HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 6:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm sure the intent is for it to be a full autoroute all the way to the NB border. There are in fact parallel side roads in place where necessary. If there is still some driveway access on twinned segments currently, then I'm sure it's just a transitional phase.

I drove on the A85 just a month ago and don't recall seeing any driveway access on the highway south of St Louis-de-Ha!-Ha!
I agree. It's almost certain there won't be any driveway access when the new highway is completed. The QC-185 markers on the overhead signs are temporary as well and hide A-85 markers.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 6:34 PM
Heart of the Continent

You don't get a fine until 110 in northern Ontario so, it's pretty much the same as what I'm used to.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Now that's what I'm talking about! This is what the TCH should look like in northern Ontario!!

The TCH should be a unifying force in the federation, just like the CPR was 150 years ago. As long as it's a cattle path, it just strengthens the divisions between east and west.

A coast to coast divided TCH should be considered as an act of nation building, not an economic liability.......
Totally agree. They should tell that to the people in BC where they don't properly divide the highway. They claim they are upgrading the highway to 4 lanes, but they keep adding traffic lights, and keep putting the lanes together without twinning.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 7:00 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Thanks for posting that link Glacier, I enjoyed reading that, good arguments for dividing highways instead of just 4-laning.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 1:02 PM

Some new pics of Hwy 69 in Ontario, specifically covering the new four lane section of highway that opened earlier this year:

The full set and larger images are found here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_6..._p4_images.htm

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 1:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Twice in the past two years I have found the opportunity to be up in the Thunder Bay region of Ontario. I have taken these opportunities to take some photos of the recently twinned Trans-Canada Highway between Thunder Bay and Pass Lake. Highway 11/17 was widened to four lanes over this ~30km stretch over the past few years and was fully opened late last fall. I have placed some small photos below and have included a link to a webpage that I have authored with more photos and larger versions of the photos that appear below:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_1...p5b_images.htm
Nice, very nice.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 5:09 PM
Vancouver Moderator

The Highway 1 - Kamloops to Alberta - Four-Laning Program

List of completed and ongoing projects: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/highwayproje.../projects.html

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
The Highway 1 - Kamloops to Alberta - Four-Laning Program

List of completed and ongoing projects: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/highwayproje.../projects.html

In every single one of those "upgrades" do they keep the lanes together with a 2.6m wide paved median. What an embarrassment.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
In every single one of those "upgrades" do they keep the lanes together with a 2.6m wide paved median. What an embarrassment.
Mostly, and honestly, if it lets them get more 4 lane segments out more quickly, all the better. Money isn't infinite, and if they want to upgrade to the 120 kph standard at a later point, they can. The goal of twinning the whole highway even at grade is big enough right now.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:04 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArconio View Post
Mostly, and honestly, if it lets them get more 4 lane segments out more quickly, all the better. Money isn't infinite, and if they want to upgrade to the 120 kph standard at a later point, they can. The goal of twinning the whole highway even at grade is big enough right now.
Every other province seems to have "funds" to twin their portion of the trans-Canada with a wide divided median. Even in Ontario where they have to make cuts through large rock faces just like BC. But as soon as we get to BC suddenly there isn't enough money. Like Glacier said, absolute embarrassment.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 6:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Every other province seems to have "funds" to twin their portion of the trans-Canada with a wide divided median. Even in Ontario where they have to make cuts through large rock faces just like BC. But as soon as we get to BC suddenly there isn't enough money. Like Glacier said, absolute embarrassment.
Every other Province does not have sheer cliffs and mountains to work with.

It would be like twinning Highway 17 north of Sault St Marie

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 7:57 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post

Tired old response. The portion of highway that Red-Paladin posted is in a valley. Could easily be twinned with a wide median but BC decided to cheap out like always

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 11:49 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
Would you rather keep the old two lane highway where it was almost impossible to pass or was often dangerous to pass?

Any sort of 4 lane highway in B.C. is preferable IMHO to the 2 lane shit I used to travel on there and still do have to travel on indigo many areas. That 2 lane section of the TransCanada west from Golden to the old sawmill - what a gong show that is. Too, too often I've had to endure ridiculous long continuous Iines of traffic dictated by someone quite fearful of that road or to whom plodding along is just a second nature to them.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:25 PM

It shouldn't be too difficult to drop a concrete barrier through the widened highway in the future either. With a median barrier, the left shoulder should still be in excess of 1.0 m. Perhaps not ideal, but certainly not terrible either.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
It shouldn't be too difficult to drop a concrete barrier through the widened highway in the future either. With a median barrier, the left shoulder should still be in excess of 1.0 m. Perhaps not ideal, but certainly not terrible either.
There is already a median barrier

https://goo.gl/maps/v9eJJNYZR4u

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 7:43 PM

BC always likes to build it's highways to the cheapest design possible. They value engineer almost everything.

Exception to the rule is the Highway 1 / Port Mann project. That was constructed to a very high standard.

Highway 17 (SFPR) is a completely different story.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArconio View Post
They can't because the corners are too sharp, etc. Building it wrong the first time basically means that's going to be the permanent road alignment. Houses, farms, and businesses will grow right up to the edge of the road, making future improvements cost prohibitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post

Building highways near Kamloops or in the Cariboo/Prince George area is much easier than building them across the Canadian Shield, and yet these highways in BC are not built to the same standard. Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Would you rather keep the old two lane highway where it was almost impossible to pass or was often dangerous to pass?
It's not an either-or. If the province weren't siphoning off half the gas tax into "general revenue" there'd be money for the roads. If they were to build the highway up to proper design now they would save money in the long run.

I was on highway 101 in Washington State where they ran out of money upgrading a road, so guess what they did, they set aside the right-of-way for future upgrades such that an earthen median could be there when the time came. Instead, here in BC they build 4 lanes, and let houses and frontage roads get built right up to the end so that no further expansion is possible without great expense.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 9:16 PM

I noticed the other day along the Yellowhead. As the province is repaving the highway they are redoing the guard rails. But instead of the Galvanized Metal Barriers they are now installing Cable Barrier. I was wondering how common this type is across Canada.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 9:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I noticed the other day along the Yellowhead. As the province is repaving the highway they are redoing the guard rails. But instead of the Galvanized Metal Barriers they are now installing Cable Barrier. I was wondering how common this type is across Canada.
It is the new barriers. They are going to be the replacement for the old ones.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 9:21 PM
Heart of the Continent

That's been done here in Manitoba as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada