HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Yep, the 360 cheese grater tower is one of my favorites. And if they light the crown on the Independence, I would bet they just light the box behind the cage.

Hmmm, the lit box behind the fence might make it look interesting??

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:10 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Also, 360 is just timeless. I am of course biased, but damn....slow clap. I recently went to visit the pool area and it really is hands down the best residential pool in Austin, outside of maybe the Four Seasons.
Yeah, 360 is easily one of my favorite new buildings. I might even say it's my favorite new one. That is, if you consider 11 years old to be "new".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Somebody recently posted a photo of the Independent crown lit up at night. It seemed to be the fencing that was lit. But I don't know who or which thread it was posted in. I'm downtown at night four nights a week, and I haven't noticed the crown lit since that photo was posted.
Whoa, who posted it and where? I haven't seen that. I've been looking whenever I have a view of it from around our neighborhood, but no lights yet.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Whoa, who posted it and where? I haven't seen that. I've been looking whenever I have a view of it from around our neighborhood, but no lights yet.
It was a drive by from Cesar Chavez I believe, and it was posted about a month(?) ago. I think it was in context with another discussion which is why it wasn't in the Indy thread. Maybe someone will remember when people start waking up Thursday morning.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 3:27 PM
Love Austin

I lived in 360 for a year and then moved to the Shore--both 1/1s-- back in '08-'10 and have lived in south and east Austin since. I haven't mentioned it here yet as it never seemed real but I've now received my 60-day notice for closing at Indy. I'm on 33 facing north, also in a small 1/1, but that's more than enough for the four of us (two pups).

It's been around a decade since I've lived DT and I can't wait to be back. We have one car right now and plan to sell it once we're moved in. I'm a huge fan of this building may be an outlier but I really like the crown (especially knowing that a lighting element is forthcoming). It's diversity in the skyline and I feel that's a great thing. Things about the building could have been better but that may have priced me out so it's tough to be too critical from my POV.

The main things I feel we can all do to help DT get to the next level are: get a new land development code that allows for responsible land development in all of our highest opportunity areas (instead of fighting to protect single-family/suburban lifestyles from change) and go big on transit in 2020! No reason why we shouldn't be voting on a $5+B transit package that includes building out the Orange line.

Working toward abundant housing goals and better mobility are key!

Either way, exciting times in ATX.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
I've now received my 60-day notice for closing at Indy. I'm on 33 facing north.
So you're not affected by the cabinet finish issue that is holding up many units?

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:45 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
So you're not affected by the cabinet finish issue that is holding up many units?
Correct. I cared more about floor color/finish and it happened to come with a white cabinet.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Correct. I cared more about floor color/finish and it happened to come with a white cabinet.
Lucky
I'm in the 1st tier with the cab issue, still in limbo...

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 7:37 PM

Found the rich folks!

Haha kidding, congrats on your new condos!

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:15 PM
Love Austin

I does cost more than I'd like it to. I'll likely fail the 30% of income or less for housing = living affordably formula. However, I'll do better on what I feel is the true cost of housing formula: Housing + transportation + utilities = 50% of annual income (or below). I'd rather have the higher housing costs and lower transportation/utility costs as the latter is where the stress on the environment and mental health come from not to mention are the best ways to throw $$ away.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
I does cost more than I'd like it to. I'll likely fail the 30% of income or less for housing = living affordably formula. However, I'll do better on what I feel is the true cost of housing formula: Housing + transportation + utilities = 50% of annual income (or below). I'd rather have the higher housing costs and lower transportation/utility costs as the latter is where the stress on the environment and mental health come from not to mention are the best ways to throw $$ away.
100% with you on all of that.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 12:52 PM

Yes, it is ungodly expensive, but if you work downtown the location is hard to beat.
FWIW I expect a glut of units on the market in a year or two as all the speculative buys get listed, so this could be a good chance to grab one of these units at a discount. But I doubt the prices will drop by more than 10-15 %, so still pretty pricey.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is ungodly expensive, but if you work downtown the location is hard to beat.
FWIW I expect a glut of units on the market in a year or two as all the speculative buys get listed, so this could be a good chance to grab one of these units at a discount. But I doubt the prices will drop by more than 10-15 %, so still pretty pricey.
If I wouldn't have to suffer through a reverse commute, I'd strongly consider it.

The other wildcard is the crippling Austin property taxes. Makes it extremely tough to climb the ladder as someone living the solo SINK lifestyle (single income no kids).

Maybe I should just start my own tax exempt church that would meet at my place, hah.

Last edited by zrx299; May 17, 2019 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:56 PM

The crown controversy doesn't seem to negatively affect sales.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
damn....strong! This is such a great sign.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
And yet, if you scroll all the way down to the last picture on that webpage, they have photoshopped the crown.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
And yet, if you scroll all the way down to the last picture on that webpage, they have photoshopped the crown.
Oh yeah, sure, but the point is that all the sales in the last few months happened to people who have seen the actual... thing... on top. We don't know if the tower would have been completely sold out at this point if it weren't for the crown, but clearly enough people liked it or didn't care to keep sales at a brisk pace.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:40 PM

I have made peace with the crown. Most of the time anyway. There are so many interesting viewing perspectives for this building depending on where you happen to me in and around downtown. I no longer pay much attention to the crown.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:56 PM

More or less same here, went through three stages:
1. This is... interesting?
2. God this is fugly!
3. Whatevs

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
damn....strong! This is such a great sign.
Well, the best place to avoid the view of the Independent is IN the Independent.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I have made peace with the crown. Most of the time anyway. There are so many interesting viewing perspectives for this building depending on where you happen to me in and around downtown. I no longer pay much attention to the crown.
I see a great building with a basketball court on top! I can not see the top for anything but, a $$$$ saving, Corporate America profit decision, that the rest of us have to deal with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin