HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I've never understood how they can claim to have so many floors when it isn't true--this needs to be called out for what it is. What it is not is the country's tallest building in any way IMO; that honor will remain with the Willis/Sears Tower with its true number of floors and roof height.
Please read Roadcrusiers explanation.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 7:09 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Please read Roadcrusiers explanation.
Thanks chris. I can buy into some of that, but in fact, 1WTC will be judged by the same standards as other buildings. Some years ago, the Sears Tower was officially reduced from 110 to 108 real floors. As far as actual floor count goes, I've always thought it's irrelevant in relation to the actual height of a building--look at the Transamerica Pyramid for example. The 220' on top don't count as floors since they aren't; the building is 853' high but contains only 48 floors. There are many other examples of this around the world, especially concerning double height mechanical floors, etc., that aren't counted as more than one floor. 1WTC will have the roof height, but not the floor count and, unfortunately, the spire/antenna will probably not count either. If it did, then the antennas on ESB, Sears/Willis and the John Hancock Center should also be counted.

At any rate, the WTC comeback is a great plus and justifiable source of pride for NYC and the nation, despite the deficiencies and weirdness of 1WTC. Now, bring on 2 and 3 WTC!!

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 8:38 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I am going to quote what I said on the One World Trade Center thread to make this clear.

"...One World Trade Center has a higher floor to ceiling ratio for each floor than the Twin Towers had. The Twin Towers each had a floor to ceiling ratio of about 12 feet. One World Trade Center has a floor to ceiling ratio of 13'4 feet. Another difference is the mechanical floors which are equivalent to two office floors in height. Put that together and One World Trade Center would have about 104-105 floors. It is still technically a building that goes over 100 floors. The floor count is different though, and I am sure that some of you are mad that we are getting 105 floors when the Twin Towers stood at 110 because it's a loss of 5 floors, but it is just as tall as the Twin Towers were."
That would be a bizarrely high floor-to-ceiling. You presumably mean floor-to-floor height.

Nobody measures buildings by floor-to-ceiling...it varies within each space, room to room and depending on beams, mechanical, etc.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 12:22 AM

One World Trade Center Has Many mechanical floors.
They take up much office space, but mechanical floors are very tall and as Roadcrusier said, are the equivalent to two office floors.

Remember- A few months back it took so long to get done those floors? Those were mechanical floors.

Floors 93-99 are Mezzanine floors.

Floor 20 starts the first office floor.
Floor 89 starts the last office floor.
There is a skylobby on one of the floors in between, but i can't remember.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 1:10 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Floors 20 to 63 and 65 to 89 are office floors. Floor 64 is the sky lobby.

For the record, I don't think this building is "a piece of crap," at least not anymore...

I kinda think it would have been cool if SOM would have designed One WTC like they did with the 80-story China World Trade Center completed a few years ago. That's my only hang-up (orther than the obvious spire fiasco). All in all, I'm excited for this building.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:13 AM
Houston:Considered Good

So what's the status of the spire change; is it official, is it under review?

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:34 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
That would be a bizarrely high floor-to-ceiling. You presumably mean floor-to-floor height.

Nobody measures buildings by floor-to-ceiling...it varies within each space, room to room and depending on beams, mechanical, etc.
How dare you get technical! I was going to suggest looking up the word 'ratio'. But why get the actual terms right when one can keep calling an 85 floor building a 104 floor building (or 105 or 108 or whatever)?

Why do we need this thread again? There's already a construction thread for this tower and this thread has offered nothing to the discussion of the merits of the spire (which we also have a thread for already).

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 6:25 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Floors 20 to 63 and 65 to 89 are office floors. Floor 64 is the sky lobby.

For the record, I don't think this building is "a piece of crap," at least not anymore...

I kinda think it would have been cool if SOM would have designed One WTC like they did with the 80-story China World Trade Center completed a few years ago. That's my only hang-up (orther than the obvious spire fiasco). All in all, I'm excited for this building.

I think 90 is the top office floor.

The building is not a piece of crap, but compared to what it was with the spire (which made the building) it kind of is now unless something is done.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
How dare you get technical! I was going to suggest looking up the word 'ratio'. But why get the actual terms right when one can keep calling an 85 floor building a 104 floor building (or 105 or 108 or whatever)?

Why do we need this thread again? There's already a construction thread for this tower and this thread has offered nothing to the discussion of the merits of the spire (which we also have a thread for already).

Ok, Not to be rude but I've explained why this thread is here on the other thread.
I created this thread because he construction thread is being overwhelmed with talk about the spire. I created this thread to talk about the design change.
The spire construction will always be in he construction thread.
But I created this for people to voice their opinions of the matter.

Next, it's not just about the spire,its about the safety and the base.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 4:21 AM
DENNAB

I hope they at least paint over the antenna somehow, or fill it up with brodcast equipment to cover the skinny part.

Or Durst could die in the next month, that would be best of all...

Last edited by Zapatan; May 31, 2012 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 7:40 PM

Well I just got kicked over here from the 1WTC forum (I did not know this had its own forum) but there is now no way you can call this a spire. It is an antenna.

The CTBUH ranks the height of buildings using three different methods:

1. Height to architectural top of the building. This is the main criterion under which the CTBUH ranks the height of buildings. Heights are measured from the level of the lowest, significant, open-air, pedestrian entrance to the top of the building, inclusive of spires but excluding items such as flag poles or antennae.
2. To highest occupied floor: Height to the floor of the highest occupied floor of the building.
3. To tip of spire/antenna: Height to the tip of spire, pinnacle, antenna, mast or flag pole.

This building is not the nations tallest. Soon it will not even be New Yorks tallest. That is all there is to it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 7:50 PM

Why do we need this thread again? There's already a construction thread for this tower and this thread has offered nothing to the discussion of the merits of the spire (which we also have a thread for already).[/QUOTE]

We need it because when we want to talk about whether then antenna (yes, it is an antenna now, not a spire) should count as height, people say we are complaining and to go post on a a forum dedicated to this topic. This is not a welcome topic on the construction forum where all people want to do is look at the pictures carlos takes every day and debate the current height of the building and estimate the completion date.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 9:38 PM
Website Manager

I've seen this rendering of the new spire on SSC (the one on the right) but I have't found the full rendering posted anywhere. Does anyone have it?

http://xl.skyscrapercity.com/?page=b...erday=20120531

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 9:38 AM

What a shame. That makes it look like the top of the Ostankino Tower..

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
I've seen this rendering of the new spire on SSC (the one on the right) but I have't found the full rendering posted anywhere. Does anyone have it?

The original chosen design was a nod of solidarity with the statue of liberty. The official first design shown above is an unfortunate "screw you!" to the statue of liberty. The last design is a "screw this. We just don't give a fk"

Last edited by ocman; Jun 3, 2012 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post

the New York Observer

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 2:06 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Thumbs down

The ring looks ridiculous now too--I didn't realize that they simplified it!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
The ring looks ridiculous now too--I didn't realize that they simplified it!
they didn't, it just doesn't have any equipment on it...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 3:20 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
they didn't, it just doesn't have any equipment on it...
Thanks...I went to the main thread and read pages on this. It's painful to sort through the babble over there, especially people asking questions that have already been well explained, while others are talking about their dreams, discussing politics, etc., etc.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 2:40 PM

Spires can't be removed.
Antenna's can.
Since they don't plan to remove it, it's a spire. it may not look like one, but it is.
It's hideous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture