HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERvARKwPtiU

i guess if were talking stadiums/arenas heres a good short video on what some people think on how the future of stadiums should look/be. now, this is speaks for large metro cities like toronto/LA/dallas etc and its an NFL stadium video... but just having the same mindset that these guys talk about and maybe transcend that into a smaller "saskatoon" type scale so it serves our climate and the events that we have here and still use the rest of our downtown as we do for everything else.

just something that popped up while youtubing last night, thought id share to see what you guys think.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
I assume that Sasktel Centre is ran as a business. So does anyone know if it turns a profit for the city and if so how much?
From the linked Budget, it looks like about $1 million per year. Less than I might have thought.

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...cumentId=43929

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERvARKwPtiU

i guess if were talking stadiums/arenas heres a good short video on what some people think on how the future of stadiums should look/be. now, this is speaks for large metro cities like toronto/LA/dallas etc and its an NFL stadium video... but just having the same mindset that these guys talk about and maybe transcend that into a smaller "saskatoon" type scale so it serves our climate and the events that we have here and still use the rest of our downtown as we do for everything else.

just something that popped up while youtubing last night, thought id share to see what you guys think.
Interesting video. Some of what they were proposing in the video was incorporated into Rogers Place / Ice district in Edmonton. Is that scalable for Saskatoon? That's the big question.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Interesting video. Some of what they were proposing in the video was incorporated into Rogers Place / Ice district in Edmonton. Is that scalable for Saskatoon? That's the big question.
i think it very well could be, and should be. large(r) cities like edmonton, minnesota with their new NFL stadium(cool video also), are doing it with the size they are at. Whos to say we cant do something at a smaller scale? and be a good example at developing something like the video suggests/ice district, while were at the size were at so when we do grow to 500k+, it wont be more of a headache and a challenge to incorporate something neat like this.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
From the linked Budget, it looks like about $1 million per year. Less than I might have thought.

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...cumentId=43929
Actually looking at that budget it appears SaskTel Centre transferred only $300k last year to the city and is projecting #350k for this year. It doesn't say what the remainder of the million dollars net profit is being used for, could be used for future capital projects (which wouldn't count as profit for the city?)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:49 PM

I'm enjoying the downtown arena discussion. Here's something I stumbled across. As of mid-year 2017, SaskTel Centre ranked in the Top 200 arena venues in the world in terms of ticket sales.

SaskTel Centre's rank was 152nd.

https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2017/...Venues_579.pdf

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Actually looking at that budget it appears SaskTel Centre transferred only $300k last year to the city and is projecting #350k for this year. It doesn't say what the remainder of the million dollars net profit is being used for, could be used for future capital projects (which wouldn't count as profit for the city?)
It also shows Amortization @ $840,000 per year. This is a non-cash item that will actually be added back in to the Cash Flow Statement.

Looking at it in a crude sense -- not taking in consideration any debt repayment -- there's more like $1.7 Million in Cash.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
I'm enjoying the downtown arena discussion. Here's something I stumbled across. As of mid-year 2017, SaskTel Centre ranked in the Top 200 arena venues in the world in terms of ticket sales.

SaskTel Centre's rank was 152nd.

https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2017/...Venues_579.pdf
Interesting, but I wonder how they arrive at their values.

Just because I'm a numbers nerd, I took at look at the ACC in Toronto. Just for the Maple Leafs, they hosted 27 games from 1/1/17 to 4/23/17. Average was about 19K per game, so that gets them an attendance of 513,000 for the Leafs alone. Pollstar shows them at 262,331 for 1/1/17 through 6/30/17. Something isn't adding up.

The note at the bottom of the Pollstar pages notes: "All figures are for tickets sold worldwide as reported to POLLSTAR for shows played between 1/1/17 and 6/30/17." I wonder if those figures are for non-sporting events only?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Cushman & Wakefield has removed the page re: Midtown redevelopment from their website
As part of the downtown arena discussion. Do you think they may incorperate an arena into the mall/convention center plan that they previously had. I have no idea how old the previous plans were. Maybe they are having a harder time attracting tenants to the mall these days and figured prepairing for an expansion wasnt worth it? This is all highly speculative.

But to entertain that idea Do you think it would be wise for Cushman and Wakefield to partner with the city on something like this? I dont know if they would if the city wanted to build it anyways they would already benefit from the close location.... however it could be a way for them to convince the city to give them TCU. For you big business minded guys how plausable do you think this is? I am not expecting this outcome at all im just wondering.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
It also shows Amortization @ $840,000 per year. This is a non-cash item that will actually be added back in to the Cash Flow Statement.

Looking at it in a crude sense -- not taking in consideration any debt repayment -- there's more like $1.7 Million in Cash.
Even $1.7 million is less than I would have thought. For a facility its size that has the amount of events that it does there doesn't seem to be much wiggle room for a large profit. Maybe they need the upgrades/new building to increase the profits to a more substantial number?

I noticed they charge $1 facility fee on concerts and Rush tickets too so that might account for ~half the profit too.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 6:51 PM

Do you think that was a decision made by the city to basicly limit profits and provide a resonably priced service for the people? The Crown Corp. philosophy. I feel like they could increase that 1 dollar fee to 5 and not affect attendance.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 8:05 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 11:29 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:32 AM

Does anyone know what the Sask Health Authority is up to these days? The website says head office is in city hospital but a news article said that 300 to 400 employees are expected to work out of the head office .. are they counting doctors and nurses at the hospital?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 2:44 PM

I went to the Amalie Arena in Tampa last night. The arena itself is 10 years younger than the Sasktel Centre, but what a difference concourse space makes. It’s a nice design, something I’d like our future downtown arena to look like. 20,000 seats is too large capacity wise, but cut that down by 3,000 and it’d be a good size for a city that thinks it will be at half a million in the area before too long.

I enjoyed the pitch of the lower level. 15 rows up from the ice at Amalie feels farther away from the action but the bowl itself isn’t as steep as the Sasktel Centre’s.

Could probably build something like that for about 250 million.

The city should be sending groups to Detroit as well. So they can see how the designers of the Little Caesars Arena integrated the restaurants into the arena and the street level entrances.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...veiled-tuesday

Four names for the new bridge? How about...?
Chief Mistawasis, Louis Riel, Waniska, Wicihitowin

https://www.saskatoon.ca/news-releas...ames-announced

My money is on Waniska.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:47 PM

Watch short videos on each of the shortlisted names here: https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/name...mmuter-parkway

I think I like Waniska the best too.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:37 PM
Pure Phase

Top Saskatoon infill developer pans zoning rules
One of Saskatoon's most prominent developers says he has given up trying to get land rezoned for projects under existing rules.

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenixPHIL TANK, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ime=1519793643

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 12:16 AM

Found this little nugget in a city committee agenda -- a tax abatement for a North Prairie project on a vacant infill site consisting of "a 5-storey, 40-unit residential condominium project with two levels of underground parking, located at 545/549 4th Avenue North in the City Park neighbourhood."

This would be at 4th Ave and Queen St, across the street from their Shangri-La project: https://www.google.ca/maps/@52.13658...7i13312!8i6656

Let's hope they do something nicer than the Shangri-La design-wise.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Do you think that was a decision made by the city to basicly limit profits and provide a resonably priced service for the people? The Crown Corp. philosophy. I feel like they could increase that 1 dollar fee to 5 and not affect attendance.
Well, I took a quick gander through Ticketmaster and the only other arena I found with the facility fee was Winnipeg's. It was $1.50. As far as I could tell Edmonton and Calgary didn't have one. So maybe $5 would be a bit steep, although I doubt it would cause the attendance to suffer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan