HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 1:53 AM

New Delta logo on the old Raddison for anyone out of town

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 12:21 AM

Midtown construction. The “jut out” is about 6-8 feet on to the sidewalk, so looks nice when looking west.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 2:46 PM

Midtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
Discussion has gone a little limp around here...

The renovation to Midtown on the Sears end of the mall looks to be going strong from what I've noticed on the outside. The South entrance has a new steel girder structure erected that sticks out more from the main edge of the building which will be interesting to see what they do with that (it also seems taller than the building). The upper Southwest corner (above where MEC is going?) has glass in already that's looking great as well.

In other mall reno news, Centre looks to have started their renos and have torn out the ceilings throughout the hallways.
I believe that the 'jut out' along 20th st. is a new dock for loading/unloading shipments.. so probably just a boring, grey box. Haha. But, the rest of the reno is shaping up nicely! I wonder when they will start to announce the new tenants??

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet1991 View Post
I believe that the 'jut out' along 20th st. is a new dock for loading/unloading shipments.. so probably just a boring, grey box. Haha. But, the rest of the reno is shaping up nicely! I wonder when they will start to announce the new tenants??
Hmm...you could be right. Seems like an odd place for it, but I guess since they're "turning the mall around" that may make sense. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there could be an area for semi's to pull in then backup into it (if that's what those shapes represent in that area on this drawing)?

You can also make it out in this render (looks like a boring grey box as predicted lol):

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 3:42 PM

That's definitely what that structure is on the mall. Looks like most of the shipping and receiving will be concealed under the food court along with that addition, so that isn't too bad. Maybe they will activate that wall with something?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 2:25 AM
Registered Geek

Preston & Louise

I just saw this signage up this morning for the corner of Preston and Louise... finally!!

https://www.icrcommercial.com/sales-...xoCtXQQAvD_BwE

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I just saw this signage up this morning for the corner of Preston and Louise... finally!!

Eh, another grey-tan one storey strip mall with a glut of front yard parking... Does not inspire. Why don't builders want to hide their parking and activate their building fronts more? This is on a future BRT line and next to a very high density seniors' development (i.e. should be friendly for walking).

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post

Typical garbage on a corner that could become part of something nice if the whole mall area gets redeveloped.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 8:16 PM

Surprised this hasn't found its way onto this board yet:

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-for-new-arena

I'm deeply skeptical; an in-city arena is a good idea, but one not taking up riverfront space. Arenas are great and active when something's on, but they're dead when they're empty, and if I'd bought in the Banks I wouldn't want to look at one all day.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 8:29 PM

This screams "Dundurn Brightonview" all over again to me....I would not take this too seriously. Seems we have heard this concept of Chinese investors once or twice before....

But, I agree...I use to think the riverbank would be a cool place for arena, but not so convinced anymore...feel it needs to have an emphasis on residential and retail/restaurant emphasis. Perhaps a great new building for a Meewasin interpretative centre would be a nice addition/attraction.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 10:09 PM

I think an arena on the riverbank isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it is one that would have to be done correctly. An arena situated right on our riverbank suggests to me something architecturally significant and iconic, but I don't believe Saskatoon has the appetite to spend the money to ensure either of those things.

The proposal drawing in that article just ain't it, either.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post

New Delta logo on the old Raddison for anyone out of town
I’m guessing Regina will get this too?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I’m guessing Regina will get this too?
Most of the other Delta hotels in Canada are pretty modern both from the building and in-room perspective. That hotel is much closer to being on message for the Delta brand than the old Delta.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 9:27 AM

Gary Marvin seems like the type of guy that loves his own ideas so much and is so sure of them being the most correct that he’s flabbergasted when Saskatoon doesn’t embrace him as our much needed saviour.

It is hilarious and most appropriate that he just used his 1985 arena sketch to mock up some residential towers around it, which is a literal illustration of how dated his ideas are. There is a perfectly good plan for those remaining River Landing parcels to develop them with residences and active uses. An arena on the riverbank would be a disservice to the considerable improvements made in this area. There are far better locations.

The SP allows him to make his pitch uncritically. They could have asked him what progress he’s made on his sustainable community east of Wanuskewin since trumpeting it in 2016: https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-community/amp

He has zero legitimacy.

Last edited by Echoes; Apr 1, 2019 at 10:06 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:01 AM

A rather critical assessment, but sadly bang on.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 2:52 PM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
his 1985 arena sketch to mock up some residential towers around it, which is a literal illustration of how dated his ideas are
Not only is it a very stale design, that sketch mostly illustrates he has very little understanding of structural engineering - all four of the "towers" he drew have their centre of gravity entirely over what would be the playing surface, floor or rink of the facility underneath. That would be a very grandiose (Billion$) build if it was to someone support the load of those towers without a forest of columns going through the seating areas. How can someone that has devoted that many decades to this vision not have thought through this already? It could be built but who on earth would ever agree to pay for it?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 5:30 PM

Curious to hear more opinions about a stadium being located anywhere downtown. I'm not overly familiar with Saskatoon, and I can see the reasoning for not wanting tons of space along the riverfront taken up by a stadium, but I think a stadium is necessary downtown. The few times I have tried to attend events at the current rink were an absolute mess.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
Curious to hear more opinions about a stadium being located anywhere downtown. I'm not overly familiar with Saskatoon, and I can see the reasoning for not wanting tons of space along the riverfront taken up by a stadium, but I think a stadium is necessary downtown. The few times I have tried to attend events at the current rink were an absolute mess.
The consultants report on a combined arena/convention centre has not been fully released as to suggestions for a location...just that it SHOULD be downtown.

The most discussed options seem to be the North City Yards (north of 25th behind Police Station and West of 1st Avenue) and the parking lot across from the current TCU Place between the Holiday Inn Hotel and Hilton Garden Inn. There has also been some suggesting the Toys'r'us site.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 8:02 PM

This Victor Lam and Saska Holdings sounds like another Brightenview IMHO lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan