HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardilimo View Post
I only watched one episode of this program.
Do you have any context for that comment? It's been almost three months since the last post in this thread. Are you stating that you watched the one episode of Impossible Engineering that featured this building?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 8:59 PM
Member since 2001

The Independent was featured on this show months ago...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 9:01 PM
Resident Moron

Well, while this is up here - can we like make them turn their lighting back on at night?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 10:44 PM
Austinite

Installing a fence 700 feet above street level is quite the engineering feat

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 11:10 PM
クラブトクヨ

Why is it so hard to keep skyscrapers lit in Austin?! Dallas seems to shine like Hong Kong with no issues.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Why is it so hard to keep skyscrapers lit in Austin?! Dallas seems to shine like Hong Kong with no issues.
Probably condo HOA's are not all that keen on the added expense and bother involved in providing lighting. Commercial office buildings and hotels have a lot more incentive (brand recognition) to light their buildings, but most of Austin's tallest are apartment towers

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 3:31 AM

LED lighting costs pennies on the dollar. Why the hell bother to build something bold and architecturally significant to the skyline only to disappear at night? They should've just built a tall rectangular glass box and called it a day if they can't/won't spend the HOA's pocket change from 7 and 8 figure units to properly light the damn thing for a few hours at night. Turn it off at 12am, 1am, 2am...

What's going on right now is just an industrial-sized middle finger to anyone who looks up at night. I flat out refuse to believe there isn't a solution that is cost effective, energy efficient, *and* aesthetically pleasing. It's NOT that difficult.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
LED lighting costs pennies on the dollar. Why the hell bother to build something bold and architecturally significant to the skyline only to disappear at night? They should've just built a tall rectangular glass box and called it a day if they can't/won't spend the HOA's pocket change from 7 and 8 figure units to properly light the damn thing for a few hours at night. Turn it off at 12am, 1am, 2am...

What's going on right now is just an industrial-sized middle finger to anyone who looks up at night. I flat out refuse to believe there isn't a solution that is cost effective, energy efficient, *and* aesthetically pleasing. It's NOT that difficult.
Couldn't agree more. Austin's skyline at night is a total and complete joke.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 6:02 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Couldn't agree more. Austin's skyline at night is a total and complete joke.
Yea I agree too.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 10:47 PM
クラブトクヨ

Yeah and if I am paying a million for a condo and the HOA a grand a month they better put the freaking building lights on. I want to be able to point at night say “i live in that building”

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 11:00 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

It is rather bizarre, unless something has stopped working and requires repair.

As mentioned before any cost of note would have already been incurred. The cost of electricity to run those LED lights is miniscule.

It looked really nice when lit at night, and while I didn't love the look during the day I thought many of the comments I read on here were a bit over the top in their negativity.

With that said, earlier today I was downtown and got a very good look at the crown. I do believe it may be rusting. It looks bad, and the fact these materials were used this should have been anticipated. If I were a resident I would be furious, and as an Austinite seeing this at the top of a very prominent building in the skyline I find unacceptable.

I doubt anything can be done, but whomever made the decision on the crown design and materials should be ashamed.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 11:28 PM

We have multiple posters who live at the Independent. Maybe they can share some info from their HOA about that?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 12:18 AM
Meh

I have a feeling we'll never see it lit again. The owners spent some money on it already and now that it isn't working they have no incentive to fix it. If lit condo towers were high priority or a necessity then they'd all be lit, and that's not true. LEDs are also notoriously unreliable. While the diodes themselves will last a long time, though, some colors have their issues, the power supply to them is sometimes less reliable than the diode "lights" themselves.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
We have multiple posters who live at the Independent. Maybe they can share some info from their HOA about that?
At first I thought it was due to the bird migration stuff. Now, I'm not so sure. I'll hit up our internal Slack channel and let ya'll know what I find out.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
It is rather bizarre, unless something has stopped working and requires repair.

As mentioned before any cost of note would have already been incurred. The cost of electricity to run those LED lights is miniscule.

It looked really nice when lit at night, and while I didn't love the look during the day I thought many of the comments I read on here were a bit over the top in their negativity.

With that said, earlier today I was downtown and got a very good look at the crown. I do believe it may be rusting. It looks bad, and the fact these materials were used this should have been anticipated. If I were a resident I would be furious, and as an Austinite seeing this at the top of a very prominent building in the skyline I find unacceptable.

I doubt anything can be done, but whomever made the decision on the crown design and materials should be ashamed.
I believe you are right about the rusting.
DJI_0887-HDR by Jason Luebbe, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 4:29 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Yep, it did not used to look that way. Unfortunately, at this point the solution would be very expensive. Short of the building owners winning a lawsuit I can't see this ever being rectified.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 4:30 AM
クラブトクヨ

For the love of engineering and design there has to be a better solution for this “crown”.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:07 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Here's a link to a crude rendering of what could have been using the photo Riverranchdrone posted.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H21uauyfA6opc9W66

The idea is the crown would have been glass instead of wire, mesh, or whatever is up there currently.

I made the lower portion the same blue (looks green in this photo to me) as the glass in the rest of the building, and then a white glass up top.

Of course all white, or something else may look better, but I was trying to be a tad creative without anything too wild.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:49 AM
クラブトクヨ

Looks so much better! It should have been glass!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 8:54 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Have yall seen The Gables Park Plaza tower lately? That thing looks horrible at the top. If you ever had the pleasure of sitting at the 5th and Lamar traffic light it sticks out like a sore thumb. Bet they use the same type of materials for the tower going up at 415 Colorado

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin