HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
True.

...if you choose to ignore his history of bullshit -- such as the giant sculpture illegally overhanging the public right-of-way and the illegal stone wall (as other have noted above). Furthermore, he's no stranger to the city's permitting process and how things are done. Simply put, he knew better yet he thought the rules do not apply... again.

The neighborhood has been watching this potential project for a year (see link: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131...ld-be-expanded). Novak knew it would face public scrutiny (especially in a neighborhood where most people incorrectly assume historic = protected). Yet he still went ahead half-cocked. The arrogance!

At the end of the day all he's done is given the local NIMBYs more ammunition to use in their crusade against good projects in the future.
Certainly, Novak deserved to get his dick slapped by Admin Hearings. He is in the trade and should know better.
But I think you're reading more into his actions than there is.
The lot is zoned RM4.5. This lot is not landmarked. (It is in a Nat'l historic district but that is a toothless designation)
He chose to put an addition on the original structure. This was as of right, not subject to landmarks, and well under existing zoning. Nimbys had no leverage in that choice.
His new permit is for a 2 story structure.
I think his structural engineer didn't look close enough. My guess,Novak got into it and found something he couldn't fix.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
I think his structural engineer didn't look close enough. My guess,Novak got into it and found something he couldn't fix.
I would like to give Novak the benefit of the doubt. No really...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 1:27 PM
BANNED

Big bummer: located along the L in Lincoln Park, the former James Mulligan Elementary, which was being converted into apartments, is going up in smoke this morning. This project has been brought up here on SSP several times. Really disappointing for an old relic that was given a second chance. I'm sure the squatters who broke in would like a, errr, mulligan at this point.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/11/...hool-building/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:24 PM

Unbelievable. What a loss. I recall the developer fearing exactly this sort of thing occurring. Hadnt they just hired guard dogs?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:28 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Holy shit that's terrifying. Is there any chance of salvaging it or is it a complete loss??

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:48 PM

Damn, that renovation was moving along so well. Chances are the buidling will be salvaged, at least in part with some flexibility on what the final product may end up like. I hope they had good insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Vue53 in Hyde Park. Construction hasn't started yet, but they've already torn down the gas station.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard any news on when construction might begin?
Ah yes! That's the one I was scratching my head over. I knew another was out there. The Mobil in Lakeview is also poised for redevelopment too. That plan is being actively NIMBYifed though. Of course the magic of replacing gas stations is that just about anything you put on that site is a reduction in auto traffic.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:12 PM

http://cstbreakingnews.files.wordpre...4-01.jpg?w=670

cant imagine how much of the original elements inside will be salvageable, looks like the upper floors have totally collapsed, not to mention ice/water damage to just about the entire structure

heartbreaking considering how much work has gone into this...it sounded like it was going to be a beautiful rehab. one has to wonder if this was a homeless person trying to keep warm, or kids hellbent on destroying the property. given the number of break ins and tagging i dont think you could discount either. so much for landmark status.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Nov 18, 2014 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:33 PM

Call me mistrustful, but I find it somewhat suspicious that right after the owner of this property says in an interview that his biggest fear is a fire...guess what happens!?! Not sure what the advantage to having it burn would have for him , but what a coincidence.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:34 PM
Plenary pleasures.

That's quite sad. Echoing Shawn, I really hope the developer's insurance can cover a big chunk of this, and that the renovation continues. Given what was mentioned earlier, I would be leaning heavily to this being an act of arson. Terrible.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Call me mistrustful, but I find it somewhat suspicious that right after the owner of this property says in an interview that his biggest fear is a fire...guess what happens!?! Not sure what the advantage to having it burn would have for him , but what a coincidence.
i seriously doubt it, they were just about done with the whole thing. theres nothing to be gained having it destroyed this late in the game. that building seemed to be a magnet for vandals regardless of its state of repair, and his fears were entirely justified

my very first thought was "this is a bunch of punks pissed off that their old playground is being taken away from them"

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:47 PM
BANNED

eh with this weather i more expect a homeless fire.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
eh with this weather i more expect a homeless fire.
yeah...maybe. i guess time will tell. if it was, it would be the same set of circumstances that took down that beautiful warehouse on the southside last year. this shit breaks my heart.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:03 PM
BANNED

^On the bright side, the results of structure fires in these temps is somewhat magical and at the very least, they burn up in style

fire-and-ice-on-south-ashland-avenue.html

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 7:15 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

I live a block away from Mulligan. Work there had picked up noticeably over the last few months. Between Mulligan & CTA, lots of electrical work going on in the alleyway.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:18 PM

So I take it that's what made my commute this morning a living hell? Brown line running on red line tracks and purple line express wasn't even running. Packed in like sardines and all the stations were overflowing with people unable to get on.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
So I take it that's what made my commute this morning a living hell? Brown line running on red line tracks and purple line express wasn't even running. Packed in like sardines and all the stations were overflowing with people unable to get on.
Yep, this was the cause.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Holy shit that's terrifying. Is there any chance of salvaging it or is it a complete loss??
I can be sure it's salvageable even from an armchair perspective. Just look what was salvaged of the same-sage destroyed buildings in Detroit that had been subjected to decades of nasty winters without roofs or windows and countless fires. I'm sure the south side of the building will require substantial reconstruction. Hopefully the money will be there.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 1:33 AM

Looks like I'll be getting a photo tour of the old colony building rehab. Anything to look out for in terms of a proper restoration?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 1:41 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Looks like I'll be getting a photo tour of the old colony building rehab. Anything to look out for in terms of a proper restoration?
That's awesome, take lots of pics inside and out; I'm sure we'll be dissecting their work enough through the photos. Good luck!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I'm really curious to see what's left of the 17th floor massive restroom. http://chicagotextures.blogspot.com/...ld-colony.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development