HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 3:44 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcolo View Post
Agreed. But, AdrianXsands knows a thing or two about architecture. In fact, I value his opinion. So, it's even more frustrating seeing him post pictures of ten buildings and calling them shiite, with out any explanation at all. It's lazy.
That's the scary thing. AdrianXSands doesn't know when to stop and his opinions can turn from promoting progressivism in design to outright snobbery, and it is lamentably how many architects think today.

300 Wacker is a fine building.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 6:21 PM
BANNED

^^^ Everyone I talk to seems to like 311, they all know it as "that tall one with the glowing cylinder next to sears". Most people seem very impressed with the crown and find the building notable because of that. Personally, its not my favorite building, but I like it and how it adds color to the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion41 View Post

not to forget
Hey look! The Pompidou Center in 50 years!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 1:02 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post

05 city place/1990/loebl, schlossman, and hackl

06 chicago place/1991/scb

08 river view apartments/2000-2004/destefano

10 190 s lasalle/1987/johnson burgee architects
From your list, those are probably the ones I really have problems with.

I've always hated the Omni Hotel on Michigan Avenue, as well as Chicago Place and its terrible mall. Hopefully new owners will fix that mess.

The River View buildings aren't terrible IMO, and I do like that they incorporated townhomes at the base instead of having a blank wall face the river. I guess my complaint is that something larger and taller should have been built on that site.

Again, never really liked 190 South LaSalle at all.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 6:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
From your list, those are probably the ones I really have problems with.

I've always hated the Omni Hotel on Michigan Avenue, as well as Chicago Place and its terrible mall. Hopefully new owners will fix that mess.

The River View buildings aren't terrible IMO, and I do like that they incorporated townhomes at the base instead of having a blank wall face the river. I guess my complaint is that something larger and taller should have been built on that site.

Again, never really liked 190 South LaSalle at all.
only those? i hate all the buildings on my list. i made a list at school the other day with one of my teachers and a few of my friends when we were talking about how many notable buildings in chicago we'd considered monstrosities and the list was more than 100 long before we decide architecture in this city is depressing. the conversation about bad architecture in chicago started with a discussion about whether the chicago spire is really world class architecture or just typical chicago hype... and how mies would react if he saw one of his great buildings standing next to trump and being over shadowed by it in every way, both figuratively and literarily

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 7:48 AM
Desert Dweller

Yes and all that, horrid architecture, makes just such a horrible mess!

AdrianXSands, this is intresting, I'd like to hear your opinions on the: Board of Trade Building, Trump Tower, CNA Center, Smurfit-Stone Building, Title & Trust Building, AT&T Center, and the Aon Center.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
the conversation about bad architecture in chicago started with a discussion about whether the chicago spire is really world class architecture or just typical chicago hype... and how mies would react if he saw one of his great buildings standing next to trump and being over shadowed by it in every way, both figuratively and literarily
So do you go to IIT? That would explain a lot about your preferences in architecture.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 1:47 PM
The City

Quote:
and how mies would react if he saw one of his great buildings standing next to trump and being over shadowed by it in every way, both figuratively and literarily
I'm sure Mies was insightful enough to understand the concept of "move the fuck on"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 8:53 PM

Quote:
i made a list at school the other day with one of my teachers and a few of my friends when we were talking about how many notable buildings in chicago we'd considered monstrosities and the list was more than 100 long before we decide architecture in this city is depressing.
Wow! 100 notable buildings in Chicago that you considered monstrosities! Not poor, or mediocre, or uninteresting, or unambitious, but monstrosities. All I can say is that the work you and your friends are producing must be freaking unbelievable that it makes everything else look like a monstrosity in comparison.

rickdm

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 2:31 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

How did I miss this? That's bloody beautiful!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 4:39 AM
Closed account

this major project which included a freeway, "open space," and autocentric office/industrial...

which had been (demolition well underway of josephine bakers neighborhood) ...

"mmm...nothing like the sweet smell of slum clearance in the morning."

http://www.umsl.edu/~virtualstl/phas...ilprogress.gif

the bomb goes off...

Last edited by SuburbanNation; Aug 3, 2008 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 4:57 AM
Closed account

well i probably already submitted pruitt igoe...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 5:28 AM

Quote:
only those? i hate all the buildings on my list. i made a list at school the other day with one of my teachers and a few of my friends when we were talking about how many notable buildings in chicago we'd considered monstrosities and the list was more than 100 long before we decide architecture in this city is depressing.
Lemme guess, the list included all the already demolished cabrini-green highrises, robert taylor homes, ABLA and stateway gardens?! lol. But seriously, what snobbery! I mean, who do you guys think you are? As rickdm said, you must be designing some tremendous stuff over there in school to hold so many other works in such low regard, deeming them 'monstrosities'. Cant wait to see your buildings go up.

While there are certainly some very ugly buildings in chicago (many that can be called monstrosities by the majority of critics), lets not get too carried away here or get overly pompous. Oh wait, never mind I forgot who this was; the guy who would like to level over half of chicago cuz theres so many ugly buildings, lol!! Very amusing though.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
How did I miss this? That's bloody beautiful!
I thought it was pretty interesting as well. These structures can be beautiful depending on the setting. For example, we have Gas Works Park here in Seattle. It's very sculptural and is just stunning from far away against the grass.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 7:29 PM
Look at me!

The Hyatt regency in Montreal, accompanied by its fellow Complex desjardin is without a doubt the ugliest highrise ever built in Montreal.

You really have to see it for yourself to believe how revolting this fiasco is.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium View Post
whoa! that's awesome!! it looks like all the buildings from blade runner... or brazil...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 11:57 PM
Never Dell

I agree with AdrianXSands on something? Amazing.

Gas Works could use more trees and maybe some drainage, but it's a cool concept. Some of the gas works is fenced off, and some is still there for kids to climb on. Of course, the fenced off parts were left partially intact because demolishing it would have required a huge remediation effort there wasn't money for, while leaving it avoided that cost. Today it's one of Seattle's more popular parks. I was there yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
whoa! that's awesome!! it looks like all the buildings from blade runner... or brazil...
Brazil is one of my favorite films. It definitely had an industrial/Art Deco aesthetic.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 12:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I agree with AdrianXSands on something? Amazing.

Gas Works could use more trees and maybe some drainage, but it's a cool concept. Some of the gas works is fenced off, and some is still there for kids to climb on. Of course, the fenced off parts were left partially intact because demolishing it would have required a huge remediation effort there wasn't money for, while leaving it avoided that cost. Today it's one of Seattle's more popular parks. I was there yesterday.
It shouldn't have more trees. The point is to create contrast. Granted, Seattle's grass isn't always that green, but it's still better this way.

Last edited by elysium; Aug 5, 2008 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium View Post
It shouldn't have more trees. The point is to create contrast. Granted, Seattle's grass isn't always that green, but it's still better this way.
Yup. Contrast is good, and also used in fine art.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture