HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 5:49 AM
Editor

I might have to change my guess from 30K to something more like 35-40K

The CMA looks to have really strong numbers according to that info above posted by Stephen Ave, and also from this article today.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...662/story.html
From the article
Quote:
Lai Sing Louie, regional economist for the Prairies and Territories region with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp., said net migration to the Calgary census metropolitan area in 2013 was a record 45,168.
“Net migration is a key driver of housing demand. Rental market

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 3:02 AM
ARTchitecture

Anyone else find it amazing that Calgary has grown by nearly 200 000 since the 2011 census? So awesome I'm guessing we'll be at about 1 420 000 at this year's federal estimate... counting in the 80 000 in the non-included part of our CMA, that's 1 500 000

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 6:16 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Anyone else find it amazing that Calgary has grown by nearly 200 000 since the 2011 census? So awesome I'm guessing we'll be at about 1 420 000 at this year's federal estimate... counting in the 80 000 in the non-included part of our CMA, that's 1 500 000
That depends. What is that as a percentage on an annualized basis? That is what I would judge growth by. 1.8% or so would be average growth, anything more than 2 or 2.5% would be pretty impressive.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 4:03 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
That depends. What is that as a percentage on an annualized basis? That is what I would judge growth by. 1.8% or so would be average growth, anything more than 2 or 2.5% would be pretty impressive.
I'm too lazy to work out the math, but every year since 2011 the city of Calgary proper has been growing by at least 2 or more percent. The CMA as a whole must be around the same I would think.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 8:40 PM
ARTchitecture

Alberta just grew by 29 000 in Q1 of this year (Feb,Mar,Apr), that is down from a growth of 34 000 in Q1 2013. I wonder if that will lead to a lower growth for the city? I am sure it will have somewhat of an impact. Our growth has certainly cooled since last year, but it is still going strong, outpacing Ontario even.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 8:58 PM
BANNED

I hope they expand the metro area boundaries this year. Calgary Economic Region definitely surpassed 1.5M by now. Could hit 2M in about 10 years.

Summary of current economic indicators - Calgary

Population

July 1, 2013 1,468,689 4.2% CER

http://www.calgaryeconomicdevelopmen...cators/current

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 9:07 PM
ARTchitecture

at 1 469 000 in the extended (true) metro region, we will definitely be past 1.5 million this year.

If we do hit 2 million, I'd put my money on 12 years for us to hit it. I'm not sure what the extended region is growing by, but I do know we won't be staying at 56 000 growth in the CMA for much longer. If we can manage to hack out another couple of years over 50 000 in the CMA and 60 000 in the CMA + extended area, we could possibly be at 2 million by 2024, but if our growth slows back down to 25 000/ year in that timeline, it might still take quite a while longer.

EDIT: Wow, the true metro area grew by a whopping 61 685 people last year. That is friggin crazy. Another two years of this and they'll have to expand the CMA boundaries. Okotoks + Foothills is growing by 10 000/ year.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 7:23 PM
ARTchitecture

Hopefully all this crazy growth translates into more construction starts in the East Village. Hopefully a rental tower or two as well

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 11:09 PM

Cochrane released their census results today roughly 2000 more residents since last year

http://www.cochrane.ca/386/Demographics

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 11:25 PM
ARTchitecture

10.4% growth over one year. Amazing. If that is any indication of the regions growth over the past year, that could spell a regional growth in the high 60 000s

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 4:52 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
Cochrane released their census results today roughly 2000 more residents since last year

http://www.cochrane.ca/386/Demographics
Wow, Cochrane is over 20k now. I'm always amazed at how fast some of these satellite cities are growing. Should be some huge population growth for the CMA region.

Calgary's census results should be out soon I imagine.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 5:15 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah, I am hoping that crazy growth in Cochrane is indicative of the growth in the overall region over the past year. Maybe a record-setter?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 5:19 PM
Editor

Quote:
Yeah, I am hoping that crazy growth in Cochrane is indicative of the growth in the overall region over the past year. Maybe a record-setter?
I'm pretty sure it will be a record....though I'm not sure what the record is for Calgary, I think this year the CMA should be seeing close to 50K growth. That's gotta be a record.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 5:49 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I'm pretty sure it will be a record....though I'm not sure what the record is for Calgary, I think this year the CMA should be seeing close to 50K growth. That's gotta be a record.
Last year, the CMA grew by 57 000, which was probably a record. The Calgary Region grew by around 61 000. If the CMA grows by 58 000, that will be a record

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 6:03 PM
Editor

Quote:
Last year, the CMA grew by 57 000, which was probably a record. The Calgary Region grew by around 61 000. If the CMA grows by 58 000, that will be a record
Last year was 57K! Crap that's a lot. This year should be more....1.5M is just around the corner.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 7:31 PM

This article is from today's Herald: Calgary and area projected to hit 2.4 million by 2041

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...881/story.html

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 4:12 AM

Based on even a relatively modest annual increase of 50,000 into account for the "true" metro region (agreeing with Chad here), Calgary will easily hit 2 million in 10 years. At current growth rates, it may do so in as little as 8.

The good thing is, I think Calgary is enough of a global city now that it will draw enough migrants and immigrants to continue to grow at a decent pace even in economic downturns. Sort of like Montreal and Vancouver do, even when their economies struggle. Being the biggest city in a very large geographic region, and the corporate headquarters and regional offices, banks, support services, etc. that goes with that, not to mention the large established immigrant communities, ought to sustain a critical mass of economic activity. Very exciting times.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 5:24 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
The good thing is, I think Calgary is enough of a global city now that it will draw enough migrants and immigrants to continue to grow at a decent pace even in economic downturns. Sort of like Montreal and Vancouver do, even when their economies struggle.
You mean like Toronto and Vancouver do. Calgary has had higher immigration rates than Montreal for many years- as has Edmonton.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 12:23 PM

/\yup - fair point. I referenced Vancouver and Montreal because the 3 of us are sort of the second tier global cities after Toronto, but you are right that our immigration rates are higher than Montreal's - something that never gets acknowledged in the media for some reason. It's more that eve when Montreal has been in downturns, it still grows.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 1:10 PM
ARTchitecture

I agree. Also, did anyone else read about the meetings between Western and Territorial Premiers over this past week in Iqaluit? They have all unanimously called for greater trade linkages between provinces, the relaxation of the crackdown on foreign workers (especially important in Alberta, northern BC, and the territories), and the relaxation of international immigration to the west. We could end up seeing a population surge if the federal government listens.

Also, Okotoks census numbers were just released. Their population is now 27 331, with a growth of over 1 000 people this past year. Not as impressive as Cochrane's numbers, but still pretty good

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation