HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtownsacto View Post
Does anyone know whatever happened to the Cathedral Square tower? There's a pretty detailed handout on it here, but I haven't read anything about it recently.

http://www.ctbt.com/aspx/getblob.asp...&Listing_Code=

How recent is the brochure? Not crazy about the design but it is a nice project nonetheless.

I don't see it being built anytime soon. There are a lot of little infill mixed-use developments in the works that are more likely will get off the ground.

Last edited by Pistola916; Mar 28, 2015 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 9:29 PM
Hindrance to Development

Yeah, everyone seems to agree (including those in the building profession) that the economics for high-rise construction simply aren't here, but there is a whole lot of room for mid-rise concrete ground floor/wood upper floor buildings, or "Texas donut" buildings with apartments wrapped around a concrete parking structure. So the 1000 block of J will probably sit for a few more decades while they cross their fingers and hope for a day when steel construction materials are cheaper but there's also a building boom going on...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 10:20 PM

Apartment vacancy across the region, especially downtown, is reaching historic lows. If the supply gets tight enough to start bumping up rents we will probably see concrete residential construction become a bit more feasible in the coming year or so, and certainly push a lot more concrete/upper-wood buildings into construction.

Office on the other hand is down for the count for the time being when it comes to anything huge, unless they get lucky and land a huge pre-lease. But give it another half a year or so and things might change dramatically, industrial and residential markets certainly look poised for a boom, and usually office follows suite with a lag.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
Office on the other hand is down for the count for the time being when it comes to anything huge, unless they get lucky and land a huge pre-lease. But give it another half a year or so and things might change dramatically, industrial and residential markets certainly look poised for a boom, and usually office follows suite with a lag.
I'm very optimistic the Vanir Tower will be constructed though. The company seems to have a financing plan and need little more time to get enough tenants to begin construction. I expect the Vanir and the downtown plaza hotel tower to be the only high-rises built this decade.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
I'm very optimistic the Vanir Tower will be constructed though. The company seems to have a financing plan and need little more time to get enough tenants to begin construction. I expect the Vanir and the downtown plaza hotel tower to be the only high-rises built this decade.
I think Metropolitan and Sacramento Commons (not the entire thing, maybe just one tower) will come too given residential vacancy. I agree about Vanir, having a large tenant already gives it the upper hand. Office vacancy is trending down, so even if NOW is not the right time, that could easily change in a year.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 5:05 PM

It would be insane not to have at least a few residential highrises built downtown this decade with return to urban living and in particular Sacramento's urban core revitalizing tremendously y and with rent prices on the rise.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 5:06 PM

And right after I made that post, I see this article that further confirms:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...cramentos.html

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
How recent is the brochure? Not crazy about the design but it is a nice project nonetheless.

I don't see it being built anytime soon. There are a lot of little infill mixed-use developments in the works that are more likely will get off the ground.
I'm not sure, I just made a Google search and happened to come across that. Both sides of that block could use a lot of help...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:48 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
And right after I made that post, I see this article that further confirms:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...cramentos.html
The housing shortage is apparently regional, not limited to downtown, and note that housing prices rising are not accompanied by rising incomes, which means as prices go up, fewer people can afford to buy. The barrier to high-rise housing is the cost of construction, as there still aren't enough people who want to live here AND are willing to pay the costs associated with high-rise condo housing. The real problem right now is a lack of affordable mid-range housing--those new concrete/wood apartments start at $1500 per month and go up to $3000, implying that the rents/payment for high-rise steel is even higher. But unless you can pay that $1500+/month rent, or are lucky enough to get one of the tiny number of new low-income units, there aren't many units to be had.

Of course, the traditional answer to housing shortage is more suburban growth, and North Natomas just got the thumbs-up for about 1500 units of single-family or multi-family housing per year.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The housing shortage is apparently regional, not limited to downtown, and note that housing prices rising are not accompanied by rising incomes, which means as prices go up, fewer people can afford to buy. The barrier to high-rise housing is the cost of construction, as there still aren't enough people who want to live here AND are willing to pay the costs associated with high-rise condo housing. The real problem right now is a lack of affordable mid-range housing--those new concrete/wood apartments start at $1500 per month and go up to $3000, implying that the rents/payment for high-rise steel is even higher. But unless you can pay that $1500+/month rent, or are lucky enough to get one of the tiny number of new low-income units, there aren't many units to be had.

Of course, the traditional answer to housing shortage is more suburban growth, and North Natomas just got the thumbs-up for about 1500 units of single-family or multi-family housing per year.
I did read today that this would be made up of 1000 single-family units and 500 multi-family units. I am optimistic for Natomas.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
I did read today that this would be made up of 1000 single-family units and 500 multi-family units. I am optimistic for Natomas.
And what makes you optimistic?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
And what makes you optimistic?
Well, this is not the most popular opinion around here. But, I actually like Natomas. It has it's problems and it is relatively sprawl-y. BUT, there are lots of trees and the houses are (while cookie cutter) pretty nice with some variety. It's not the greatest thing. But, we can't bulldoze the whole place and restart. So, we can only look forward to better, denser development in the future. I am really optimistic about what will go where the Sleep Train Arena is now. Sacramento has the opportunity to build a denser regional center with some mid and high-rises and more walkable environments. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:10 AM

Anyone know what's going on with eviva on 16th and N? Construction has stopped (again) for over a month now.

Also, what is going on with 700 k? No construction there either, just fencing

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:18 AM

Also I said it before, I am very disappointed in the number of units actually under construction in the grid right now. And I mean ACTUALLY under construction, as in dirt flying. KJ has done an excellent job with the arena and putting us on the map with soccer but I am really starting to question his ability to add 20000 people to the grid (his quote) in a decade if we are barely see any construction this summer in a time of unprecedent demand.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
Well, this is not the most popular opinion around here. But, I actually like Natomas. It has it's problems and it is relatively sprawl-y. BUT, there are lots of trees and the houses are (while cookie cutter) pretty nice with some variety. It's not the greatest thing. But, we can't bulldoze the whole place and restart. So, we can only look forward to better, denser development in the future. I am really optimistic about what will go where the Sleep Train Arena is now. Sacramento has the opportunity to build a denser regional center with some mid and high-rises and more walkable environments. Fingers crossed.
I honestly do see how that can correct the mistakes made in Natomas since most of the area closest to the planned light-rail have already been built out. So what's left is just going to be fake urbanism. Denser for sure, which is good for the developer's pocket book and maybe it might even have a fake urban look with brick facades but it's still going to be wholly car-oriented and suburban. And do we really need another suburban office park? I don't think Sacramento should follow the OC model.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Anyone know what's going on with eviva on 16th and N? Construction has stopped (again) for over a month now.

I heard that the dock workers strike delayed the project. I don't know how true that is. I thought I read somewhere that it's going to be built using pre-made modular units that will be shipped to the site and assembled. If that is true then once it starts it should go up very fast. 700 K is progressing as far as I know. There's a lot of prep work involved with that project. As far as being disappointed in the number of units under-construction or even proposed- I think that the folks doing the financing are still not convinced there's a strong enough market. They are by nature conservative and cautious but we also have a particularly odd situation here where many of them are personally old-school, suburban-minded people who can't see past their prejudice against "downtown". That's why it so often takes outsiders to get things done around here.

Last edited by ozone; Apr 9, 2015 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:39 AM
Hindrance to Development

I figure they will just count new housing in Natomas as part of the central city's growth?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 2:15 AM

I would like to see it converted to residential.

Bay Area firm eyes 2nd office buy near Sacramento’s downtown arena
BY BOB SHALLITBSHALLIT@SACBEE.COM

A Bay Area investment firm that recently acquired one prominent downtown Sacramento building is poised to scoop up another, convinced the area around the new Kings arena could one day mimic San Francisco’s booming AT&T ballpark district.

Swift Real Estate Partners last month completed a $26 million purchase of a five-story building at 630 K St., just to the east of the Kings arena construction site. Now it’s closing in on a second deal to buy one of the city’s under-appreciated gems – the Capital National Bank building at Seventh and J streets, according to Swift founder Christopher Peatross.

Both deals are based on a belief that Sacramento’s downtown will flourish in coming years, thanks to city efforts to upgrade key downtown corridors, improve public transit and, most significant, contribute to a new sports and entertainment facility.

“(The arena) is one the best things that ever could have happened for Sacramento,” Peatross said. “It’s just the sort of catalyst needed to turn things around.”

Peatross, who raised $330 million to establish his real estate investment fund, said he’s not planning any immediate changes at 630 K. But he said the building – a onetime JC Penney location – eventually will be the site of a major entertainment and restaurant complex like those that have sprouted in the area near the San Francisco Giants’ ballpark.

“There’s a restaurant there called Momo’s, where it’s always standing-room only,” Peatross said, citing one example.

“This,” he said, referring to the 630 K site, “is Momo’s.”

As for the century-old, seven-floor Capital National Bank building at 700 J St., Peatross said his firm has “locked it up” and is completing its due diligence before closing on a deal.

The historic granite building, finished around 1915 with distinctive rounded forms and terra cotta nudes perched on the sixth floor, is owned by local investors and was recently placed on the market by the Sacramento office of Jones Lang LaSalle. JLL executives declined to comment on any pending sale.

Peatross said the bank building – which bears exterior signage for its most recent anchor tenant, First Northern – needs more rehab than 630 K and has low occupancy.

“We have work to do there,” he said. But he said the 82,000-square-foot building has enormous potential and a great location. “It’s close enough that it’s still a part of what’s going on at the arena,” he said.

A marketing brochure for the J Street property calls it a “jewel box,” whose ground-floor banking lobby with high ceilings and arched windows is ideally suited for restaurant and retail space.

Swift, which was founded in 2010, has been buying up property mostly in the Bay Area. It has made offers on Sacramento buildings over the past two years, Peatross said, but “we were always bridesmaids.”

Now it’s looking at more deals here to take advantage of a market in transition.

“Sacramento’s day is coming,” he said. “It’s only getting better.”

Last edited by Pistola916; Apr 9, 2015 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 5:00 AM

Quote:

Both of these projects are under active construction, it just doesn't look like it because it is slow going. Keep in mind 700 K is going to be delivered near the arena's date, so it is going to take awhile before the construction is obvious, lots of interior work.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:22 PM

Think about it, they can refurbish and get the historic front buildings restored and leased out with restaurants and the lofts above before they finish the main housing portion on the alley. Makes it an easier sell when you have open "cool" restaurants vs. what's actually on the ground there now. (which is nothing between 5th and 9th on K itself.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
Both of these projects are under active construction, it just doesn't look like it because it is slow going. Keep in mind 700 K is going to be delivered near the arena's date, so it is going to take awhile before the construction is obvious, lots of interior work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area