HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 10:25 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

As the design process matured it became rather clear that Libeskind was never intended to design the buildings as much as he was intended to arrange the site.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 4:01 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
It still amazes me that Libeskind was chosen to design the WTC at first. His buildings would have been a blight on downtown for decades. Thank goodness that mistake only caused delays and not actual buildings.
Thank you, I second that...Libeskind is such a horrible architect and it bothers me that he is able to get anything built to begin with. If nyc really wanted a new tallest building to look completely ugly they could of always gotten Micheal Graves to design it, which would of resulted in something just as crappy or worse than what Libeskind could do.

Though, with this said...whatever gets built, especially if it is this current design, it will be nothing more than just a tall office building. There is really nothing special about this design, and the base of the building will probably be the most uninviting and closed in part of the building...the most hope I have in this going right is some form of ground level memorial and an observation deck that allows one to look down onto the memorial and is possibly at the same height the towers once were.

Personally I think this new tower will in no way capture some of the amazing effects and details that were in the original twin towers, but at the same time I would find it funny if whatever they built became something hated by most new yorkers because then it would be on par with the original buildings. I have photobooks before 9/11 that talk about how horrible the twin towers are and how much they destroyed nyc's skyline.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Go away.
No

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 4:48 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTowersForever View Post
No
Here's the deal; it is of the utmost rudeness to barge into a thread that focuses on construction updates and start blathering your silly opinions and complaints about the project at hand. The post in question has been moved here so that it is now relevant, but if you keep at it over there I will not hesitate to report your posts. I'm humouring you here so that it does not happen again. Capiche? This dies right here and it will not be discussed further.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
All hail the NYPD.
amen. I forgot how hideous all the previous proposals were.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Here's the deal; it is of the utmost rudeness to barge into a thread that focuses on construction updates and start blathering your silly opinions and complaints about the project at hand. The post in question has been moved here so that it is now relevant, but if you keep at it over there I will not hesitate to report your posts. I'm humouring you here so that it does not happen again. Capiche? This dies right here and it will not be discussed further.
I did not complain. There was two pictures of the FT. The second one looked like it had a wider base then the other. So I asked "Wait..Which one is being built?" Honest question right? I probably did mistake the other thread for this one. But I don't think being told to "go away" is the proper way of handling that.

Sorry

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 5:22 AM
them bones

Quote:
I did not complain. There was two pictures of the FT. The second one looked like it had a wider base then the other. So I asked "Wait..Which one is being built?" Honest question right? I probably did mistake the other thread for this one. But I don't think being told to "go away" is the proper way of handling that.

Sorry
The pictures you were referencing are two views of the SAME building. You realize that right?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
The pictures you were referencing are two views of the SAME building. You realize that right?
Yeah it just looked wider to me is all. Also I keep seeing two pictures of two different crowns. Which one are they putting on it?

I personally dont like this one.

wtcprogress.com

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:14 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I just don't understand why they don't build two towers and scrap tower 3. It would be easier and save money anyway along with being more symbolic. I could get into it more indepth but it is late and I am very tired.

What do you think?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 7:59 AM
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I think we've had that conversation about 2724563632435 times too many...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 2:31 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krases View Post
Imagine if Ghery had designed the entire WTC site.

We at least know you could easily see it from a distance in the daylight.
If Ghery designed it, there'd be so many curves and crap that it'd end up as a giant hyperbolic mirror and burn New Jersey to the ground.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 1:42 AM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
I just don't understand why they don't build two towers and scrap tower 3. It would be easier and save money anyway along with being more symbolic. I could get into it more indepth but it is late and I am very tired.

What do you think?
I've thought about this. It would save money and time and capture the aura of the original towers.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 3:00 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Without Tower 3 the complex will not fulfill the square footage the PA is contractually obliged to give Silverstein.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
This was posted by derek2K3 at WNY, and they show all of the towers

DBox
http://www.dbox.com/

Ok Ok Maybe the new WTC doesnt look too bad. This is a great picture. Can someone maybe edit in Twin Freedom Towers? Or maybe the Twin Towers in this picture? It would make for a great background...

Last edited by TwinTowersForever; Sep 28, 2009 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 5:21 AM

I could go without building #4 for sure (could take or leave 3 as well..TTs looked better) but I definitely am eager to see 1 and 2 standing next to each other one day.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 7:02 AM

Building 4 is my favorite.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I could go without building #4 for sure (could take or leave 3 as well..TTs looked better) but I definitely am eager to see 1 and 2 standing next to each other one day.
Agreed

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 1:11 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Lightbulb

Quote:
Ok Ok Maybe the new WTC doesnt look too bad. This is a great picture. Can someone maybe edit in Twin Freedom Towers? Or maybe the Twin Towers in this picture? It would make for a great background...
Hmm.. You're right! We could place that second 1WTC right over the memorial! Thanks bro!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
Hmm.. You're right! We could place that second 1WTC right over the memorial! Thanks bro!
There is plenty of room. You might need to move some of the new buildings around a bit, but there is room.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 1:48 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

The only lot that looks bit enough to fit another 1WTC is where Tower 3 would be. But if 2 1WTC's were built that far from each other it would be stupid and would off-balance the whole skyline.

I'm not really sure why people keep complaining, every tower 'serves' a purpose and they all compliment each other. I could find many ways in which the towers compliment each other and how it's better than getting rid of Tower 1, 2, 3 or 4.

The only thing I wish they would've changed is the height of all the towers. Two or three hundred feet on each one could've been better, but the extra space would probably be unnecessary and it would tale longer to build. Plus the symbolic heights are good too, even though they 'limit' how tall each tower can be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture