HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 3:18 PM
Paradise

I like it. I hope it eventually gets built.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 6:28 PM

This has to happen!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:47 AM

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:40 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadsalmon View Post

Saw this coming. Sadly and wish it wasn't happening. But I feel something better will come along. He didn't even start the townhomes that he's been promoting south of downtown.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 9:18 PM

SA Express News- 11/27/19
Essex Modern City and boutique hotel

California investment firm Harris Bay is planning two projects around downtown: a $150 million mixed-use project at Essex and South Cherry, dubbed Essex Modern City, and a 112-room hotel on Travis.

Essex Modern City could include office space, retail, apartments, condominiums, townhomes and a food hall, but progress has been held up by efforts to have the area designated as a quiet zone, Harris Bay co-founder Jake Harris said previously. Local developer Efraim Varga ended his involvement in the project earlier this year.

In the meantime, Harris Bay has been hosting events at the property, which is decorated with colorful murals.

The firm has also proposed building a boutique hotel on a 0.2-acre lot it bought this spring and will likely benefit from the property’s location within a federal opportunity zone. Harris previously said the firm was in talks with companies to manage and operate the hotel.

He didn’t respond to inquiries about both projects.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 10:28 PM

Any update on this project? Seems the last I heard, they were waiting to get a permit for the train noise (residential purposes).

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 11:30 PM
James

Quote:
Essex Modern City has been in the works for more than three years and has secured nearly all permits needed to break ground, except for a much-needed quiet zone designation. As the development is within Carolina and Essex streets between South Cherry Street and nearby train tracks, a quiet zone designation would prevent passing trains from sounding their horns at the nearby crossing. The Federal Railroad Administration is in charge of granting such quiet zone designations and has yet to do so for Essex. Harris said he submitted the necessary forms in April 2017.

- https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...away-from.html
I think that's all they are waiting on. I live roughly in this area and the trains still blast their horns.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I think that's all they are waiting on. I live roughly in this area and the trains still blast their horns.
Appreciate the insight. I live around the area too and wondering to sell and move elsewhere or wait. I'm about 6 blocks from the area.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:10 AM
James

Essex Modern City secures $3.5M loan for development efforts

Quote:
Essex Modern City, a long-proposed mixed-use development on the East Side near downtown, is one step closer to seeing construction on site.

Kennedy Funding, a direct private lender based in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, said Thursday in a news release that it closed a $3.5 million loan to Essex Modern City LLC, an entity tied to development group Harris Bay.

The development team will use the loan proceeds to cash out the current loan, advance the planning and engineering stage of the site and complete quiet zone construction in partnership with the city of San Antonio and the Union Pacific Railroad Co., according to the lender.

Plans for the proposed 8-acre site at 51 Essex St. call for 80,000 square feet of retail space, 80,000 square feet of commercial office space and approximately 800 residential units of varying sizes, including parking spaces and an open park area, according to the release.

Developer Jake Harris did not respond to multiple requests for comment Thursday.

Kennedy Funding CEO Kevin Wolfer said in the release that the entitlement process is in its final phases and that the developers are working on completing a map of the development.

"All Essex Modern City needed was the funding — everything else was in place," Wolfer said. "Seeing a clear plan for the site and the city's support, we were able to quickly process and approve their loan application."

City officials did not respond to inquiries regarding the status of the quiet zone designation, which the developers have sought since 2017 to prevent passing trains from sounding their horns at the nearby crossing.

That designation requires certain safety improvements such as crossing closures, one-way conversions, quad gates, medians, signs and pavement markings, according to the city's website.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 2:20 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Wow... amazing! I've hoped this would come to fruition. Fantastic development bridging the ATT center with downtown that will undoubtedly spur on more development on the east side.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:45 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Wow... amazing! I've hoped this would come to fruition. Fantastic development bridging the ATT center with downtown that will undoubtedly spur on more development on the east side.
I’m not sure how Essex Modern bridges the att center and downtown. This development is southeast of downtown and nowhere near the att center. Maybe you were thinking of the Merchant Ice House development?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 2:25 PM

Any update on this? Last I heard they were needing train track approval for quiet zone, but someone told me those permits were successful.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio