HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:44 PM

With all of the lots surrounding Donald south of Portage, there would be no problem putting together a parcel of land that would meet their needs. In the area enclosed in blue in the photo, you can see that they could put together a two and a half square block area by tearing down a small office block, an older hotel and a former Pizza Hut.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
How many heritage buildings would you permit to be demolished for Amazon? Let's a assume a stock size of 4-6 storeys and 50-80k sf, and that Amazon builds a half decent campus.
That isn't a simple "how many" question as each building has varying degrees of remaining heritage value. For example the RRC building on Princess likely has a heritage designation attached to it but only for the front façade. If you wanted to completely gut the interior you have no heritage impact. While I think Bank of Montreal banking hall at Portage and Main has both exterior and interior elements that are listed as having heritage significance. Further still, I believe there is a heritage designation that covers The Exchange as a district meaning any changes to the streetscape there are going to all have some degrees of protection. A final thought to keep in mind as you play this game is the city, province and federal government all issues heritage designations separately.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:12 PM

The problem with putting a large campus downtown is that you're dealing with a whole bunch of landowners, and getting them to sell would be almost impossible without governments expropriating North Portage-style on Amazon's behalf.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The problem with putting a large campus downtown is that you're dealing with a whole bunch of landowners, and getting them to sell would be almost impossible without governments expropriating North Portage-style on Amazon's behalf.
If Amazon miraculously decided to set up here, they'd have more than enough money to buy whatever land they wanted. Government wouldn't have to do a thing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 3:28 AM

^ Amazon won't be playing the part of some generous Santa Claus... there will be a price to be paid by whichever city they wind up in.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:01 AM

They'll obviously be looking for concessions and tax breaks, but they won't need the government to expropriate shitty buildings and land for them.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:58 PM

^^ While Amazon does not need the government to take over land Winnipeg has a history of stepping in and doing just that for developers. See the Carlton Inn and the one on Smith St given to Fortress.

Also landing Amazon would be a nice get but I worry about how heavy the concessions we would need to land them.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ While Amazon does not need the government to take over land Winnipeg has a history of stepping in and doing just that for developers. See the Carlton Inn and the one on Smith St given to Fortress.

Also landing Amazon would be a nice get but I worry about how heavy the concessions we would need to land them.
It's true. I find it interesting because you'd think they'd obviously be leaning to big eastern cities like Boston, New York, Toronto, etc... But those cities are also I'd think the least likely to give them big concessions, if any at all. They're already massive, wealthy cities with huge corporations having big headquarters there. Obviously having Amazon would still be a boon, but those are the places where it'd make the least impact overall. Especially in NYC, you wouldn't even notice it. Seems like if they're really looking for a deal, a small-medium size city with other nearby cities to draw labour from would make the most sense. Something like Pittsburgh or Philly.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 7:00 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's true. I find it interesting because you'd think they'd obviously be leaning to big eastern cities like Boston, New York, Toronto, etc... But those cities are also I'd think the least likely to give them big concessions, if any at all. They're already massive, wealthy cities with huge corporations having big headquarters there. Obviously having Amazon would still be a boon, but those are the places where it'd make the least impact overall. Especially in NYC, you wouldn't even notice it. Seems like if they're really looking for a deal, a small-medium size city with other nearby cities to draw labour from would make the most sense. Something like Pittsburgh or Philly.
I would guess a low-tax jurisdiction in the area of a university with a prestigious computer science or engineering program. Also a place that would be attractive as a transfer destination for existing US-based employees.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 7:22 PM

Stick em at Kapyong Barracks

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 11:26 PM

^Good idea.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
That isn't a simple "how many" question as each building has varying degrees of remaining heritage value. For example the RRC building on Princess likely has a heritage designation attached to it but only for the front façade. If you wanted to completely gut the interior you have no heritage impact. While I think Bank of Montreal banking hall at Portage and Main has both exterior and interior elements that are listed as having heritage significance. Further still, I believe there is a heritage designation that covers The Exchange as a district meaning any changes to the streetscape there are going to all have some degrees of protection. A final thought to keep in mind as you play this game is the city, province and federal government all issues heritage designations separately.
You're thinking too hard! How many heritage buildings would you sacrifice in a blood ritual?
Quote:

One major draw is that they'd be paying significantly less rent than anywhere else they're considering. Our concessions wouldn't be astronomical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I would guess a low-tax jurisdiction in the area of a university with a prestigious computer science or engineering program. Also a place that would be attractive as a transfer destination for existing US-based employees.
Provided U of M smartens up and moves some campuses downtown. A few people have been saying that for a while... U of M needs to be downtown because they simply have big programs (engineering/law/business) that U of W can't offer. RRC does fine and could be an attractive partner for amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Nooooooo, put residential there!

But yes that would work, and is on a major traffic route.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:

50,000 head office employees making an average of $50,000 per year is $250M per year just in provincial income tax. Another $120M in PST. So directly, it's an additional $370M annually in provincial coffers. What wouldn't the province and city give up for that?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:19 AM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
50,000 head office employees making an average of $50,000 per year is $250M per year just in provincial income tax. Another $120M in PST. So directly, it's an additional $370M annually in provincial coffers. What wouldn't the province and city give up for that?
I, personally, am on the fence as to whether Winnipeg should submit a proposal. I don't believe we have a shot in hell of landing Amazon HQ2 and I do agree that a well-thought out and professional proposal could raise Winnipeg's profile. However, with that being said, if it's not done well, we could come across as looking amateurish and sad. I don't have much faith that either Bowman or Pallister are going to be able to give a good pitch. I write a a lot of proposals in my current job and I just don't see why Amazon would pick Winnipeg, when, quite simply, we don't have the talent pool to support a company that requires 50,000 employees...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I, personally, am on the fence as to whether Winnipeg should submit a proposal. I don't believe we have a shot in hell of landing Amazon HQ2 and I do agree that a well-thought out and professional proposal could raise Winnipeg's profile. However, with that being said, if it's not done well, we could come across as looking amateurish and sad. I don't have much faith that either Bowman or Pallister are going to be able to give a good pitch. I write a a lot of proposals in my current job and I just don't see why Amazon would pick Winnipeg, when, quite simply, we don't have the talent pool to support a company that requires 50,000 employees...
Well then, just don't try. Geez, the attitude of some here is sometimes suffocating. I hope someone with a better approach does. If you write a a lot of proposals, perhaps you should Jammon. Maybe you should consult for Bowman and Pallister. Then perhaps it won't look so amateurish and sad.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Well then, just don't try. Geez, the attitude of some here is sometimes suffocating. I hope someone with a better approach does. If you write a a lot of proposals, perhaps you should Jammon. Maybe you should consult for Bowman and Pallister. Then perhaps it won't look so amateurish and sad.
YES Winnipeg is pretty good at this stuff. They do a fair bit of work with professional site locators from all over the place. I know some other cities are trying to emulate the business-led model we use here.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Kapyong Barracks could be a viable site for Amazon HQ2, the problem is how complicated the negotiations would need to be. It would bring eight parties to the table on the side of Winnipeg and you would need to get them all into agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Provided U of M smartens up and moves some campuses downtown. A few people have been saying that for a while... U of M needs to be downtown because they simply have big programs (engineering/law/business) that U of W can't offer.
U of W has offered a business program for sometime and is actively working to improve that aspect of their program offering. That said the U of M fine arts program feels cut off from the arts community by being out in Fort Garry instead of downtown. Political Science would also be another great fit in downtown Winnipeg with both the Leg and City Hall near by. That said not sure if it fully makes sense to relocate programs based on where those skills are practiced otherwise a lot of programs should move off the Fort Garry campus.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:58 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
YES Winnipeg is pretty good at this stuff. They do a fair bit of work with professional site locators from all over the place. I know some other cities are trying to emulate the business-led model we use here.
It's not just about that. There's so many other things that you have to consider in submitting this type of proposal. Cities with much larger profiles are engaging their biggest stakeholders and business leaders to bring Amazon HQ2 to their city. How do you expect Winnipeg to compete against Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver? And that's just the Canadian cities, that quite frankly, have a lot more to offer than Winnipeg. I'm a big Winnipeg champion, but when your city only offers three regular US destinations by air with 2-3 flights per day, it seems rather unlikely on that point alone, that Amazon would consider locating here when you don't even have a direct flight to Seattle. The first thing they should be considering is whether they can partner with WAA to secure an agreement to bring a direct flight from Winnipeg to Seattle.

And what about infrastructure? This city can barely figure out how to repair our roads. Couple that with a sub-par transit system and no plans for LRT, how are 50,000 employees going to get to the headquarters?

And the biggest point alone, is whether Winnipeg can even support 50,000 new jobs. Winnipeg would have no problem filling the entry-level positions and even some of the executive positions, but where we would massively fail is around IT. That means extensive recruitment outside the province which will cost more $ in the long run.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:01 PM

I don't see how U of M could have faculties downtown. Its not like Red River where the programs are self contained. An undergrad student in Political Science or Fine Arts is still taking classes in English and math etc. Can't have them commuting half way across the city for different classes.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:14 PM

I know people in medicine that have classes at both campuses. That's why the first RT leg is Downtown–U of M. They have certain courses in the Massey Building in the Exchange as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan