HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 11:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Agreed

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 5:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Demolition eyed for crumbling St. Adolphe Bridge

Last Updated: Monday, August 24, 2009 | 5:16 PM CT Comments29Recommend16

CBC News

A pier of The St. Adolphe Bridge is shifting and sinking, causing the bridge deck to buckle. (Submitted by Tereina N) The shifting and crumbling St. Adolphe Bridge may be aided in its collapse by an explosion or two.
The provincial government is considering what it calls a "controlled demolition" of the bridge, which was closed on Aug. 20 after an inspection revealed one of its massive supporting piers had shifted, causing severe structural instability.
The pier, on the west side of the span, began to give way because of riverbank erosion and high water. Since then, it has started to sink, dropping more than three metres and causing the bridge deck to buckle.
Officials feared its total failure would come as early as Saturday but the rate of slippage of the pier has slowed, according to Ron Weatherburn, executive director of highway construction and maintenance for Manitoba Highways.
However, more rain in the area on Monday could worsen the situation, he added.
Weatherburn said explosives are being considered as a way to bring the bridge down once and for all.
"It would be a controlled explosion. We'll have experts in the field doing that," he said. "[But] we don't know if that's what we're going to be doing or not. We have to weigh all the options and the risks associated with each option."
Another option is to repair the bridge.
"With a bridge that's still moving out there, there certainly are risks to [repairing it]. What we're looking at right now are robotic-type technologies to do that so it can be as safe as possible for the workers," he said.
Major crossing for Highway 75 to United States

The bridge carries major traffic across the Red River and connects two major north-south routes: Highways 59 and 75.
Bob Stefaniuk, mayor of the Rural Municipality of Ritchot, which includes the St. Adolphe region, said the bridge closure has changed traffic patterns in the area. Motorists are now forced to use St. Mary's Road to travel between St. Adolphe and Winnipeg.
Yvonne Vernaus-Scott, who lives next to the bridge on the opposite side of the rest of the town of St. Adolphe, now has to drive a half-hour just to get her mail from the post office.
"Our general store is just across [the bridge], our mail is just across — everything that we need," she said. "And thousands of people go across this bridge to get out to the whole east side of the river, so it's a major inconvenience for a whole lot of people."
Vernaus-Scott said the structure took a beating during this spring's flooding in southern Manitoba.
"There's quite a bend here and the ice jams just came up on to my property, up against my dike," she said. "And then I also noticed that it was up against the bridge — the main part of the bridge and the first and second pier — huge, huge slabs, some of them looked like about three feet thick."

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 6:04 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it's too bad they can't figure out a way (economically) that would remove the two damaged spans and that pier without having to replace the whole thing.

I guess the geo-tech report will be the final say for this bridge.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 7:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ it's too bad they can't figure out a way (economically) that would remove the two damaged spans and that pier without having to replace the whole thing.

I guess the geo-tech report will be the final say for this bridge.

I imagine that there aren't too many crawler cranes capable of lifting up complete bridge spans kicking around. I wonder if they are looking at anything along those lines.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 1:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Officials to repair rather than explode faltering bridge

Last Updated: Thursday, August 27, 2009 | 5:17 PM CT

CBC News

Three piers holding the Pierre Delorme Bridge have become unstable, shifting and sinking, causing the bridge deck to buckle. (Submitted by Tereina N)The Manitoba government intends to dismantle and repair portions of the damaged bridge in St. Adolphe rather than use explosives to knock it down entirely.
Disassembling and removing three of seven of the Pierre Delorme Bridge's piers is expected to take two or three weeks, said Ron Weatherburn, executive director of highway construction and maintenance for Manitoba Highways.
When that work is complete, there will be an attempt to shore up the heavily-eroded riverbank. Crews will then determine whether the rest of the bridge can be salvaged or if it will still need to come down, forcing the province to start over from scratch.
'The government is committed to having a bridge there. The question right now is can we repair the existing bridge or do we need a new structure?'—Ron Weatherburn, Manitoba Highways
"Right now we are hopeful that we can save the majority of the bridge, but it is still an unstable bank out there and we are proceeding with caution and with safety in mind for everyone out there," said Weatherburn.
"The government is committed to having a bridge there. The question right now is can we repair the existing bridge or do we need a new structure? That's certainly going to partially depend on how this first step goes, and then we'll move ahead with a strategy after that."
The bridge, which carries major traffic across the Red River and connects two major north-south routes — Highways 59 and 75 — was closed Aug. 20 after an inspection revealed one of its massive supporting piers had shifted, causing severe structural instability.
The pier, on the west side of the span, began to give way because of riverbank erosion and high water. In the days following, it started to sink, dropping more than three metres and causing the bridge deck to buckle.
Officials feared its total failure would come as early as Aug. 22 but the rate of slippage of the pier has slowed, Weatherburn said. Still, two of six piers appear to have shifted slightly once again, he added.
Just how long it will take to get a usable bridge back in place is still unknown. For the foreseeable future it will remain closed, said Weatherburn. Concrete barriers remain in place so motorists do not access the bridge.
Security has also been stationed there around the clock. Motorists, boaters and the general public are reminded not to travel on, walk on or boat under the bridge at any time due to significant safety issues.
There is no word yet on how much the repair work will cost.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 6:12 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
According to my count, Sask has more cities than Alberta despite having 1/3 the population. I count 12 cities in Alberta.

Sask. names its first new city in nearly decadeUpdated Mon. Aug. 31 2009 1:52 PM ET

The Canadian Press

MEADOW LAKE, Sask. -- A growing population even during a recession has led to the creation of a new city in Saskatchewan -- the first in nearly a decade.

The Town of Meadow Lake, which traces its history back to a Hudson's Bay trading post, will officially become a city in November.

In Saskatchewan, a community must have a population of 5,000 or more to get city status.

Meadow Lake fell just short of that number in the 2006 census, but the town council and Ministry of Municipal Affairs say there's been a lot of growth over the last three years.

Premier Brad Wall says that growth is being driven by energy exploration and the potential of oilsands development.

The last Saskatchewan town to be declared a city was Humboldt in 2000 and the addition of Meadow Lake means there are now 14 cities in the province.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 3:54 PM
What could go wrong?

Greyhound Canada to stop bus service in Manitoba, NW Ont.

(CP) – 4 minutes ago

BURLINGTON, Ont. — Greyhound Canada is ceasing operations in Manitoba and northwestern Ontario.

The intercity bus company says it is giving 30 days' notice to the Manitoba Highway Traffic Board so that passenger tickets sold to date in that province can be honoured.

In Ontario, Greyhound is giving 90 days' notice to the Ontario Highway Transport Board, meaning Greyhound service in northwestern Ontario will stop as of Dec. 2.

The company, based in Burlington, Ont., also says it is reviewing its operations in Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Yukon and the Northwest Territories.

Stuart Kendrick, senior vice-president of Greyhound Canada, says the company is in a "dire" financial situation, and that government is to blame.

He says "we are no longer in a position to absorb losses that are almost solely attributable to government policies."

Copyright © 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 2:11 AM

Martensville just got city status as well yesterday. Next up Warman? Kindersley?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 4:20 AM

Here is the article from the Star Phoenix

Martensville: Saskatchewan's 15th city

Town of 6,300 receives city status in November

By Jeremy Warren, The StarPhoenixSeptember 5, 2009

Mary and Martha Letkeman have lived in and around Martensville since their father, Dave Martens, purchased 240 acres of farmland north of Saskatoon in 1939.

The sisters -- who married brothers Albert and Arthur Letkeman -- have grown along with that patch of land as it turned from empty fields to the Town of Martensville.

Now, the community of 6,300 will become Saskatchewan's 15th city in November.

"I had this vision as a child of always living in the city," said 75-year-old Mary Letkeman. "The vision took awhile to come about, but it did."

The Martens sold parcels of land for people looking to elude the hustle and bustle of Saskatoon in the late 1950s. It quickly turned from farmland, to a hamlet, to a village and then to a town in a decade.

A housing crunch in Saskatoon during the last several years forced families and couples to look elsewhere for affordable homes. They only had to look 18 kilometres north of the city to Martensville.

In 2006, the census pegged the town's population at 4,968. Three years later, the population is nearly 6,300, said Mayor Giles Saulnier.

"We used to know everybody," said Martha Letkeman, 71. "We used to have baby showers and wedding showers for everybody, but we can't do that anymore."

"I used to know everybody's phone number," said Mary Letkeman.

They both said the growth will be good for families and local businesses.

But not everyone has welcomed the city distinction. A Facebook group called Keep Martensville a Town has caused a stir in the community.

With 416 members, many of which are youth, the group has raised concerns about increased utility bills and taxes under a city regime. Rumours of ulterior motives of local politicians sprung up on coffee row. Some people are concerned Martensville will be swallowed up by Saskatoon as a suburb.

In the area surrounding Saskatoon -- which includes communities such as Martensville and Dalmeny -- the average home sold for $270,488 last month, up from $248,556 in August 2008.

The town closed its golf course in the spring of 2008 to make way for 54 lots and an aquatic centre. There are about 300 lots for sale right now in Martensville, said Saulnier.

A change in status to city doesn't mean higher taxes or immediate spending increases -- though if growth continues, infrastructure costs could rise -- but it is symbolic of Saskatchewan's economic dominance in Canada.

The province gave Meadow Lake the same distinction on Monday. It's the first time since 1913 two Saskatchewan towns became cities in the same year.

"Saskatchewan has experienced some pretty good fortunes of late -- we have the lowest unemployment rate in Canada," said Premier Brad Wall at a signing ceremony in Martensville Friday.

"Although we're not immune to the recession, we've seen continued growth in communities like Martensville."

Municipal Affairs Minister Jeremy Harrison called the town "the fastest-growing community in Saskatchewan."

The town council -- soon to be a city council on Nov. 3 at its first meeting following the upcoming civic election -- has plans to keep people pouring into the bedroom community.

A rebranding campaign is underway, complete with a new logo and focused marketing to businesses and potential citizens, said Saulnier.

"We have to have our own identity," he said in an interview. "We want to have our services in town so people can do their business here instead (of Saskatoon)."

But Martensville is feeling growing pains. Rapid development has crowded the town's three schools -- Martensville High School and Valley Manor and Venture Heights elementary schools.

"The schools right now are at their max," said Saulnier. "I just visited the schools this week and I was surprised by the numbers."

With the Prairie Spirit school division, the town has mulled solutions, including the addition of portable classrooms or the construction of a fourth school.

"Schools in the entire area (are) crowded," said Wall. "They're full."

He didn't elaborate on his government's plans for crowded rural schools, but said the Saskatchewan Party has invested extensively in education infrastructure.

- - -

TIMELINE

1939 -- Isaac Martens and his son, Dave, purchase 240 acres of land on the east side of Highway 12. Each takes 120 acres.

1947 -- Dave Martens builds a home and a road connecting it to the highway. That road is now Fifth Avenue.

1953 -- The first school in the area is built.

1954 -- The community is named Martensville.

1958 -- Martensville is declared a hamlet.

1966 -- Martensville is declared a village.

1969 -- Martensville has town status.

1976 -- Sewer and water is established.

2006 -- The population is 4,968.

2009 -- Martensville achieves city status, with an estimated population of 6,300.

jjwarren@sp.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 5:53 AM
Capitalist

Just a small question .... does Martensville even have a traffic light?? I would consider Martensville a simple suburb of Saskatoon.

I remember a number of years ago when I was in Melfort for a wedding and they just got there first traffic light, but was already defined by the province as a "city". I have always found that very humerous.

In many US States the threshold is much much higher. In Canada each province has its own criteria, but I think Saskatchwan would have to be the lowest.

Personally I wouldn't consider anything less than 100,000 a city, but there is more than just population that makes a municipality a city in my eyes.

Last edited by newflyer; Sep 6, 2009 at 6:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Just a small question .... does Martensville even have a traffic light?? I would consider Martensville a simple suburb of Saskatoon.

I remember a number of years ago when I was in Melfort for a wedding and they just got there first traffic light, but was already defined by the province as a "city". I have always found that very humerous.

In many US States the threshold is much much higher. In Canada each province has its own criteria, but I think Saskatchwan would have to be the lowest.

Personally I wouldn't consider anything less than 100,000 a city, but there is more than just population that makes a municipality a city in my eyes.
To each there own. Guess a lot of so called cities in every province wouldn't qualify under your guidelines good thing you aren't in charge.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 8:02 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
To each there own. Guess a lot of so called cities in every province wouldn't qualify under your guidelines good thing you aren't in charge.
I guess you are right about many small "cities" would not qulaify within my defination, but than again nobody would end up in a community thinking it would have the services and ammenities of what most would expect from a city. I guess it is much more subjective than that and each province makes that descision for themself.

My next question would be once a town becomes a small city, what changes occur, beyond the title? I mean, are the newly designated cities responsible for services such as there own police forces and infrastructure maintainence? I was once told that Selkirk Manitoba, which is around 9500 people, doesn't want to want to absorb the additional costs of being designated a city and thus is still a town, despite the fact that Winkler, with a smaller population, is a city.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 2:50 AM
working stiff

How convenient, my political studies class will be discussing this issue in the coming days. Things to consider...

787!!!! I may be ignorant of the issues, but, one would think many of these municipalities could amalgamate, thereby reducing costs and improving the delivery of services. We shall see.

As I understand it, there is no difference between town and city status, as far as taxes and operations are concerned. City status is a symbol, category, which suggests the relevancy, or value of a place (as much as society assigns value to it...). Is population the defining characteristic of a city? In the grand scheme of things, no.

As newflyer stated, becoming a city is more than achieving an arbitrarily set population threshold. Educational and cultural institutions, transportation networks, amenities, services, spatial arrangement of the urban landscape, history, etc. A city is a complex thing, that is: many different people, doing many different things. Within Saskatchewan, how do Meadow Lake, Martensville, and many other towns stack up against the provinces larger, more dominant cities?

The threshold set by the province should reflect the importance of our cities, the roles they play in the provincial economy, and in shaping the provincial identity.

Martensville is a bedroom community (e.g. exurb) of Saskatoon, nothing more. Although, a change in status may persuade Martensville residents to behave differently, more city-like (denser development ). Perhaps in the future they will be more receptive to amalgamation with Saskatoon? Perhaps less.

The opinion of a Meadow Lake resident...

U-turn on the road to city status

Posted 17 days ago

Years have gone by and again and again Meadow Lake has talked about applying for city status. Now it's finally happening, but the big question remains, is this town ready to become a city?

Back in 2006 council was ready to apply, but the census revealed that the population was just short of the required 5,000, sitting at 4,900. Now, three years later, they hope that the town has grown large enough.

But really, if we're still concerned whether or not we've added a couple hundred people in the last few years, is a move to city status warranted? Meadow Lake isn't experiencing a population explosion, and there's no guarantee that we won't fall even lower in the next few years.

Of course once we have city status the province won't take that away, but we'll end up calling ourselves a city smaller than some of the provinces towns.

There is a lot of good that can come from becoming a city, and federal funding might help bolster Meadow Lake into something bigger, but right now it still maintains that small town feel.

There's only one traffic light in town, no need for any bus routes, and few major retail chains. A city is meant to act as a hub for people, so what kind of city requires you to drive to Saskatoon, Prince Albert or North Battleford to get some good shopping done?

Maybe this is an attitude adopted by a big city kid like me, raised in Calgary all his life, but these are the traits I look for when I think city.

I could be wrong, becoming a city might be the greatest thing to ever happen to Meadow Lake, but personally, after living here for a few weeks, I like it the way it is.

AC

Source

Meadow Lake granted city status
Change to be made official in November
James Wood, The Star Phoenix
Published: Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Meadow Lake is set to become Saskatchewan's 14th city and Martensville is likely to soon follow.

The province announced Monday that Meadow Lake, located about 300 kilometres northwest of Saskatoon, would be granted city status even though it fell short of the necessary 5,000 population in the 2006 census.

But the government and town officials said other counts -- including the approximate 6,500 health cards in the town -- indicate its population is now much higher than the 4,771 census figure.

The change will become official following the Nov. 9 Meadow Lake council meeting, the first after the municipal election, and fulfils a long-standing goal of the town.

The status change does not affect the municipality's funding from the province and has only a limited effect on the town's administrative functions.

But Mayor Darwin Obrigewitsch said it was a "move forward" for both the community and region and will help in pitching the merits of Meadow Lake as it tries to attract industry and professionals such as doctors.

"What does 'city' mean? It all depends on what you want it to mean," he said in a telephone interview.

That point was echoed by Premier Brad Wall, who announced the change in Meadow Lake.

"It's a psychological thing. I think it's important from a branding standpoint for communities," he said.

Wall said a second town -- which he declined to name -- would also likely be granted city status this year in a "historic . . .sign of growth" for Saskatchewan.

In July, Martensville announced its intention to seek city status. It was actually larger than Meadow Lake in the most recent census, with a population of 4,968.

Town manager Scott Blevins said one of the benefits of becoming a city is that Martensville would become part of the caucus of city mayors, which represents 80 per cent of the province's population.

"You have a voice, you sometimes have a heads-up on what's going on," he said.

There are also opportunities for smaller communities to benefit from work done by larger cities, such as when Saskatoon or Regina does legal work or creates position papers relating to issues that affect cities, said Blevins.

In the 2006 census, both Martensville and Meadow Lake, as well as Warman and Kindersley, were bigger than Melville, which retains city status despite a population that fell to 4,149 three years ago.

University of Saskatchewan political studies Prof. Joe Garcea said there could be a debate on the relatively low population threshold used for city status in Saskatchewan.

If there is little difference between cities and towns in autonomy and authority, then the designation has no real meaning beyond the prestige it gives a community, he said.

"In the national or international context, city denotes a larger community with a certain kind of infrastructure and a certain critical mass of people to do things," said Garcea.

"A province and municipalities have to think very carefully about what they designate as a city. On the one hand, they do want to try and maximize the status of as many communities as possible. On the other hand, if the national or international community is looking closely and seeing very small communities designated as cities, they may not take the classification very seriously."

Wall said his Saskatchewan Party government isn't interested in changing the 5,000 threshold.

Wall was accompanied Monday by Municipal Affairs Minister Jeremy Harrison, who is also the MLA for Meadow Lake.

He won the constituency by a mere 17 votes in the 2007 election and was appointed to cabinet in May.

Wall said there were no political considerations in the change of status for Meadow Lake happening under Harrison's watch.

Saskatchewan's current cities are Saskatoon, Regina, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert, Yorkton, North Battleford, Melville, Melfort, Weyburn, Estevan, Lloydminster, Swift Current and Humboldt, the most recent to gain city status in 2000.

jwood@sp.canwest.com

Source

Last edited by Ruckus; Sep 10, 2011 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 4:34 AM

Does anyone have information on the Remodeling being done in Brandon @ Westman Place. Saw something on the Wheat Kings website about suites being installed.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 1:20 PM

For municipal statuses here is what I think the population requirements should be:

City - 2,000 and density greater than 750/sq. km.
Town - 1,000 and density greater than 400/sq. km., OR 2,000 and density greater than 100/sq. km.
Village - 100 and density greater than 100/sq. km.
Rural Municipality - No minimum requirements

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 4:49 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
For municipal statuses here is what I think the population requirements should be:

City - 2,000 and density greater than 750/sq. km.
Town - 1,000 and density greater than 400/sq. km., OR 2,000 and density greater than 100/sq. km.
Village - 100 and density greater than 100/sq. km.
Rural Municipality - No minimum requirements
2000 people??? ... with that requirement my highschool was almost a city.

My requirements would be more like:

Major City - 500,000 including a predetermined list of amenities and infrastructure
City - 100,000 (minimum), including a predetermined list of amenities and infrastructure.
Town - 5,000
Village - 100

Your density requirements are alright.

With my definition you would be able to expect a certain minimum standard when you arrived at a "city".

Last edited by newflyer; Sep 12, 2009 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 5:27 AM

Quote:
2000 people??? ... with that requirement my highschool was almost a city.

My requirements would be more like:

Major City - 500,000 including a predetermined list of amenities and infrastructure
City - 100,000 (minimum), including a predetermined list of amenities and infrastructure.
Town - 5,000
Village - 100

Your density requirements are alright.

With my definition you would be able to expect a certain minimum standard when you arrived at a "city".
So by your reckoning places like Victoria, Kamloops, Red Deer, Brandon, Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Prince George, etc, etc, etc, wouldn't be classified as cities? All have city populations well under 100,000.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 7:08 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
So by your reckoning places like Victoria, Kamloops, Red Deer, Brandon, Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Prince George, etc, etc, etc, wouldn't be classified as cities? All have city populations well under 100,000.
Victoria (metro) is well over 100,000 ..... so I would consider it a city (maybe I should have qualified my definition), but I don't think places like Moose Jaw really meet what I'd expect from a city. If you have to drive to Regina for services then your not really a city. A city IMO is a place which has ammenities (cultural, commercial, institutional, educational, recreational... ect ect) only available or found in places with the populations able to support them. Medicine Hat and Lethbridge are good sized towns, but really can't offer much in terms of urban lifestyle.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 9:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

moosejaw is a hub town that is like a city to that region

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Victoria (metro) is well over 100,000 ..... so I would consider it a city (maybe I should have qualified my definition), but I don't think places like Moose Jaw really meet what I'd expect from a city. If you have to drive to Regina for services then your not really a city. A city IMO is a place which has ammenities (cultural, commercial, institutional, educational, recreational... ect ect) only available or found in places with the populations able to support them. Medicine Hat and Lethbridge are good sized towns, but really can't offer much in terms of urban lifestyle.
Ok so now you consider Victoria a city because of it's metro population, I was expecting that. What are you going to say next? Anything smaller than Calgary is not a city?

Just like to point out the flaws in your statements. What services are lacking inLethbridge that you can't get in Calgary? What no opera? Only one starbucks instead of 100?

Population really means jack shit. If the community can handle your needs then in my opinion it should be a city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan