Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:32 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
From the 30th floor of BCBS. . .

. . .
You must have gone in Saturday. On Sunday afternoon you could barely see Vista through the clouds!

Also for imgur links you can append an h before the .jpg to get an autoresized thumbnail (h for huge. The largest of the thumbnail sizes but still only like 1000 px wide).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:33 AM

I think if they would clad the columns in the blow-through in copper,silver or gold would go a long way in unifying the tower!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
I think if they would clad the columns in the blow-through in copper,silver or gold would go a long way in unifying the tower!
The blow-through floor is going to be painted entirely black. Right now the unpainted concrete core is clashing with the black screen is all. When it's finally painted, the top portion should look like it's levitating above the rest of the structure. They can't hide the blow-through, so they are attempting to create the illusion that the top floor is floating and casting a dark shadow.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 1:45 PM

Not that we need another opinion, but this is the internet, so what the hell. The blow-through floor is going to be like Aqua's MEP floor, where there are no balconies (at least I'm guessing it's MEP). It cuts through an otherwise consistent, flowing design that won't ruin the building, but will certainly irk more than one when they fixate on it.

(I'm one of those people.)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:22 PM
Ω

I think the blow thru floor is actually pretty cool. And I understand how mechanical louvers are a necessary evil.

Where the louvers extend across the entire floor they are actually a cool element. They're another element of the "horizontal strata" as Jeanne Gang puts it.
In my opinion, the louvers at the top third that don't follow the strata rule is the only portion that bothers me. It breaks all the design rules the architecture set for itself. That's why it looks a bit sloppy, imo. The maximizing of sellable space and views probably pushed the mechanical space to the center of the tower.

The rest of the tower is beautiful and unique. And imo the blow-thru floor is actually a plus - it gives the tower another iconic design element.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I'll reserve judgement until it's done.
that's dumb. who has the patience to wait for shit anymore? how 20th century of you. sweeping hot take judgments are all anyone needs.

one of my favorite things to do when i'm at a restaurant is to barge into the kitchen 5 minutes after ordering and demand to sample my not fully prepared meal, which i then deem "garbage", and proceed to storm out in a huff.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Oct 22, 2019 at 7:03 PM. Reason: image too large

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
that's dumb. who has the patience to wait for shit anymore? how 20th century of you. sweeping hot take judgments are all anyone needs.

one of my favorite things to do when i'm at a restaurant is to barge into the kitchen 5 minutes after ordering and demand to sample my not fully prepared meal, which i then deem "garbage", and proceed to storm out in a huff.

hahaha! I learned my lesson with Gr333n. I was upset that it was not turning out as depicted in the renders. Little did I know they weren't even half done with the facade. Now it is one of my favorite midrises in the city.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 1:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: WBEZ

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:30 PM

Nice take, Chris. Sweet tones. Nice to see a picture that can embrace Chicago's "ever-present" cloudy skies with good affect.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:40 PM

I kinda don't hate the blow through floor so much in that shot.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 3:56 AM

Oct 19

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 4:02 AM

10/09/19

10/14/19

10/15/19

10/16/19

10/18/19

10/19/19

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 5:58 AM
Chicago

October 23, 2019

October 24, 2019

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 3:04 PM

Wow plenty of great photos thanks all.

With tomorrow comes the beginning of another work week, and we will get closer to seeing blow-through screens and lobby window wall

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 7:15 PM

Side note: It's kinda funny how with all these great photo's of the building going up, you never see anyone actually working on the building. Does everyone here take shots on the construction workers lunch breaks? LOL

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Side note: It's kinda funny how with all these great photo's of the building going up, you never see anyone actually working on the building. Does everyone here take shots on the construction workers lunch breaks? LOL
Having worked on construction sites in my younger days when you see someone walking around taking pictures it usually means bad news. So I think it's a sign of respect from the great photographers we are graced with here that they don't take pictures of guys and gals while working.

Personally though I think it's badass and like to see the men and women who build these beasts at work. Just my two cents.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Most of the work is inside at this stage - look back to foundation work and you will see a "few" workers in the shots. Also the construction entrance is at the end of a blocked off dead end so the usual unloading area is out of reach.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Most of the work is inside at this stage - look back to foundation work and you will see a "few" workers in the shots. Also the construction entrance is at the end of a blocked off dead end so the usual unloading area is out of reach.
Look a the last 2 months of pics of this buildings exterior. Show me a single photo of a guy (or gal) actually installing the glass. Just a meaningless observation I thought was amusing. It's like they work under the cover of darkness. Or maybe it's like what Pitt said. Camera shy.

Last edited by bhawk66; Oct 27, 2019 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 11:39 PM

if it's workers you want to see i suggest OCS...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture