HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
One show I detest is the Just for Laughs hidden camera gags show. Absolute rubbish and yet it seems popular - it has been running for years.
It's kind of ironic because that sort of prank comedy is actually pretty popular nowadays since it's well-suited to Youtube series format. The problem is people want to hear their reactions and them losing their shit, not 30 minutes of laugh track and sound effects.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:30 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I wonder why SaskScraper, our resident expert and historian on Canadian TV, has not joined the thread?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:35 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Nirvanna The Band The Show: A hilarious Toronto set comedy that ran on Viceland for a while.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This isn't vintage Canadian TV, but I rather enjoy Master Chef Canada on CTV. The celebrity chef hosts are all likeable and respectful, the production values are high quality and the contestants are generally well chosen.

I would rate the Canadian version of this show as being quite superior to the American version with Gordon Ramsay.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:59 AM

what about these old ones?

Video Link

Does anyone remember Coming Up Rosie, it was a kids show on in the afternoon on CBC. Dan Akroyd, Catherine O'Hars, John Candy etc were in it

Quote:
Coming Up Rosie was a Canadian children's sitcom TV series on CBC Television, aired for three seasons from 1975–1978. Wikipedia
First episode date: September 15, 1975
Final episode date: 1978
Number of seasons: 3
Network: CBC Television
Number of episodes: 32
A facebook video
https://www.facebook.com/cbc/videos/913255779035787/

and this one

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:15 AM

I used to watch this in the morning before school. The puppets were creepy

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:25 AM

I was too old but I used to watch this show due to lack of cable

Video Link

and recently
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:31 AM

I forgot this show. I found a channel on youtube called Encore that has loads of old Canadian shows both english and french ones, you might find one you like. Streel Legal, Danger Bay, Emily of new moon, billable hours etc.

Blizzard island
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:34 AM

ok one more, I used to love this show, I thought the girl was so cool

Video Link

Last edited by SpongeG; Sep 17, 2019 at 5:51 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:50 AM

i need to step away from the youtube but it has so much

but did anyone watch this one/ I remember the cashiers the most

Video Link

the outfits, this was like family viewing
Video Link

I watched this one, her voice and laugh and delivery is what I remember the most and her dog getting in the way
Video Link

I used to love this show too about a youth drop-in centre, lots of Toronto references
Video Link

keanu reeves was on it
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:10 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Still the best show to ever be on television in Canada. Growing up with this really fucks you up. You get all the side effects of LSD without actually taking any.

Video Link

And still my personal fave - Hatching, Matching and Dispatching. The was cancelled but they were popular enough locally to get a movie afterwards.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:45 AM

Codco and Friendly Giant. Two great Canadian classics: https://youtu.be/0BCB0Q-SiPM

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This isn't vintage Canadian TV, but I rather enjoy Master Chef Canada on CTV. The celebrity chef hosts are all likeable and respectful, the production values are high quality and the contestants are generally well chosen.

I would rate the Canadian version of this show as being quite superior to the American version with Gordon Ramsay.
Most versions of MasterChef are superior to the US version with Ramsey. I've watched the Australian version when one of the other food channels aired it, and I'd say the Australian version was the best of the three, but the Canadian version is quite up there as well.

I barely remember it, but Seeing Things was a favorite of mine when it was on. Was going to mention it, but someone else got there first.

And how the hell has this thread gone so long without the Littlest Hobo?

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 12:35 PM

Canadian Crime Shows: The Collaborators, Sidestreet (1970s), DaVinci's Inquest, Intelligence. The last was cancelled far too soon.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:04 PM

Probably not what comes to mind first for most people when they think of quality Canadian TV, but this was god damned appointment viewing for me when I was 8

Before my time, back in its 60s and 70s heyday, I believe it was all Southern Ontario content. But by the time it was coopted by the WWF I think they just spliced in a match or two from Maple Leaf Gardens (or the arena in Guelph, Oshawa or who knows where) into all the American stuff to meet the CanCon requirements, along a few interviews with the legendary Hamiltonian Billy Red Lyons, there to pump up the combatants in whatever upcoming match was coming to an arena near you

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
And how the hell has this thread gone so long without the Littlest Hobo?
It was talked about in the TV ratings thread (the antecedent to this thread) There were a couple of pages on Canadian TV which gave me the idea to start this thread. I posted for mods to move those posts here. Most of the better known shows have already been mentioned so far.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:42 PM

Whiteoaks of Jalna - please discuss.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:53 PM

BCTV Zig Zag with Terry David Mulligan and Biff and Bart (Bill Reiter and the late Rick Ducommun)

There were certain programs that the videotape operators used to stand and watch (rare) at the TV station where I worked. The Biff and Bart segments were one of those.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Whiteoaks of Jalna - please discuss.
Wow, you're dating yourself, I remember it as it was meant to be a big deal on CBC. I didn't watch it because I was too young for it but Jalna as you see below was a famous series of novels. To win the 10 grand cash prize back in those days would have been a major bonanza. Of those who acted in the series Blair Brown, Antoinette Bower and Don Scardino went on to have pretty good careers on the bigger stage.

Jalna, first published in 1927, won the Atlantic Monthly Press's first $10,000 Atlantic Prize Novel award. De la Roche went on to write about the Whiteoak family for the next 30 years, establishing a place for herself in popular Canadian literature. The Jalna series has been translated into many languages and was adapted for stage, radio, and television. John Cromwell directed a 1935 film adaptation, Jalna. In 1972, it was filmed for television as The Whiteoaks of Jalna.

The Whiteoaks Of Jalna Sun 9:00-10:00 p.m., 23 Jan-30 Apr 1972 Sat 8:30-9:30 p.m., 27 Apr-17 Aug 1974 (R)

Clearly the success of the BBC's The Forsyte Saga inspired the CBC to embark on this large-scale production of Mazo de la Roche's family chronicle, which traced the Whiteoaks over a century to the early 1950s.

Both series used sources that trod the line between quality literature and potboilers, and both television series veered between serious drama and soap opera.

Thirteen hour-long episodes, at a cost of two million dollars, made this the CBC's most expensive production to that date. A risky venture, it also represented the network's desire to profit from international sales. (And, in fact, the series was sold to Thames Television in the U.K., to French television and to other foreign markets.) At home, however, Jalna was praised for the production values in which the CBC invested, but heavily criticized for its flatness and predictability. The scripts, by Grahame Woods, Claude Harz, and chief writer Timothy Findley, brought the story up to date rather than keeping them at the distance of the midcentury and before, and employed a flashback structure that switched between present and past to outline the saga of Renny Whiteoak, played by Paul Harding, and the two Adelines, the family matriarch and the grandmother after whom she was named, both characters played by Kate Reid.

The cast included Amelia Hall as Meg, Blair Brown as Pheasan Vaughan, John Friesen as Piers Whiteoak, James Hardle as Eden, Antoinette Bower as Roma Fitzsturgis, Sean Mulcahy as Maitland Fitzsturgis, Paul Bradley as Wright, Linda Goranson as Victoria, Paul Craig as Philip II, Toby Tarnow as Ruth, Gary McKeehan as Christian, Kenneth Dight as Charlesworth, Charles Palmer as Lomax, David Hughes as Maurice Vaughan, David Schurman as Philip I, Maureen O'Brien as Alayne, Don Scardino as Ernest, Don McGill as Uncle Nicholas, Josephine Barrington as Aunt Augusta, Vincent Dale as Young Finch, and Tom Lewis as Young Eden.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:22 PM

The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show

Who didn't love Chucky Margolis, still cracks me up today
"Hey Margolis - Wuddya want high school kid"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada