HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Yeah great timing on all this work. I've gone from being 10 minutes early to 10 minutes late on my bus every morning since Labour Day.

Meanwhile the intersection at the entrance to Assiniboine Park at Shaftesbury and Corydon/Roblin is into, what, its 6th week of construction? They busted their asses to do the entire westbound two lanes from Shaftesbury to Chalfont in about 3 weeks and they've spent the last 8 or 9 weeks fiddling around with medians, curbs and this intersection.
Not to mention they already did this last year for months when they did prep work for the bike lanes...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I can confirm that they are just redoing it as it was done 2 days ago. Fun.
I wonder if the concrete samples came back from the test lab with a report that it did not meet the 24 hour strength specs and therefore what ever was formed with concrete from the batch sample had to be removed and redone with a fresh batch?

It would not be the first time that a section of road pavement has had to be taken up and redone at the contractors expense due to a mix problem at the ready mix plant.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I wonder if the concrete samples came back from the test lab with a report that it did not meet the 24 hour strength specs and therefore what ever was formed with concrete from the batch sample had to be removed and redone with a fresh batch?

It would not be the first time that a section of road pavement has had to be taken up and redone at the contractors expense due to a mix problem at the ready mix plant.
It might have been rained on. In which case they cover it in poly, but if the plastic rests on the concrete it sometimes impacts the brush marks, and depending on the inspector, it may not get accepted.

I would think (but I don't know) that a sidewalk would be held to a higher standard for texture. If 5m of a road lane have slightly more slippery texture you probably wouldn't notice while driving on it. But a sidewalk with a smooth texture can be very slippery when wet.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Not to mention they already did this last year for months when they did prep work for the bike lanes...
You must be in the building right next to ours. My view from my office is almost identical to yours..haha

What I am curious about is - why are they ripping out all the interlocking brick on main street?

Last edited by damaaster; Sep 11, 2019 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:16 PM

I went there today and they were ripping out the inter-locking blocks on the second lane of Main Street. They were not ripping up the new concrete on the loading zone. I could not get close to see but it looks like there is 4 feet of sidewalk left and the doors will open out into that space.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 11:08 PM

It's on the news tonight. Cost is $75,000. Still over 2 metres of sidewalk left after loading zone apparently. Businesses say they require it for deliveries. Three restaurants in that one building alone.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I went there today and they were ripping out the inter-locking blocks on the second lane of Main Street. They were not ripping up the new concrete on the loading zone. I could not get close to see but it looks like there is 4 feet of sidewalk left and the doors will open out into that space.
Seems like they are ripping up the interlocking brick all down main street for no apparent reason - unless someone knows otherwise?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Still over 2 metres of sidewalk left after loading zone apparently.
I'd wager that any self-respecting transportation engineer who has been practicing any time since about 1986 knows that's too narrow for this location.

Edit: Global news has a story on this.

Funny how Patman compares the new width to sidewalk widths where patios make the path of travel narrower. Okay fine, but sidewalk patios are applied for every year, and are reviewed by City departments and can be moved if there are accessibility issues. They also don't narrow the sidewalk during snowfall months. In short, they are temporary. This loading zone in permanent.

It's just a little jarring to see a registered engineer can stand in front of the camera and justify this based on some anecdata from businesses complaining about loading.

Last edited by wardlow; Sep 12, 2019 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:17 PM

75k seems like a steal for all that work. no?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:24 PM

Not to mention those businesses moved into those locations knowing the size of the sidewalk prior to. If they made a poor choice in choosing a location, they have every right to move to a different more functional location for their needs.

Its situations like that in which you kind of sympathize with the Airport Authority in complaining that they will see a rise in complaints from people if more people live in the proposed developments at CF PP. People will move in knowing there will be planes and then complain and tell the world to bend to their will. Though I like the idea of the development I do understand that it has potential for greater complaints and possible future poor choices by counselors.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
It's just a little jarring to see a registered engineer can stand in front of the camera and justify this based on some anecdata from businesses complaining about loading.
Total double standard. Any road works intended to benefit cars can go ahead on the flimsiest of rationales. Any road works intended to benefit bikes, pedestrians or transit require endless reams of studies to make sure that no one in a car will have to wait a second longer as a result. As evidenced by the bullshit Portage and Main referendum.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:08 PM

Patman playing cya. They look silly and everyone knows it. No real answers there other than awkward uhh the business said so.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:14 PM

Talking

I've emailed and @mentioned Bowman and councillor Vivian Santos twice and no response whatsoever.

Maybe we can do a little bit of civil disobedience -- put up some pylons blocking the loading zone, maybe a potted tree or two for beautification

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:16 PM

Let go setup a patio in the loading zone. Since it's all good for patios to block the sidewalks.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
It's on the news tonight. Cost is $75,000. Still over 2 metres of sidewalk left after loading zone apparently. Businesses say they require it for deliveries. Three restaurants in that one building alone.
It does not look like 2 meters. Or do they count from the brick of the building to the far edge of the curb? Am I supposed to scrape the building and then get hit by the door flying open, ala BELLMTS CENTRE? Is the warning printed on the side of the door in yellow for legal purposes?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:31 PM

I guess it's better than it was, but I'm noticing that any kind of traffic improvement for cyclists and pedestrians are going to go to lesser streets (locals and collectors, in engineering parlance). Like, this is the same department looking at the idea of making Westminster and Wolseley Avenues one-way to create bike lanes... (I guess they'll have to cut Portage Avenue sidewalks down to 6' if someone complains about inconvenient loading?)

But it's becoming quite clear that the principal urban streets of the city (arterials) are intended to forever and always remain the sole domain of automobiles. Even to the point where there is no dedicated space for cyclists and a comically inadequate amount of space for pedestrians. And it's not just old holdouts from the 1950s road design (hello, Osborne Street), they are actually building more of this shit. And not in Seasons of Tuxedo, but right on Main Street in the bulls-eye of the Exchange District and the oldest part of the city. It's staggering.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaaster View Post
Seems like they are ripping up the interlocking brick all down main street for no apparent reason - unless someone knows otherwise?
They're pulling them all out because they're doing a TBO after the concrete repairs. Getting covered anyways, so may as well remove them first and pave over a smoother surface. It's too bad the city no longer sees a value in preserving a nice streetscape, even though those bricks were sometimes a bit of a mess.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:59 AM

I get that Main Street is wide and all, but 2 to 2.5 metres of sidewalk is pretty typical for streches of walkable Osborne Village and Corydon, and that's right next to lanes of traffic whereas this wouldn't be.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 3:15 PM

Sure. It's also the principle of the situation. Just go ahead and carve out a piece of sidewalk to park cars.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sure. It's also the principle of the situation. Just go ahead and carve out a piece of sidewalk to park cars.
I was mulling this over in the morning and I think I've chilled out a little over it. I spent a chunk of my summer vacation in Copenhagen, and even as a legendary bike and ped-friendly city, I still remember walking down many very narrow stretches of sidewalk. Mind you none of those were on streets anywhere near as wide as Main, but that aside they still made it work.

That said, the principle is still annoying as bomberjet points out. It feels like any ped or bike oriented road changes must be supported by reams of data while there is no ask too unreasonable to accommodate cars, it's like those get granted by default unless someone makes a compelling case against them. There is a double standard here that the City can't get out of the habit of applying.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan