. However, it's just a frieght line right now maybe and hopefully a future light rail line.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:28 AM

Any guesses as to what type of high-end stores would go in? With The Shops at La Cantera and The Village at The Rim (to some extent) both across the freeway from this it would seem that area is already at fill with highend. Maybe not, depending on the prices of the homes, condos, and townhomes they could be bringing in some high income clientele.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:29 AM
Bears of antiquity

I need more info on a lot of these areas, they'd be good for my light rail ideas.

Hmmm, I will research. If you have maps, that'd be awesome

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:30 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Any guesses as to what type of high-end stores would go in? With The Shops at La Cantera and The Village at The Rim (to some extent) both across the freeway from this it would seem that area is already at fill with highend. Maybe not, depending on the prices of the homes, condos, and townhomes they could be bringing in some high income clientele.
I'll take a stab and imagine that cheesecake factory and rainforest cafe are going to be there, just based on the design of that sketchy drawing.

Have we got H&M or Cartier yet?

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:34 AM

Quote:
I'll take a stab and imagine that cheesecake factory and rainforest cafe are going to be there, just based on the design of that sketchy drawing.

Have we got H&M or Cartier yet?
H&M is going in at The Village at The Rim.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:36 AM

This is the site layout of the entire development.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:50 AM

Quote:
I'm not following?

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 5:23 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

Even though its not considered "high end" ... rumor has had it for a while that IKEA has had its eyes on this area of town....If there were any development on this side of town that I would pinpoint for an IKEA, it would probably be this one.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 5:25 AM

I'd think the highend reail would go into the "Town Center" part of the design.

And something like IKEA (maybe the big building mid-center left in the third rendering) in the retail center portion of the development which looks to be at center left. I wonder why they left the botton left blank?

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; May 18, 2007 at 6:06 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 7:31 PM

Well ikea isn't comin..im just confused where are the highrises? The only highrises i knew about was on a site plan that saytownboy posted here like 6 months ago, which showed 2 20-22 story condo towers..How tall are these 5-6 highrises supposed to be?

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 10:45 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
Well ikea isn't comin..im just confused where are the highrises? The only highrises i knew about was on a site plan that saytownboy posted here like 6 months ago, which showed 2 20-22 story condo towers..How tall are these 5-6 highrises supposed to be?
It's hard to tell, I think these renderings are a bit conceptual at this point. It's hard to judge the scale, but I'd guess the 4 tallest buildings there look to be atleast 200 feet, with the tallest being around 250 or so.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Well ikea isn't comin..
Do you have an article stating this? I read an article that said they are planning on building one here.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 5:50 AM

I do not think the renderings of the buildings in the third picture are an absolute of how tall they will be or how they will look (hopefully they will be glass). I do think they are there to show that highrise buildings wiull be placed there, but that the final design for them is not finialized yet.

Who knows, maybe we will get a new tallest outside of downtown?

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 7:07 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
I'm not following?
The weird domed building in the black and white street scene sketch looks like a cheesecake factory dome

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 7:41 AM

You know, with all this development at the I-10/1604 interchange I was wondering if any of you guys remember what the area used to be called before San Antonio reached out that far. Old maps I have of S.A. show a town (or neighborhood?) called Beckman, which I guess predated the big quarry which is now "The Rim." This was not that long ago apparently--my Mom remembers Beckman as the community that was on the way to Leon Springs from NW SA. Now it seems there is no gap between SA and Leon Springs, and the little town of Beckman has disappeared. Sorry, o/t, but interesting.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Do you have an article stating this? I read an article that said they are planning on building one here.
It's just been "talk" around the boards for a while. Basically a toss up between rr and sa.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
It's just been "talk" around the boards for a while. Basically a toss up between rr and sa.
Actually quite contrary. I remember reading an article that stated a city between the two markets was not choosen as the lone IKEA site because they wanted to build in both areas. After searching google, I found that same article posted here.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=262
Quote:

IKEA: City holds hope, but it's fading
By BRAD ROLLINS - Staff Reporter
Posted: Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 - 12:13:25 pm CDT

City leaders still hold out a inkling of hope that IKEA could choose San Marcos as its Central Texas home, but important indicators seem to suggest that the Swedish furniture giant has passed on the city.

For months, officials have courted the company with the argument that building its 260,000 to 350,000 square foot superstore here would put it within easy driving distance of both the Austin and San Antonio markets. Site selectors scouted available land along IH-35 and officials met with executives on more than one occasion.

But Mayor Susan Narvaiz, who says she last spoke to someone from IKEA in June, thinks the company has made it clear that it's likely to build in Round Rock and San Antonio.

"They continued talking to us because we were creative and offered them a way to think outside the box and consider us," the mayor said. "In the end, they kept going back to what their norm is. Their own formula seems to be an equation that we don't really fit."

IKEA typically builds within 45 minutes driving time of 1.5 million people. The Austin area's population is about 1.2 million; San Antonio's is about 1.6 million.
That SA number would now be 2 million.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 12:33 AM

Also, it seems Matthew McConaughey is part of the ownership group developing La Joya. For whatever that is worth.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio