HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 3:43 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightOn! View Post
A certain airline answered internally a question from an Employee that SAT is on their list for service in the future.

Dun dun dun.
Who's the "certain" airline?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
The last time there was a "MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT" we got stuck with Sun Country.

If this is anything I bet it's the return of Spirit Airlines

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
The last time there was a "MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT" we got stuck with Sun Country.

If this is anything I bet it's the return of Spirit Airlines
That was my first thought. Hah, "stuck" with Sun Country. Love it. At least SAT got Portland out of that announcement!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:35 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'll fly Spirit on a flight that's 90 minutes or less. Anything more is an assault on my humanity.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
They have a huge love for BOS. Doubt anything happens this year though due to Corona cuts. Late 2021 possibly.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightOn! View Post
They have a huge love for BOS. Doubt anything happens this year though due to Corona cuts. Late 2021 possibly.
Aaaaaah.... the elusive BOS route! If Jetblue makes it down to SAT... that would be saying something about the market in a big way I think.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:57 PM

January 2020 stats out, passenger count down 0.3%

https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0...-27-161005-977

Other airport news, Aeromexico is increasing SAT-MEX from 1 to 2x daily starting in June.

Alaska is reducing SAT-SEA service in September from 2 to 1x daily.

Delta is bringing A220 service on SAT-DTW in April. AFAIK, this would be the first scheduled A220 service in SAT.

United is increasing SAT-IAD from 2 to 3x daily in September.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 4:17 PM

San Antonio's airport seems small for its metro area. It's the main airport for South Texas in addition to San Antonio. Does anyone else feel the same way? Have there been any plans to expand it or build a new one?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
San Antonio's airport seems small for its metro area. It's the main airport for South Texas in addition to San Antonio. Does anyone else feel the same way? Have there been any plans to expand it or build a new one?
Unfortunately we're about 20 to 25 years behind the three major Texas cities.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Unfortunately we're about 20 to 25 years behind the three major Texas cities.
No I do not think we are.

Texas has two cities with world class airports because one is a hub for foreign conglomerates’ North American headquarters and the other is the energy capital of the country and arguably the work.

Then you have a strong capitol city with a thriving technology economy...

Then you have a thriving middle sized metro that has made great strides in income growth which has bolstered our airport. San Antonio has had to overcome being a blue collar poor city and for whatever reason only half the city has. Everyone knows we are a tale of two cities segregated by geography and income.

Last edited by Rynetwo; Mar 29, 2020 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 5:25 PM

Quote:
San Antonio has had to overcome being a blue collar poor city and for whatever reason only half the city has. Everyone knows we are a tale of two cities segregated by geography and income.
Is it fair to call San Antonio a blue collar poor city? I thought manufacturing was a solid middle class economic base, not to mention the innumerable military bases. I wonder if San Antonio can ever develop like San Diego. What do you think?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 5:29 PM

Because of the current state of the world economy as a result of the ongoing health crisis, the airline industry will struggle to get back to anything close to the vitality they only recently experienced. Therefore, airports, big and small, will be badly hurt by the dearth of flights, both local and domestic, in the coming months and years. This shock to the industry will result in an overall contraction not unlike what 9/11 did, which took over a decade for a recovery to recent levels. Couple that with the fact that most US airports depend on local and state tax revenue for some of their support and, with the undoubtedly decrease in tax revenue due to the employment situation, airport budgets will be on the chopping block, at least for the foreseeable future.

Bottom line, discussions about airport capacity and size will likely be about too much capacity and excesses for a long time to come.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 6:31 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
Is it fair to call San Antonio a blue collar poor city? I thought manufacturing was a solid middle class economic base, not to mention the innumerable military bases. I wonder if San Antonio can ever develop like San Diego. What do you think?
Yes, completely fair. Our per capita income is 182nd among the nation's metro areas, down among the likes of Victoria TX, Amarillo TX and New Orleans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

We have some manufacturing here, but blue collar doesn't just refer to manufacturing jobs. It's also the call centers/back office ops and hospitality industry stuff that make up the backbone of the private sector economy here. As for military jobs, they're certainly a decent way to make a living, particularly when you consider the benefits. But I don't think many people are getting rich off Air Force paychecks.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 7:16 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

San Antonio isn’t a blue collar metropolitan, that stigma needs to end already.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Half of it is and the other half is not.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
First, why is "blue collar" a stigma?

Second, if San Antonio isn't blue collar, what is it, the epicenter of tech??

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Half of it is and the other half is not.
This is not true. I’m not even sure what it’s even supposed to mean other than 50% to 50%, which itself is untrue.

Again, this isn’t a perception thing, it’s a numbers thing. San Antonio isn’t blue collar.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
First, why is "blue collar" a stigma?

Second, if San Antonio isn't blue collar, what is it, the epicenter of tech??
I don’t have an answer for your first question, if just is.

As to your second point, we’ll, that is not only a loaded question, it’s just purposely sardonic. Doesn’t even deserve a response to be honest.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
I don’t have an answer for your first question, if just is.

As to your second point, we’ll, that is not only a loaded question, it’s just purposely sardonic. Doesn’t even deserve a response to be honest.
Actually, it's an honest question. What is San Antonio if not blue collar, in your opinion? Either you have an answer or not, but don't deflect by blaming me for your lack of an answer.

People like you are the answer to the first question, who view blue collar as a stigma. San Antonio is very blue collar, as well as white collar, and other descriptors, and there in nothing wrong with that, or pointing it out.

ETA: I'm not denying that other industries outside of blue collar are growing rapidly here, Bioscience and Bio Terrorism among the top. But to deny our blue collar standing is silly, and again, there is nothing wrong it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Actually, it's an honest question. What is San Antonio if not blue collar, in your opinion? Either you have an answer or not, but don't deflect by blaming me for your lack of an answer.

People like you are the answer to the first question, who view blue collar as a stigma. San Antonio is very blue collar, as well as white collar, and other descriptors, and there in nothing wrong with that, or pointing it out.

ETA: I'm not denying that other industries outside of blue collar are growing rapidly here, Bioscience and Bio Terrorism among the top. But to deny our blue collar standing is silly, and again, there is nothing wrong it.
If the two choices are either blue or white and I said San Antonio isn’t a blue collar city, I wouldn’t think I’d have to then explain what San Antonio is. I would assume by a simple process of elimination, the answer would be a given.

It’s simple, the majority of jobs in San Antonio are white collar.

That’s why I can say as a fact, San Antonio isn’t a blue collar city.

That is a provable fact.

Now, I feel you’ll find some way to argue that it’s false or incorrect or not a true representation.

Aside from all that. It’s the year 2020 and I don’t even think collars even apply anymore, so in the end it’s rather pointless imo.

But, if we are using those identifiers, San Antonio is WHITE COLLAR and that’s not a matter of opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio