HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 1:39 AM

Wow, I don’t think we’ve seen it in context before. It’s TALL. This new crop of 500+ footers is really going to make us start feel to feel big.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 2:10 AM

She's a beaut. Doesn't blow you away with striking elements but combines a lot of soft, subtle elements to result in a very nice finished product. I love the fading effect.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Exterior details are a bit different from the final cut but you get the idea.

https://juancasillasacosta.com/River-St-Tower

So, is this the current design or an old design?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
So, is this the current design or an old design?
Old design. Facade details; crown is a bit different from the final design quoted on the previous page.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 3:47 AM

Well shit. That’s disappointing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 1:12 PM

Kind of worried about that big blank concrete wall on the north side

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 1:56 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkconno View Post
Yeah, especially on the Rainey St portion - I'm not sure if there would be development immediately toward its north on Rainey. However, something could be built on East Ave since there are some empty lots there. If anything, half of the big blank wall could potentially be covered.

I'm also glad this isn't right next door to 44 East since they're only a foot apart in height according to what we know (573' and 572' respectively). AWESOME to have buildings pushing 600' in the area, but glad to have the height broken up a bit as well.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 2:21 PM

Thinking this through -- on the north side of this one on East Ave. is . . . the former Kimber Modern lot, then the Cambria (which, who knows if its happening), then the Fairfield Inn and Suites, currently under construction, then the Van Halen Homewood.

I actually hope the Kimber Modern folks take a lesson from the Hyatt Centric and go tall and skinny. Seems warranted on that stretch.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Exterior details are a bit different from the final cut but you get the idea.

https://juancasillasacosta.com/River-St-Tower

I like the final design, but this older design is definitely more interesting IMO.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post
I like the final design, but this older design is definitely more interesting IMO.
Right? Even ignoring it being taller and a somewhat more interesting design from a skyline perspective (although I always seriously question whether plants visible in a rendering will exist in any way in a building's final form), it also seems to have a better design at street level.

And, this also looks like it has more space around the 6-8th floors for a residential amenity deck. I've always wondered why the hotels around the area (e.g., Homewood, whatever else is planned), don't have something much nicer in that realm. Namely because if you look at the new Marriott, and the Westin on 6th that came a few years ago, both of those pool bars have been crowded since day 1. If the Homewood Suites had put even a small amount of effort into turning their pool area into a nice pool bar, it'd have printed money.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Right? Even ignoring it being taller and a somewhat more interesting design from a skyline perspective (although I always seriously question whether plants visible in a rendering will exist in any way in a building's final form), it also seems to have a better design at street level.

And, this also looks like it has more space around the 6-8th floors for a residential amenity deck. I've always wondered why the hotels around the area (e.g., Homewood, whatever else is planned), don't have something much nicer in that realm. Namely because if you look at the new Marriott, and the Westin on 6th that came a few years ago, both of those pool bars have been crowded since day 1. If the Homewood Suites had put even a small amount of effort into turning their pool area into a nice pool bar, it'd have printed money.
I agree! It can bring in business to hotel restaurants and pools if they make them attractive for locals and/or tourists. However, perhaps they don't consider themselves a destination hotel so they don't want to spend extra dollars. That's my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkconno View Post
It could be a great opportunity for a mural! I just hope they don't leave it blank.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 6:24 PM

I'm guessing they're leaving it blank because they're anticipating a high rise being built up close to it in the future.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 7:34 PM

A three-story hotel planned next door on east ave will only cover a portion of the wall. Not sure what's the latest.

https://austin.towers.net/two-new-ho...reet-district/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 1:48 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
A three-story hotel planned next door on east ave will only cover a portion of the wall. Not sure what's the latest.

https://austin.towers.net/two-new-ho...reet-district/
A 3-story hotel on that site is a waste, blank wall or not.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
A 3-story hotel on that site is a waste, blank wall or not.
I have serious doubts that is what will be built there. This already expensive land has undoubtedly gone up in value since that project was announced. I bet this site gets something akin to The Rainey Tower treatment. The land is just too valuable to be under utilized with such a small project.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 1:12 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post
The accountants rarely care about good design. Too bad, because good design helps the architect win the next project, and might up the tenant asking price a bit. But getting people to think long-term is a big task these days.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 2:21 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I have serious doubts that is what will be built there. This already expensive land has undoubtedly gone up in value since that project was announced. I bet this site gets something akin to The Rainey Tower treatment. The land is just too valuable to be under utilized with such a small project.
Yeah, I agree. And I hope you're right!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
The accountants rarely care about good design. Too bad, because good design helps the architect win the next project, and might up the tenant asking price a bit. But getting people to think long-term is a big task these days.
Yeah, it's unfortunate. The original design would have complemented Waller Creek Super tall design nicely (and possible the new Ritz tower, though the official design is still pending from what I understand) with the 3-tier aesthetic. I counted and I got 46 stories for the original design and 48 for the new one. Did it actually get a height increase with the new rendering?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 4:23 PM

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the newer design was the result of value engineering. Maybe losing the curved glass was, but dropping the extra setback allowed them to add more floor area. The newer version is a larger tower.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the newer design was the result of value engineering. Maybe losing the curved glass was, but dropping the extra setback allowed them to add more floor area. The newer version is a larger tower.
Yep. This.
Yeah, the older rendering was more pleasing to the eye but I can certainly live with what is going up in its place. Still gonna be a damn good looking tower!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin