HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 11:58 AM

i hope youre right. two things make me doubt the promise of overwealming success:
1. ive become tired of hearing big ideas reduced to "realistic" measures and scaled back due to money, time, or other restraints.
2. ive been hearing left right and center about how global trade "will never be the same again". i guess some of the media has painted a pretty dismal picture of what global trade will become due to higher transportation costs and economic paranioa.

i hope both of these are false and centerport will be our ticket to skyrocketing our economic stagnation. but until i see it happen, i will continue to be very cautiously optimistic.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
i hope youre right. two things make me doubt the promise of overwealming success:
1. ive become tired of hearing big ideas reduced to "realistic" measures and scaled back due to money, time, or other restraints.
2. ive been hearing left right and center about how global trade "will never be the same again". i guess some of the media has painted a pretty dismal picture of what global trade will become due to higher transportation costs and economic paranioa.

i hope both of these are false and centerport will be our ticket to skyrocketing our economic stagnation. but until i see it happen, i will continue to be very cautiously optimistic.

I am fairly optimistic about Centreport Canada. Improving our infrastructure can only benefit Winnipeg in terms of attracting business. Now if only we could afford to improve all existing infrastructure within city limits...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 4:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

takes time jets

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 2:36 AM

Does anyone have any idea whether Doer's Resignation will have an impact on the efficiency at which this project commences, if it at all has an influence? It's just that any publicity or promotions made for Centreport were showcased by Doer! What do you think NewFlyer?

And I was wondering if there was anything new on the plans for Centreport Way.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 10:19 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Does anyone have any idea whether Doer's Resignation will have an impact on the efficiency at which this project commences, if it at all has an influence? It's just that any publicity or promotions made for Centreport were showcased by Doer! What do you think NewFlyer?

And I was wondering if there was anything new on the plans for Centreport Way.
The funding agreement has already been signed off with the Feds and the budgets have passed, so I don't think it should change much.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
It's just that any publicity or promotions made for Centreport were showcased by Doer! What do you think NewFlyer?
hasnt harper talked about it quite a bit too?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 1:48 AM

delete

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 9:25 PM

Civil servant to be named CentrePort CEO

OTTAWA -- Manitoba's deputy finance minister has been tapped to head Winnipeg's inland port initiative, the Free Press has learned.

Diane Gray -- one of the most powerful public servants in Manitoba who helped negotiate the development of CentrePort Canada Inc., -- will be named as its first president and chief executive officer in an announcement this afternoon.

In addition to being the province's first female deputy finance minister, Gray also serves as the deputy in the departments of federal/provincial relations and trade.

Kerry Hawkins, co-chairman of the CentrePort board of directors, said the search for a CEO took more than two months but when Gray's name emerged, it was like the job was a perfect fit.

He said they needed a CEO who could work with government and the private sector to get the port going, and find overseas markets.

"She's been there and has been doing all of those things already," Hawkins said.

CentrePort Canada was created by the province in 2008. The idea is to have a corporation in place to turn 20,000 acres of land around the Richardson International Airport into a hub for the manufacture, distribution and warehousing of goods in North America.

Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce president Dave Angus said it is a critical economic opportunity for Winnipeg and one that will make the city attractive for business investment.

"But there is a lot of work to be done and we needed the right person at the helm," he said.

Angus said he has no doubt Gray is that person: "She is the perfect choice."

He said the business community respects her experience in government and leadership skills.

Gray's mission will be to take the concept of CentrePort and turn it into a reality, including the infrastructure issues, land planning, business investment and government regulations and requirements.

Hawkins said her hiring will put the Port into gear.

"Without a CEO we are pretty much rudderless," he said. "We've been getting so many inquiries but we had to put them off because we weren't ready."

He said the corporation will sign a new lease on office space at the Winnipeg Airport Authority building this week.

On Wednesday, Gray told colleagues her new position will begin Nov. 9.

Gray was involved in CentrePort's development from the ground floor.

Premier Gary Doer, who has worked with Gray for nearly a decade, said she was instrumental in working with the three levels of government and private sector to get the concept off the ground.

"I've promoted her two or three times," he said. "If she could be promoted any higher (than deputy minister) I would have done that too."

Doer said an inland port in Winnipeg will help bring value-added jobs in manufacturing and distribution to the city to complement the existing strengths in the transportation sector.

"We have all the natural advantages here but we haven't taken advantage of them," he said.

Last spring, the federal and provincial governments committed $212 million for a four-lane freeway to connect the Winnipeg airport and the CentrePort land with Inkster Boulevard and the Perimeter Highway.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 5:02 PM
Capitalist

Plans for CentrePort taking shape
Eyeing Canada's first foreign trade zone
By: Martin Cash

The lay of the land for CentrePort Canada is starting to take shape, with plans being drawn up for new roadways and industrial development -- possibly including Canada's first foreign trade zone -- on the 20,000 acres of land near Richardson International Airport.

A preliminary set of three slightly different land-use and proposed roadway-development plans was released this week, with final proposals expected by December.

CentrePort Canada is being planned as an inland port, concentrating export-oriented manufacturing, warehousing and multi-modal distribution activities around the airport.

The idea is that billions of dollars in investment and thousands of jobs will be created in the decades to come.

The concepts call for early stage commercial and industrial development to be clustered in the southern portion of the area immediately west of the airport, with the northern area -- predominantly farmland -- reserved for future development.

MMM Group, the consulting engineers hired by a government-led steering group, is doing the planning work and hosted the second of three open houses this week.

"Part of what this planning process will be doing, in addition to putting forth recommendations on appropriate land use, is also to align the new roads where they fit best to co-ordinate with land-use planning," said Paul McNeil, MMM's regional vice-president.

The concepts include the first indication CentrePort could become Canada's first foreign trade zone. But CentrePort Canada officials caution it is premature to say this will happen for certain.

Foreign trade zones can provide tax and duty advantages for export-oriented manufacturers.

One of the reasons there are no such zones elsewhere in the country is that they are not well understood. Much work will have to be done before it becomes a reality at CentrePort.

"The land-use planning process is designed to provide the maximum options for CentrePort in the future," said Diane Gray, who begins her duties as CEO of CentrePort on Nov. 9.

"Could a foreign trade zone be a competitive advantage? Absolutely," Gray said. "Is it part of our business plan? We don't have one yet."

The variations between three different concepts proposed this week are much slighter than MMM had anticipated.

McNeil said planning had to take into account how the land was already being used.

He said existing land use -- which includes a golf course and other recreation facilities -- will not be disrupted and care was taken to include preservation of creeks and large stands of oak trees.

Farmland in the northern portion of the proposed CentrePort area will be preserved until development demand catches up with supply of other land on the site, something that is not expected to take place for many years, if not decades.

There is some debate about the haste in which the expressway through the area, CentrePort Canada Way (CPCW), is being designed. Neighbours who would be affected, regardless of the exact route the highway takes, are already worried about the spectre of expropriations.

Nelson Boychuk, who farms near where the exchange from the Perimeter Highway onto CPCW is to be located, has been informed 20 per cent of his family's 200-acre farmland will be needed for the new highway.

"I think it is a high-handed approach," he said. "We just got a package two or three months ago and there is already talk about expropriation."

Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation officials said that expropriation is only used as a last resort to acquire land, but it is a mechanism that is available.

martin.cash@freepress.mb.ca

CentrePort numbers

20,000 acres -- The CentrePort area would be bordered by the Perimeter Highway on the north and west, Brookside Boulevard and the airport on the east and Saskatchewan Avenue and the Silver Avenue extension on the south.

9,000 acres -- The developable land on the site after taking into account existing uses like the airport (3,200 acres), rail lines, the site of the city's former Summit landfill and existing recreational facilities.

3 -- Number of plan variations.

3 -- Number of suggested servicing areas, including full urban services in the south, partial services for distribution and dry-land industrial in the eastern middle section and the northern area that is mostly farmland.

Foreign trade zone

How does it work? Manufacturers in the zone can import parts duty-free that are to be included in finished goods destined for export. Taxes and duties are only paid on the finished goods.

What is a U.S. Customs pre-clearance campus? A secured compound where truck cargo can be inspected by U.S. customs agents on-site, eliminating border delays.

Are there other foreign trade zones in the country? No. Ottawa offers duty deferral and GST relief, but this is not location-specific.

Why aren't there free-trade zones now? They are not well understood and entail a daunting series of federal and provincial issues.

Future roadways

"ö CentrePort Canada Way -- $212 million to link the Perimeter Highway through the middle of CentrePort to connect either with the extension of Chief Peguis Trail or Inkster Boulevard.

"ö Silver Avenue extension -- Part of the city's long-range plan, might serve as southern CentrePort connector.

"ö Chief Peguis Trail extension -- Westward expansion also part of city's long-range plan. Work is to start in 2010 on extension between Henderson Highway and Lagimodiere Boulevard.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 1:57 AM

I think the left proposal is best. Notice that there is also a Highway 6 interchange, that seems to be new.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 2:46 AM
Heart of the Continent

I have a feeling that Winnipeg is about to become a whole lot bigger.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 5:18 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Agreed, and with those proposals shown, Chief Peguis could well be extended within the next 10 years, and the potential jobs that would be created in the very near future. That means that if and/or when that happens, there will be a lot of people moving here, which means, spin-off economies, and more housing development.

Also, I like how they planned the layout of the airport, with the second parallel runway in the shadow of the yellow area apart from the existing 13/31 runway alignment.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 10:22 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
No doubt .... this will really become an economic driver not seen in Winnipeg for many decades. We are talking about thousands of jobs through direct and indirect investment. Winnipeg will definatly see alot of change in the coming decade or two. Many new businesses setting up shop .. others expanding ... new expressways the new airport campus, many other road and railway upgrades throughout the province. Winnipeg will regain its place as a major global hub.

Once they get the land issues settled .. the real fun will begin.
2010 will mark the start of a new era for Winnipeg and Manitoba. Buckle up, its going to be alot of fun!!

I am also looking forward to seeing the extension of Chief Pegius ... and well as the development of the St.Norbert Bypass and Headingly Bypass. Winnipeg is on its way.

The double runway is also a very exciting prospect.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 2:30 AM
ABOVE people like you

Port Update Requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I would have to agree with you... they will begin connection services to land next summer.. and development will begin after then.

The interchange at Stergon and Inkster will begin constructuion next year as well.
I read the posts and it looks like they are still at the proposal stage, that said did any of the following ever happen for 2009? Are Services to the land complete? and how far along is the interchange?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 3:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres land survaying and drange being done from what i have seen wondering around with my train nut friend at 2:30 in the morning......

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 4:59 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Basically, there's no action yet, but I have a feeling there will be an "explosion" of activities around the airport next year, most definitely after the new terminal opens.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 3:43 AM

I would like to seem them use this is as an opportunity to consolidate many of the city's rail yards near the airport, especially ones that blight and act as barriers in the city. I'm thinking of the CPR Weston and Winnipeg yards. I am aware of how big an undertaking this would be and how the yards were there first and the city built itself around them. But there would be so many benefits in the long-run to the city and the rail companies by doing this.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 10:21 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I would actually love to see that! Move the CPR Weston and Winnipeg yards to CentrePort, and you'll have true intermodal facility!

If only CP Rail gets the hint...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 12:17 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
I read the posts and it looks like they are still at the proposal stage, that said did any of the following ever happen for 2009? Are Services to the land complete? and how far along is the interchange?
Aquiring land from the niebouring municipality has taken longer than originally expected. Surveying has occured, but development on the west side of the airport will be pushed back until the city locks down the land in question. In the mean time further detailed plans are being completed. The final plans have not be desided. It is down to 3 fairly similar designs... and the interchange is included.

It sounds like the land transfer will occur later this year with the help of the province, and development will begin soon after. Large amounts of funding are in place and this massive development project will soon take off.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 6:20 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Aquiring land from the niebouring municipality has taken longer than originally expected. Surveying has occured, but development on the west side of the airport will be pushed back until the city locks down the land in question. In the mean time further detailed plans are being completed. The final plans have not be desided. It is down to 3 fairly similar designs... and the interchange is included.

It sounds like the land transfer will occur later this year with the help of the province, and development will begin soon after. Large amounts of funding are in place and this massive development project will soon take off.
Speaking of which...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-63232562.html

Latest News

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Reject city's land deal, residents of Rosser told

By: Aldo Santin

2/10/2009 1:00 AM | Comments: 1

* Print
* E–mail
* Share This
* Report Error

Enlarge Image Enlarge Image icon

(WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

GROSSE ISLE -- Rosser residents were urged Thursday night to reject a financial offer from the City of Winnipeg for a chunk of the rural municipality's land within the Perimeter Highway.

Former Rosser councillor Jack Oatway told a meeting that the rural community has reached a pivotal point in its history and their decision will have implications for more than a generation.

"This is your municipality," Oatway said as he received strong applause from the 200 residents who crowded into the small Grosse Isle Memorial Hall.

Winnipeg wants the land west of Brookside Boulevard and north of Four Mile Road to allow a single municipality to deal with CentrePort Canada, the inland port and commercial development planned to augment Richardson International Airport.

Most of the airport site lies within the city of Winnipeg, except the northern tip of the main north-south runway. When CentrePort was conceived, the intention was to have one municipality handle the complex task of creating a large development that combines private-sector investment with new government-financed roads and bridges. Winnipeg said it would cost $40 million to extend water and sewer services to the new development, but it wants the land brought within the city's boundaries.

Consultant Bob Brown told the meeting that Winnipeg negotiators had rejected any suggestion of extending water and sewer services to Rosser land for the CentrePort project or jointly administering the land.

Brown said Winnipeg made only one offer: In exchange for Rosser agreeing to present a joint annexation proposal to the Manitoba Municipal Board, the city would give the RM $5.43 million over 10 years, plus a share of new property tax revenue associated with the CentrePort development over the next 15 years.

Brown said the land Winnipeg wants amounts to about 44 square kilometres, about 10 per cent of Rosser's land base that holds 15.6 per cent of its population and generates 38 per cent of its property tax revenue.

Brown said the deal from the city would compensate Rosser for loss of the property tax base -- $543,677 a year for 10 years -- plus Winnipeg would share a percentage of the new tax revenue developed on the former Rosser lands for 15 years.

Rosser has already rejected a verbal offer from the city and it has not responded to a written offer made in 2008.

Rosser Reeve Alice Bourgoin said she wanted to hear from the residents on what council should do.

"Now you see the hand we've been dealt," Bourgoin said following Brown's presentation.

Resident Ernie Futros, who lives on Rosser land close to the airport, said he believes property taxes for homeowners and businesses will multiply three to 10 times once the area becomes part of the city.

Futros said Winnipeg is being too ambitious in wanting all of the Rosser land within the Perimeter, adding a good chunk of that land isn't slated to be developed for decades.

"I understand why they need the land for the airport, but the rest is just B.S.," Futros said.

Futros said the Rosser council should allow all residents to vote on the offer from the city.

-----

...and the lone comment so far...

Posted by:

October 2, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I hope the RM of Rosser residents will fight the city on this, and that people who live in the NW corner of the city will help out as well because the situation is just ridiculous.

According to maps printed in the Free Press recently, the CentrePort people and governments want to cut a highway through the Little Mountain Park area and rip up all of the good farmland inside and beyond the perimeter for CentrePort's "future development." Industrial manufacturing is mentioned in the related story--who wants that in their neighbourhood??? PEOPLE LIVE HERE!! They are building new houses near Inkster across from Stanley Knowles School, who wants a brand new house near some factories??? This part of the city and RM shouldn't become a heavy industrial zone, the trucking companies are fine, but that's it.

Questions: What about the man who has the model train on Inkster? Is his land getting torn up? What about all of the farms around Little Mountain Park? Why would we want more traffic and roads through there??? We've got to do something!!

-----

Does anyone want to make a counter-point?

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan