HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
That rumor was flying around twitter last week. That space is confirmed to be Urban Shoes who also have a store in Gander. Its actually a really good shoe store lol. Not a Five Guys to my husband's sadness.
I heard from some people that Five Guys is going out by Costco! Anyone else hear that?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmw View Post
I heard from some people that Five Guys is going out by Costco! Anyone else hear that?
That rumored spot turned out to be urban shoes.

Five guys could eventually show up in Galway, but there's nothing in the works as of right now.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 11:30 AM

So the sign is up now on the corner of Portugal Cove Rd and World Parkway at the airport of the new restaurants they are building next to Holiday Inn Express. The restaurants are The Rock Steakhouse Bar & Grill plus a Robins Donuts franchise too. This project is being developed by the Penney Group which also owns the Hoilday Inn Express.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
So the sign is up now on the corner of Portugal Cove Rd and World Parkway at the airport of the new restaurants they are building next to Holiday Inn Express. The restaurants are The Rock Steakhouse Bar & Grill plus a Robins Donuts franchise too. This project is being developed by the Penney Group which also owns the Hoilday Inn Express.
Be interesting to see what 'The Rock" thinks of this restaurant named after him.. heh.

Ron.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Be interesting to see what 'The Rock" thinks of this restaurant named after him.. heh.

Ron.
Curious to see what this new steakhouse will be like - a little competition for Clancys at the Comfort Inn perhaps?... It's sorely needed.
Not in the least bit excited to see a Robins Donuts - truly terrible coffee.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Curious to see what this new steakhouse will be like - a little competition for Clancys at the Comfort Inn perhaps?... It's sorely needed.
I am sure that the Steakhouse will do Fantastic . 2 Hotels to draw from, plus Airport Heights and Portugal Cove --- they will do great !

But what in the hell is Robins Donuts thinking ? Tim Hortons is on the opposite street corner --- Good luck to them !

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
But what in the hell is Robins Donuts thinking ? Tim Hortons is on the opposite street corner --- Good luck to them !
Maybe Robin's is trying to capitalize on any overflow from Tim Horton's, who knows? But I agree with you.... Good luck to them!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I actually prefer Robins to Tims coffee, but their service model thus far in NL sucks, with the exception of the one on Topsail Road (Walmart lot).

The one they had in Bay Bulls always had only 1 cash open of 2, and sometimes the line would be out the door. That is until Tim's went on the opposite corner and you could get a coffee in 30 sec; then Robins promptly closed.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
I actually prefer Robins to Tims coffee, but their service model thus far in NL sucks, with the exception of the one on Topsail Road (Walmart lot).

The one they had in Bay Bulls always had only 1 cash open of 2, and sometimes the line would be out the door. That is until Tim's went on the opposite corner and you could get a coffee in 30 sec; then Robins promptly closed.
The Robin's on the main road in Bay Bulls is closed now? Where is the Tim's? At the Orangestore?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPKE View Post
The Robin's on the main road in Bay Bulls is closed now? Where is the Tim's? At the Orangestore?
Yes the Tims is in the Orange Store and is small. The Robins closed not long after the Tims opened and I miss it. We used to take a drive out that way with a stop into Robins on Sundays sometimes. The Tims has like 1 or 2 tables I think and you're basically in the store. Not near as nice.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:27 PM

Greco/Captain Sub and Little Caesars in Paradise are now open. I believe the new Shoppers will be opening next week.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 4:29 PM

Not really a local story but IHOP which currently only a Canadian location in Niagara Falls are expanding into Toronto big time in the coming years. The article also mentioned opening 5 locations in the Atlantic Provinces starting with Moncton. I wonder will NL be on their radar?

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2019/10/ihop-toronto/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Not really a local story but IHOP which currently only a Canadian location in Niagara Falls are expanding into Toronto big time in the coming years. The article also mentioned opening 5 locations in the Atlantic Provinces starting with Moncton. I wonder will NL be on their radar?

Who knows? I sort of think that between Coras, Smittys and Dennys, the pancake/all day breakfast market in the area is taken though.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:

The story posted does not state that.. IHOP has many locations in the Vancouver Lower Mainland area. which is currently part of Canada.

https://www.ihop.com/en/restaurants?searchQuery=v6p3s7

Ron.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:06 AM

I stand corrected. Sorry I misinterpreted that. I meant to say the closest IHOP right now to Toronto is in Niagara Falls. My mistake. And yes, I know Vancouver is part of Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
The story posted does not state that.. IHOP has many locations in the Vancouver Lower Mainland area. which is currently part of Canada.

https://www.ihop.com/en/restaurants?searchQuery=v6p3s7

Ron.

Last edited by Arrakis; Nov 1, 2019 at 5:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:

I believe the one in Moncton is already open, or is about to open very soon. Looks like the expansion has already started. I've been to iHop a few times in Florida. It's good, I'd put it on par with Smitty's and Denny's... nice to have options though.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:23 PM

There's a new restaurant opening where Portobello's was - Vu. From their Facebook page: "Vu Resto & Bar. We overlook nothing... but the best view in the city! OPENING REALLY SOON! 115 Duckworth Street. For your Christmas and New Year's reservations call us at 709.552.1635. Owners Barry Bennett and Executive Chef Chris Chafe look forward to welcoming you. "

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 6:45 PM

Quote:

There's also an IHOP in Winnipeg. js.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 11:42 AM

Pizza Delight in Mount Pearl has been renovating for the last few weeks. They were working on the outside while the restaurant remained open. They are now closed while renovations are being done on the inside. They seem to be going with the look of the recently renovated Aberdeen Avenue location.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
Pizza Delight in Mount Pearl has been renovating for the last few weeks. They were working on the outside while the restaurant remained open. They are now closed while renovations are being done on the inside. They seem to be going with the look of the recently renovated Aberdeen Avenue location.
On the Pizza Delight topic recently Avalon Mall has been advertising for a Pizza Delight franchise opportunity on their Facebook feed and website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's