HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 3:59 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
But I'm sure they could've put a better restaurant in this location, there's plenty of Sal's all over. It would be nice if it was actually open late.
Actually no , they couldn't. It was too risky for most people to consider because they realized that the restaurant itself would have to be the destination as opposed to some waypoint between two others. The restaurant industry being what it is , any business willing to risk the investment on that bridge would have to find a way to keep the customers coming in on a regular basis. Too many risk factors (winter , relatively distant parking compared to most other restaurants , no established clientele , etc.) made it a tough sell.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGGybHg4Sbo

Look at 46 seconds - CMHR!!!! from the past/future

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:44 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Actually no , they couldn't. It was too risky for most people to consider because they realized that the restaurant itself would have to be the destination as opposed to some waypoint between two others. The restaurant industry being what it is , any business willing to risk the investment on that bridge would have to find a way to keep the customers coming in on a regular basis. Too many risk factors (winter , relatively distant parking compared to most other restaurants , no established clientele , etc.) made it a tough sell.
I guess leads me to my response why the hell put on there in the first place knowing that.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:57 PM

^because it gave winnipeg a chance to do something that it rarely does; create an aesthetically pleasing site. And it is also a good spot to stop when venturing back to St. Boniface after a walk to the forks. (especially in the summer when ice cream can be bought... mmmmm!!)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:59 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

it took insperation from the old bridge masters box cafe in the midle of the old bridge

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 7:57 PM

Canadian Museum for Human Rights

Just before the first snowfall. Nice to see a few more tower cranes around the city. Once finished this will be an interesting view. Depending on your opinion of the Scotiabank Stage, of course.

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Last edited by Keng; Dec 5, 2009 at 8:04 PM. Reason: Sp.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 7:59 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

indeed keng wait till the 3rd crain goes in

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keng View Post
....Depending on your opinion of the Scotiabank Stage, of course.
It's got to go.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 6:04 AM
GQMF

Great photo Ken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
It's got to go.
That or renovate it.

http://www.rosebrand.com/fabric-stage-curtains-backdrops/portfolio-detail.aspx?id=100

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 6:23 AM
Heart of the Continent

IMO, that's far worse than the stage. I like the stage that's there.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 6:36 AM

Stage is fine. All that Scotiabank advertising needs to go.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the different site photos above - the updates are appreciated. It looks like there will be some noticeable progress on one of the roots this month:

"The Canadian Museum for Human Rights job site continues to be a site of transition from underground foundation work to above ground concrete structure work this week. Sixteen precast concrete piles were driven in the early part of this week and four large caissons were completed as well. There is concrete activity under both tower cranes now. The exterior walls continue to progress as section nine was poured on Tuesday. A section of grade beam was poured on Wednesday as well. Root A is also the sight of work on the job’s first section of elevated slab. The slab is partially formed and will be poured around Christmas."
humanrightsmuseum.ca

From the same source:

Total area of site: 24,166 M2 (260,123 square feet)
Total area of building: 24,154 M2 (260,000 square feet)
Number of floors: 12
Average floor-to-floor height: 5.2 M (17 feet)
Height of the Tower of Hope: 100 M (328 feet)
Number of concrete caissons: 134
Number of pre‐cast piles: 378

So the tower should extend about 37.5 metres above the top of the main building (right?) -

It's interesting that some of the architectural submissions either didn't have a tower or maybe incorporated one in a non-literal sense (not necessarily referring to the second two here, as it looks like there could be towers in those).

http://archidose.blogspot.com/2004_03_01_archive.html

If the jury was 'literal' about this requirement, you'd think that would have eliminated those ones from the running, as the Specifier article suggests:

"The competition brief specified a tower as an iconic, Statue of Liberty gesture above the city. Many of the entries failed the tower test, while for Predock it was his greatest moment: a Tower of Hope, with controlled views of the sky and the city, a light-filled crystalline 'cloud' soaring 300 feet above the ground."

In any case, it certainly is different from what this article says was the proposal Predock and others put in for a similar institution in the U.S. (although both have an obvious organic feel):

The design for Atlanta's new Center for Civil and Human Rights by Moody Nolan, Antoine Predock, and Goode Van Slyke
Courtesy Center for Civil and Human Rights

http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=3271

As a couple of side notes, I got an alumni letter from the U of M Faculty of Law, saying they will be focusing on four core research areas of excellence - one of them being human rights. So obviously the 'museum' is in mind there, in terms of how to tie into its presence locally. That will be a true measure of its role, i.e. re human rights dialogue/conferences, research and a very current affairs/future focus.

Also, looks like a couple of the naming rights have been reserved:

Naming opportunities

Space Minimum Donation Amount Years for Naming of Space Years for Recognition (i.e. on donor 'wall')
Tower of Hope $10 million Reserved Perpetuity
Great Hall $6 million Reserved Perpetuity
Garden of Contemplation $5 million 25 Perpetuity
Theatre $5 million 25 Perpetuity
Floors 2,3 & 4 (3) $5 million 25 Perpetuity
Temporary Gallery $4 million 25 Perpetuity
Exhibition Rooms (4-L,3-Med, 2-Sm) $2 - 4 million 25 Perpetuity
Glass Elevators (2) $3 million 25 Perpetuity
Wetlands $3 million 25 Perpetuity
Lobby / ticketing $3 million 25 Perpetuity
Restaurant $2 million 25 Perpetuity
Retail store $2 million 25 Perpetuity
Lower theatre level $2 million 25 Perpetuity
Library $2 million 25 Perpetuity
Stairs in Tower (to Observatory) $2 million 25 Perpetuity
Amphitheatre – exterior $2 million 25 Perpetuity
Bridge over entrance – interior $2 million 25 Perpetuity
Upper theatre level $1.5 million 25 Perpetuity
Universal access entrance $1.5 million 25 Perpetuity
Group entrance – exterior plaza $1.5 million 25 Perpetuity
Group entrance - interior $1.5 million 25 Perpetuity
Café patio – exterior $1.5 million 25 Perpetuity
Elevator lobby areas (5) $1.5 million 25 Perpetuity
Classrooms (3) $1.5 million 25 Perpetuity
Programs various Perpetuity Perpetuity

The following is a list of naming opportunities available to $1 million donors.

The naming of the space will be for a period of up to 25 years with recognition (i.e. on the donor ‘wall’) in perpetuity.

Archival area
Artifact preparation area
Boardroom - Reserved
Classroom lobby
Earth garden
Exterior pathway segments (6-10)
Lounges & terraces - interior & exterior (5)
Native grass areas (9)
Office floor levels (3)
Ramp segments (approx. 25)
Training room
Wedge Pond
VIP waiting room

Naming opportunities for endowed funds will be offered in perpetuity.
friendsofcmhr.com

I guess you can see some of those areas in the side diagram:

Last edited by beatlesque; Dec 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 2:01 AM

Cmhr

JustinL already posted an excellent image from this vantage point but what the heck, last one before the cold weather arrived.

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 5:14 AM
surely you agree with me

wow...those are some ambitious costs for naming rights....i guess thats how they hope to make up their budget shortfall.

i had not heard of the similar project in atlanta.....certainly a second class version of ours.....pretty uninspiring design...i wonder if it will get built.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 1:56 AM

^^^
Yeah, I remember something you wrote about the building, which I really liked:

"my prediction is that it will be spectacular....a mountain of glass and stone on a flat prairie....it will change the face of the city completely."

I realize it wasn't your initial favourite - or that of some others of course - and that it grew on you... I also know there was controversy about the selection process, as described in Canadian Architect: http://www.cdnarchitect.com/issues/I...id=1000196130#

But for me personally this was the proposal that worked right away, and when I see that overhead diagram above it makes me wonder how the museum will look from a helicopter vantage point (as was posted before of the site). I think this could be a transformative building.

The reason I mention that is that the CMHR is on the cover of the latest
issue of the main architecture magazine in Quebec, which is focused on competitions. While I don't see much about the museum in the actual articles, it's interesting that they chose it for the cover...
http://www.oaq.com/fr/imprimes/archives_esquisses.jsp

Also interesting (apologies if it's been posted before) is a clay model Predock did, shot from above - it's the first one on this page:
http://www.predock.com/Clay/clay.html

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 2:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if anyones interested canadian archect has a yearly subscription for 56$ right now

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 10:21 PM

In a recent article in the Independent, Frank Gehry said:
"My building in Bilbao cost $300 a square foot with a budget of $100m. I finished it on time and on budget and it doesn't leak. After 11 years it's still there. Last year it earned the city of Bilbao €320m – that's the custom generated by the museum for the city through the visitors it attracted. Walt Disney Hall was built for $215m and the budget was $207m and it doesn't leak and people love it and it works, and people identify Los Angeles with the building the way people identify Bilbao with the other building."
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/architecture/frank-gehry-dont-call-me-a-starchitect-1842870.html

Given that Predock says that with the CMHR's 'cloud', its "roof is more like a façade" (http://www.cdnarchitect.com/issues/ISarticle.asp?aid=1000196130#), what will be the challenges - if any - of making an air-tight, structurally sound building vis a vis rain, temperature extremes, etc.?
There are a lot of unique environments within the building, e.g. 'wetlands', which obviously make the project even more complex. Can any of the architects or engineers here - or anyone else with experience - offer thoughts on the structural challenges of the CMHR? (This article was posted on the Vancouver board re some institutions which overextended themselves building-wise:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/12/ar...nted=1&_r=2&em)

Also, 1ajs do you have the diagram of the museum's glass siding where the words are legible - or can you point me to it? I've seen the image but the words were too small to read.
Thanks if possible. Either way, looking forward to more photo updates as I'm in Vancouver.

Looking at the overhead image below and the diagrams I posted on p.4, the building's glass facade is obviously positioned toward the southwest to take advantage of sun exposure and minimize wind exposure (I would think?), and the glass roof extends right to the stone structure. Is that a pretty straightforward thing to manage re structural soundness, and can Predock be confident there won't be leaking, etc. like Gehry says? I may not be asking the question technically correctly, but hopefully the gist of it is clear.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 10:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no i don't i have tried but they won't give me a copy only avail to members of the meadia and orgnaizations of such someone els on here might have acces to them though... i to would like to see what the text says though

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 6:17 AM

Pic by me from jan 5th

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 6:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

that base just sits there on its side waiting and waiting and waiting eh?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan